Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

De-chromed XC60

Views : 4596

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 23:45   #21
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandada View Post
forgot to mention, the inscription grill that i have, the vertical stripes remain untouched as they are black on the sides but chrome at the front. I consulted the workshop and they said there is no point as the wrap wont stay on for long. I decided to leave it and I think the result is actually quite cool. Mainly black but with a subtle hint of chrome.

R-design wouldn't have such a problem.
My XC90 Inscription grill is a dull silver all over with a chrome surround. It is quite possible that it will need painting if I want it all black. Perhaps this would look OK with the chrome left as is and just the vertical slats painted gloss black?

If my car wasn't so very dark grey, the silver bits would be OK, but the contrast just now just isn't that pleasing to my eyes.

First world problems eh!
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 23:49   #22
Liandada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
My XC90 Inscription grill is a dull silver all over with a chrome surround. It is quite possible that it will need painting if I want it all black. Perhaps this would look OK with the chrome left as is and just the vertical slats painted gloss black?

If my car wasn't so very dark grey, the silver bits would be OK, but the contrast just now just isn't that pleasing to my eyes.

First world problems eh!
Yes I know what you mean now. Just googled the xc90 grille. I think something like this would improve it dramatically!

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-VOLV...93?_mwBanner=1
Liandada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liandada For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 17:27   #23
apnicolle

I’m not sure what is worse...the fact that I had to go outside to look at my car to see what bits were or were not chromed, or the fact that now I’m back inside I’ve forgotten already. Must mean I’m happy with it...
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 17:46   #24
Bernard F

I am glad we are all different. I love the chrome on my car and love it all the more when I see cars without it.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:08   #25
gmk666

Thread resurrection time - I’m thinking of getting the window surrounds, roof rails and mirrors wrapped black on my MY18 XC90 R-Design.
I really like the look of the facelift cars, and as I’m now keeping my car for a couple of years, I’m going to give it a little update.
OP - where did you get this done, and are you still happy with the results?
Or can anyone recommend a body shop in North London that do this sort of thing?
Many thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:44   #26
mr rusty

Quote:
Or to hide the fact that this is a D4~ =)
LOL I took mine off my (black) V90 and replaced it with a nice yellow prancing moose badge https://www.prancingmoose.com/C3domespecial9-181lo.jpg
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 11:57   #27
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk666 View Post
Thread resurrection time - I’m thinking of getting the window surrounds, roof rails and mirrors wrapped black on my MY18 XC90 R-Design.
I really like the look of the facelift cars, and as I’m now keeping my car for a couple of years, I’m going to give it a little update.
Many thanks.
A good starting point on finding someone good to do this is your local dealer.
They may have done this for someone else and should only use someone decent.
If they don't know, go visit one of the marque car dealerships in your area - Jaguar, Landrover etc.... a lot of people get wrapping done on these so again, using someone that a dealer uses will hopefully ensure you get a good job done.
I had my Window surrounds done on mine for £200
Options: Heated Front Screen, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Tempa Spare Wheel, Retractable Towbar
Miles of Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miles of Smiles For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 16:47   #28
Liandada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk666 View Post
Many thanks.
Hey, I got mine down near Westfields white city. There is a wrapping place called Eurotints.

Unit 6 Triangle Business Estate Fortune Way White City London info@eurotint.co NW10 6UF

It was done a while ago and i think i paid 200+. quality is ok but had to revisit with some minor issues.
Liandada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liandada For This Useful Post: