Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whistling / buzzing noise

Views : 374

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 20:02   #1
volvo2
Master Member

Default Whistling / buzzing noise

Whistling / buzzing noise at speed and after driving some distance – Volvo 850 1994, 200k miles

I’ve been getting a buzzing sound, but only after driving for at least 40 miles and only when traveling above 20 mph or so. I think it is coming from the left rear wheel. It comes more when turning right and fades when turning left. I’ve also noticed that hub is getting warmer than it should. I found today that, due to rust, the pads were not retracting properly. I sorted that out but still have the problem, ie the sound and the heat. Wheel seems t rotate freely and I can’t feel an movement.

Could this be a wheel bearing on the way out?
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 20:19   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

It's certainly exhibiting the signs of a wheel bearing being worn.When you turn right the weight transfer puts more pressure on the left hand side wheels and so the noise gets louder and obviously when turning left the pressure on the left wheels is reduced thereby lessening the noise.Others more knowledgeable than me may be able to comment/advise further.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 22:14   #3
jack taylor
Master Member

I second Dippydog.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:10   #4
volvo again
Master Member

Have to agree, wheel bearing.
Relatively easy to replace...I think it's the same as v70 models but you need to check first.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:55   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

From my experience in the V70 the wheel bearings can get quite noisy before you'll detect movement by pushing and pulling on the wheel, the trick I learned from the forum is to jack the wheel up and spin it while lightly touching the suspension spring, the slight roughness in the bearing will make the spring vibrate.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 09:33   #6
volvo2
Master Member

Many thanks for the replies and especially the link to the guidance on bearing replacement - looks fairly straightforward. I will replace the bearing and report back on the outcome.

I did also wonder if it could be the handbrake some how delaminating and rubbing but the heat seems too extreme for that, and as I mentioned before, the wheel rotates freely when rotated by hand.

I did also try pressing and releasing the foot brake just in case the calliper was sticking in some way (I replaced this calliper with genuine Volvo about 50k miles ago). That seemed OK but I do wonder if that might be going on while on the road. Hopefully not and it is the bearing causing the problem.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 14:27   #7
volvo2
Master Member

Over the weekend I replaced my left-hand rear wheel bearing, as well as the rear brake pads and brake shoes (for the handbrake).

I hope this new bearing has solved the problem. Have driven 60 miles so far without the heating or the sound.

By the way, in case anyone else is replacing a rear bearing - on pre-1995 cars, like mine, they have a 20mm nut (to hold the bearing on the stub-axle, while post 1995 a 22mm nut. The Volvo guidance says the 20mm nuts (which include an integral locked device) should NOT be refitted. Unlike the 22mm nuts, which can be refitted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post: