Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best place to get an ignition live from?

Views : 1453

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 22:33   #1
Andybon

Default Best place to get an ignition live from?

going to be reinstating a set of front parking sensors that was fitted to my car, sourced a control box but am struggling to think of a place to get an ignition live from, just want to know where is the best place to get one from?
Andybon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 21:45   #2
Andybon

No one know?
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 22:55   #3
paddyred
Master Member

When Ive used an ignition live I use the lighter socket fuse (not the boot lighter socket) from the fusebox. Get an adapter from Halfords that allows you to pull a fuse out and gives you a live wire from the fusebox while retaining the fuse itself. Gives you a live without cutting and chopping wires!

Looks like this, its what the fitters there use for satnav wiring etc but it leaves you with a removable ignition live! http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/5...font-b-car.jpg
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 08:46   #4
Andybon

I didn't think of one of them, looks a lot less hassle than tracing a wire and splicing into it.

Another job to add to today's list. So far have fit hands free kit, fit rear tweeters into rear doors and this.
Old Aug 15th, 2015, 20:06   #5
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

The piggy back fuse holders are a great idea, I've used them many times. Just watch that you fit them the correct way round, sounds daft but if you get them wrong, the original fuse is carrying the load it was meant to plus you additional supply and if the fuse ever has to work you could loose supply to the original circuit plus you add-on.
If you remove the existing fuse and check which end of the holder is 12 volts with the ignition on, the wire end of the adaptor goes to the opposite end.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 00:00   #6
Andybon

I completely forgot they existed! Seen them a while age and forgot about them!

Car went from looking like this

To looking like this at the end

Even managed to fit a pair of rear tweeters into the back doors too, not bad for a few hours work!
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 21:59   #7
XcOM

Don't suppose you could provide some more details about the rear tweaters could you, does it make that much of a difference, and if so how did you go about it?

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 16:33   #8
Andybon

The rear tweeters make a huge difference as they are the closest to you. I just sourced a genuine second hand set on eBay and fitted them, basically take the door card off, disconnect the blank that looks like a tweeter then refit the new one in place and change the connector to bullet connectors (if they are matching or different hen put back together. Really is that simple
Old Aug 25th, 2015, 19:36   #9
XcOM

Didn't know the back came with tweeters at all mate, will have to do some digging for some.

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 21:49   #10
Andybon

It took a bit of searching, but to be honest any tweeter will do as long as you can fix it in place.