Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 cranking but not starting

Views : 1059

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 22:08   #1
Xc90Durham

Default Xc90 cranking but not starting

So hear we go, I have a Volvo XC90 d5 on a 05,
My problem is she cranks but won’t fire unless jumped or booster pack, where she fires instantly. We have checked battery which is fine, auto electrition confirns nothing draining bat and that all is well on that side of things, the fule is coming through fine and have put clear pipe on from back to front to confirm no air getting in. Have changed crank, camshaft and fule pressur sensors. Have replaces high pressure fule pump and all 5 injectors, the starting motor is working as it shold . Soon as it’s jumped on a morning it will work all day starting and stopping, it’s the time it stands over night that something is happening that we can not figure out. It now has us completely beat.
I have maintained her to a high standard over the years and even though 230.000 on her she has functioned great. Has anyone ever come across this or have any sugestions
Xc90Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 11:44   #2
T689

Default Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xc90Durham View Post
So hear we go, I have a Volvo XC90 d5 on a 05,
My problem is she cranks but won’t fire unless jumped or booster pack, where she fires instantly. We have checked battery which is fine, auto electrition confirns nothing draining bat and that all is well on that side of things, the fule is coming through fine and have put clear pipe on from back to front to confirm no air getting in. Have changed crank, camshaft and fule pressur sensors. Have replaces high pressure fule pump and all 5 injectors, the starting motor is working as it shold . Soon as it’s jumped on a morning it will work all day starting and stopping, it’s the time it stands over night that something is happening that we can not figure out. It now has us completely beat.
I have maintained her to a high standard over the years and even though 230.000 on her she has functioned great. Has anyone ever come across this or have any sugestions

If it always starts with jump starting or booster pack, then sounds like battery to me.

Your battery may be enough to crank engine, but possibly not as fast as required to start up.

May explain also that it starts fine all day after jumped or boosted in morning as alternator will be putting in the extra/fresh charge from use that day.

There may be nothing draining battery overnight, could simply be that the battery is on the brink/on the way out.

How old is your battery?...
T689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 13:35   #3
Xc90Durham

Hi t689, battery is a year old and have tried my mates off his xc90.
The 2 obvious choices are batt or fule running back, both appear to be fine. A freind buying a batt for his discovery 3 later today so going to see if that works
Xc90Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 11:21   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

OK, you're new here and so is the responder. Please post your questions in the relevant section for your car. This is not the relevant section.

Use XC90 '02–'15 General

Thank you.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 21:25   #5
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

Thread moved to correct Forum section.
Regards,
Roger
Roger Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roger Jennings For This Useful Post:

Tags