Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.4i Geartronic - Strange 'Pop' noise

Views : 728

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2015, 19:04   #1
redtel35
Terry Roberts

Default V50 2.4i Geartronic - Strange 'Pop' noise

First post, so here goes...

I have a 57 plate V50 2.4i with a geartronic box. Car has just 42,000 miles on the clock.

Recently, the car has been making an odd noise. There are no other strange noises apart from the one I am about to describe.

If I am cruising with my foot barely on the pedal at anywhere over 25 mph, when I put my foot on the accelerator, I get a strange 'pop' noise. It is as though slack is being taken up. I put the car into manual mode and this only happens in 4th or 5th gear.

As an example, I can be rolling along on a flat road at 30mph, my foot barely on the pedal. The minute I put my foot to the pedal and the drive is engaged more, I get a 'pop'.

Local dealer could hear it and thinks issue with gearbox. I have a Volvo warranty still on the car and a warranty assessor has driven the car today, agreed there is a noise but says that there is little hope of getting anything done as it is such a minor noise. Dealer has advised to return if noise gets worse.

I have no other issue with the gearbox and no other strange noises. I have had the axle bolt issue with my wife's xc70 and it is not that issue. This noise only occurs when 'slack' is taken up in 4th or 5th gear.

I'm all out of ideas. Anyone have any more thoughts than me?

Many Thanks

Terry
redtel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 11:53   #2
redtel35
Terry Roberts

Default Update

Just as an update, this noise has gotten worse over the last few days and is now doing it when I shift from P to R, through to D and then back again.

The noise appears to come from the front right hand wheel.

A good friend of mine is a well respected independent mechanic and after getting his hands behind the wheel, tells me that the issue is the inner driveshaft joint.

I think I remember hearing somewhere on here that this is a common problem.

Better get on to Volvo and see what they say!
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 12:16   #3
redtel35
Terry Roberts

Turned out to be the lower gearbox mount. A new one from Puma Speed and all sorted.
The Following User Says Thank You to redtel35 For This Useful Post: