Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 460 Owner!

Views : 1927

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2014, 21:55   #11
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Looking good! I saw this car in the for sale section. I love 460s in general, 460 Turbos moreso, and the low mileage and unusual spec draws me to this one. I'm in central Scotland, but could be very interested should you have to come to sell it. Provided a price can be agreed, there may be a home for it here :-)
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 03:59   #12
Big Boaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
Looking good! I saw this car in the for sale section. I love 460s in general, 460 Turbos moreso, and the low mileage and unusual spec draws me to this one. I'm in central Scotland, but could be very interested should you have to come to sell it. Provided a price can be agreed, there may be a home for it here :-)
He is available, but to the right person if you know what I mean. Mrs Boaty is definitely going to go for the lease, so his intended purpose isn't going to be there. That doesn't mean that I HAVE to sell him though! My intention is to have a classified ad running on eBay through my cycle business. I'll put an idiotic sky-high insurance agreed value type price on him to deter the banger boys, and if a genuine enthusiast comes forward then I'll negotiate in more sensible territory. Otherwise, he can stay with me tucked up in his cosy garage and he can be a 'Sunday car'.

He is interesting. The spec is weird - I've sourced a full 1991 460 brochure which fully details the standard spec so I can see where he deviates. He's missing the electric front windows, lockable glove box, and sunroof in terms of equipment. Externally, as was pointed out in the previous sales thread from the previous owner, he's not got the body coloured bits and he's badged differently.

I'm absolutely convinced that he was a bespoke customer order, which explains the deviation from spec. Take the badging - the placement of the 460 suggests that he was factory badged simply that, 460. When Andy (previous owner) bought it, it had an aftermarket turbo badge. It looked tawdry, so he removed it. He said on his sales thread that it broke...it didn't. It just looked awful! I'm certain that a subsequent owner to the first added it.

I think that the original buyer was actually quite discerning, again hence the spec deviations. The full handbook pack is still present, and everything, service book etc matches up showing him to be a 460 Turbo. The MOD database flags him as an Si Auto. A couple of other deviations, which I suspect to date right back to the first owner and are indicative are the wheels and stereo. The alloys are Centra, and my research suggests that back in the early 90's they were a massive upgrade and hugely expensive. They are certainly much sought after for period BMW and VW restorations, and change hands for a pretty penny nowadays. The stereo is a Blaupunkt Paris RCR41. Again, as good as it got back then, top of the range and a big upgrade from the factory offering. It's fully working still, and the original documentation is with the owners pack. Again sought after for period restorations, folk are asking £200 for these chaps now.

Speaking of him as a vehicle now, it's still mostly all good. The body is excellent. There are some small areas of minor compromise, but he is unbelievably straight and true. Interior is really lovely. Factory ski trays and over mats all present. Slight compromise to driver armrest, and rear headrests leaking stuffing is the only news. Mechanically I simply can't find any issues, other than a failed alternator which has been replaced. He starts on the button, stops on a sixpence, goes like a train. Electrically, I've replaced the door switches, but the interior light doesn't work on the driver's door...but does now on all others. All the instrumentation is bang on. The EIC is fully operative. Very occasionally the central locking fails to operate.

The to do list? I've put new plates on, done the door switches, fitted new wipers etc. he needs a back box, he needs the tracking done (pulling left), and he needs new shims for the alloys which have worn and cause a very minor wobble at high speed. I'll be attending to all of these. He also only has one key, so I'll be getting a spare. The passenger seat heating appears to have been disconnected, so I'll investigate that. He needs two blanking plates for the non existent electric window switches, which I can source.

All in all, he's quite special. One of three 460 Turbo Autos left on the road according to the website, and a bit of a time warp. I don't doubt the recorded mileage for a second. The first owner was clearly discerning, and all early history is A1. The trail goes cold for a while, but I have paperwork from the previous previous owner who had it properly insured as a classic with an agreed valuation of £2000, and who used it exceedingly sparingly. He's done 3000 miles in the last four years according to MOT history. But the proof of the pudding is simply in the car himself.

He's just too good to go into bad hands...so I won't part with him unless he's going to a good place. I'll happily keep him for 20 years, but I'd equally let him happily go to a good new home. I love owning anything special like this, but I'm not specifically devoted to the marque or model, so someone who is is probably a more deserving owner maybe...
Big Boaty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boaty For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 23:54   #13
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Completely understandable. From roughly the early eighties to the present day, Volvo specs can be described as strange - one could order the most powerful engine with a base spec. In my view, it just makes a rare care all the more interesting!

As for preserving, I definitely agree that this car should remain within caring hands. Despite my age (21), I am a devoted Volvo fan, something which many people find difficult to comprehend. I've always been a big admirer of the 'smaller' Volvos, the 300 series and 400 series in particular. The 440 and 460 series hold a high level of affection for me personally, as both were family cars owned by my father when I was growing up (same shape 460 as this, but with the 1.8 spi engine). I've been looking out for a clean 460 for the past five years, as I fully understand their ever decreasing numbers. I'm hopefully seen as a caring and enthusiastic (prospective) owner. I would aim to keep the car as is, respectfully driven and kept. It has been pretty gutting over the past years to see so many of these become engine donors. I narrowly missed out on a mk2 440 Turbo earlier on this year. The only prohibitive point possibly regarding this car if you were looking to sell would be location - as I'm central Scotland, it would involve a bit of travelling, however I would be prepared to travel for it.

All the best with the car if you do hold onto the car for a bit longer - it is a stunning example. As I say, the car would be kept cherished as it is just now if I was to purchase it.

Best wishes and I hope you still enjoy this lovely car,

Joseph
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 03:37   #14
Big Boaty

I'm old enough not only to be your father(!), but also to be a sentimental old fart when it comes to cars. I've been through the phases of having new, having fast, having status symbols etc etc. My cars are meaningful to me, all named, and all friends or even family. One of the (very few) benefits of being middle-aged is that having achieved a modicum of success and comfort it's possible to indulge eccentricities without constraints of finance or shame! Daft old sod that I am...

Ok, so it seems that you're exactly the person who should have the car. He's right for you, you're right for him. The logistics of the distance are neither here nor there, very easily solved. So the only sticking point can be the question of value, be it perceived or otherwise. Let's see if we can get to a good compromise? Happy to chat here, so that others can weigh in with informed opinions, or on the phone, or if you want to find me on Facebook you can keep up with Victor's doings via his photo album on my profile and we can chat there. I'm Jason Parry-Hughes, and my company is Vincero Lightweight Cycles...so you should easily find me in this Google age!
Big Boaty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boaty For This Useful Post: