Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 GLT values

Views : 1334

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2018, 14:37   #1
Mark1Stu

Default Volvo 240 GLT values

I will shortly be advertising my 1988 52,000 mile 240GLT Saloon. Just serviced, with new cambelt just fitted.

I thought I had a reasonable handle on prices but now I'm not so sure.

What would members suggest as a price range for near concours (mine isn't quite, but has excellent paint, soft leather interior, low mileage, absolutely zero rust in the rear arches and wheel wells, no parking dings or scuffs, and drives very well).

It's an auto in dark metallic blue with biscuit leather interior. It has Volvo fog lights (with Volvo covers) and has never had a tow bar fitted.

I realise people would prefer pictures (which will follow in due course), and 'it's worth what someone is prepared to pay', but views on upper price range would be helpful.

I was originally thinking of advertising it at £6495ono. Not cheap, but is it realistic (I'm not expecting to sell it within a few days..)?

Helpful views gratefully received.

Stuart
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 15:09   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Prices are very subjective aren't they, Stuart? If somebody really wants your car, then they may very well meet your asking price.

However, If I was looking, I think I would have a self-imposed ceiling of £5K in mind, but only because it is a saloon. I might possibly be tempted to go beyond that for an outstanding estate, which are generally considered more desirable, and therefore easier to sell, but it would need to be an exceptional example.

You say that you are in no hurry to sell, and the fact that you are willing to consider offers may encourage serious buyers to make you a sensible bid, but I do feel that you will struggle to get beyond £5K. That's my gut feeling - others may differ.

Regards, John.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 15:18   #3
Mark1Stu

Thanks John.

Maybe I should have tooth brushed cleaned my 62,000 mile 240GLT estate and advertised that instead.

In fact, driving around in an early C70 these days, I'm minded to cash in the GLT estate as well and get an early V70 or 850 for added comfort and performance.

But like last time I did similar, I eventually went back to 240s for an uncomplicated life.
Old May 23rd, 2018, 15:46   #4
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Stuart - you've said it all - prices are subjective and it depends how much the buyer wants your car

52k miles is astonishing given the age and that is one of your trump selling cards - colour/seat combo would be another in my book

I know of a silver GLT saloon sold about 18 months ago by a trader which (if I recall rightly) had about 80k miles on it and was in really super condition (can't remember if auto or manual). That trader advertised the car in excess of £10k. He didn't get that, but got somewhere near it

So you may be underselling your car: I think it depends how quickly you want to sell it, whether the right customer is out there right now (total lottery) and how hard-nosed you want, or don't want, to be about the price

Good luck and let us know what you get for it in the end, just out of interest

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Lewin For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:40   #5
Mark1Stu

Thanks Nicholas. I've been fluctuating between an asking price of £7995ono and £6495ono. So your thoughts chime with mine.

With perhaps £5,000 as the back stop (if it needs to go).....or take a chance at an auction.
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:57   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

And there you have it, Stuart!! I hope that Nicholas is proved right and I wrong in this instance, but I'm afraid my gut still says five, max.

If it was an estate it may make a little more and should certainly be easier to sell. Remember also that dealers have legal obligations to fulfill and overheads to recover, which a private seller does not; that might justify paying a higher price for some.

Regards, John.

PS I also drive an early V70, but do not regard it as a classic ..... yet! I also have fond memories of my old '83 245GLT, (MOD, factory aircon, in blue with blue plush interior), which I owned for three years from '95 and sold with 133K up for £450!
Old May 24th, 2018, 11:21   #7
Mark1Stu

Yes, thanks John and to Nick for your views.

I'll let you know what transpires. Tumbleweed or tonnes of money!!

Stuart
Old May 24th, 2018, 13:04   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

It might be worth consulting/considering the auction house where Reg obtained a good sale price recently.

See this thread. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280307

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; May 24th, 2018 at 13:07. Reason: Added link to the relevant thread.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 20:41   #9
Reg E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
It might be worth consulting/considering the auction house where Reg obtained a good sale price recently.

See this thread. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280307

If it really is a nice example, put it in an auction, let the trade and classic car guys make their mind up....

What's the service history? - not so important with a classic that has a lot of years under it's belt and is just a toy but any '87'ish car that doesn't yet meet the mainstream of classics the value is going to be subjective. (I found a toothbrush was really useful to get into the crevices)

Last edited by Reg E; May 24th, 2018 at 21:27. Reason: grammar and spieling make me luke a dick
Reg E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 20:31   #10
Mark1Stu

Oh well, here we go.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...44#post2411244

Advertising on here and in other media will find its value in due course. Thanks for the advice chaps.

I'll post some pictures in the for sale section in the next few days. Be kind 😀