Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vin Number info

Views : 1536

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2014, 22:24   #1
geoff gibbs

Default Vin Number info

Hello all , From the Vin no: of a 240 is it possible to tell the mechanical details of this car. By this i mean diff ratio / engine details for instance.
Any guidance much apreciated.
geoff gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 22:49   #2
wooble
Stay gold baby!

The VIN will give you chassis, model year, factory, engine type and transmission.

http://www.volvo200.org/modellen/chassisnummer.htm

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_200.shtml

Axles have an ID sticker on the passenger side axle tube that may or may not be present and will be covered in underseal if it is.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2014, 23:10   #3
geoff gibbs

Thanks Wooble.
geoff gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 00:30   #4
Porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
The VIN will give you chassis, model year, factory, engine type and transmission.

http://www.volvo200.org/modellen/chassisnummer.htm

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_200.shtml

Axles have an ID sticker on the passenger side axle tube that may or may not be present and will be covered in underseal if it is.
That's a great resource! I'm trying to ascertain the power steering make in my 84' 240 GL Estate (to get the correct gaiters) and read somewhere on a US based source that there is a compliance plate on the vehicle that gives you the pertinent code number to determine whether it is a Cam or ZF. My problem is I can't find anything on the 'B' pillar or 'trunk' that matches the description, I'm guessing that it isn't contained in the VIN, do you know where to look? Much appreciated...
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 11:21   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Two types of manual racks are illustrated in the green Haynes for the pre '86 cars, Cam and ZF. Visually the main difference is the way the working parts are secured into the centre casting. Cam use bolted on plates and ZF have screwed in plugs. There is only one power rack shown and that uses bolted on plates and the block looks similar to the Cam type. However, the later red Haynes does mention, almost as an aside, that the rack lubrication is grease on the ZF and oil with the Cam power rack. That should make it fairly obvious when you take the boots off but it might turn out that the boots are the same on each type. I'm sure someone will know. Pity you are so far away but a Volvo dealer should be able to say if the part numbers are the same. eBay can also be useful sometimes.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 13:46   #6
Porkchop

Thanks for that, I have a strong suspicion that it's a Cam style rack because of the difference shown in illustrations of the gaiters but I'll stick my head underneath the old girl tomorrow and try to check out the bolting arrangements...
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 09:57   #7
Porkchop

Had a quick look this afternoon and if I'm looking at the correct section it appears that the casing is indeed bolted down. I jotted down the only numbers I could see on the rack which were RH 34003744, obviously the prefix refers to it being for a right hand drive country, not sure if the numbers are indicative of the manufacturer?

Here's the link to the website for the gaiters:

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volv...245-260-270881

And quite surprisingly just found a good reference for other 240 owners that spells out how to spot a Cam Gear rack and shows their evolution (plus the guy's an Aussie!)

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am...mgears_trw.htm

Last edited by Porkchop; Aug 4th, 2014 at 10:14.
The Following User Says Thank You to Porkchop For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 18:00   #8
jimgreene

Hello old thread,

I need to replace the power steering gear of 1983 245 DL.
The service plate says the steering-gear is "2".
I believe there might be six choices, all of them either CAM or ZF. What part is "2" in terms of CAM and ZF variations?

Can I substitute the part:
How interchangeable are the gears types?
I suppose the unit needs to:
1] fit the space,
2] connect to front cross member with the same holes (and come with proper brackets as needed)
2] connect to both inner tie rods
3] connect to the steering shaft/column below the u-joint
4] connect to the in and return power steering fluid lines, this would be the only connection with flexibility.

Other info:
The gear on the car is the second one, I can not get any part identifier off the original.

Some of the links of this almost ten year old thread may have held answers but are no longer valid.

I have come across a document suggesting six different types of gear exist for 1983 245 DL and it does not state which one would be the type "2" from the service plate. CAM 1, CAM 2, CAM 3, ZF 1, ZF 2, ZF 3

Various forums have indicated service plate "2" is CAM or ZF, depending on author.

One junk yard search engine states CAM (pipe fitting) and ZF (banjo fitting) as choices. I am assuming (but want to know) pipe and banjo are the style of fitting for the high pressure and return lines and there is a one to one correlation between the names and fittings. The replacement unit currently on the car has fittings that look like banjo style for the in and return lines, I am not aware of having seen pipe style so can not mentally compare.

Replace in and return lines for integrity? The replacement work (@167k miles) does not itemize new hoses so existing are probably original (@200k miles).

Flushing the system: with belt detached spin pump pulley (which direction?) and pour a lot (half qt, 1qt, 2qt or ... ?) of ATF Type F through non replaced parts or does reservoir/pump clean with little flushing?

Filter: was the car designed with one? should I add one? Is it built into (hidden within) the system somewhere? Should be replaced it if there is one.

Get post work alignment.

Curious: Are CAM and ZF the names of companies that made this part for Volvo?

Anything else to be aware of? This is my mom's car, she only drives it, nothing else. My dad ably took care of the car, he died recently. I have limited exposure to working on cars, a long time ago and not on Volvos.
jimgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2024, 09:26   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

According to the Haynes manual your car could have either the ZF (which stands for Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen, or Friedrichshafen Toothed Wheel factory) or CAM Gears rack. As stated elsewhere in this thread the two systems have different cover plates.
The Autodata manual does not distinguish between the two, implying that the track rods and track rod ends are interchangeable; that may not be the case in reality.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 17:48   #10
jimgreene

Thank you for the response.

I have a Glymer and some other manual which are not detailed.

<please excuse my American ignorance of English>
I believe track rods are what I know as tie rods. There is an inner and outer on each side. From what I have read the inner tie (track) rods must be matched to the specific rack to get the universal fitting at the inner and outer tie (track) rod connection.

I word searched "cover plate" in the thread and only found your use of the phrase.
From readings elsewhere, cover plate as I understand it, is the thing to remove to gain access to balancing the hydraulics. This is something I do not want to attempt.

Interchangeability: From my readings, it seems with the correct mounting adapter kit they all are. I have no clue where to buy said kit.

PS. First time I have seen what ZF stands for, I love it.
jimgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimgreene For This Useful Post: