Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 serious headlight issue

Views : 1228

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2015, 09:19   #1
aidy55

Default S40 serious headlight issue

Ok my 2009 volvo s40 failed the MOT for a low intensity driver side headlight dipped bulb. I took this to be an easy fix, changing the headlight bulb didn't work so left it with mechanic and returned the next day. He said he's not sure as he changed the bulb then the low intensity was on the passenger side headlight.

He spent a few hours with it but couldn't get it sorted, checked again in the morning and it was working. He said something about faulty controller

Got in to MOT quickly and had it passed but now its low intensity again, I'm just wondering if this is a common s40 fault. Has anyone experienced this before?

Taking care of a few niggles this week as I'm off, got the boot harness to attend to as getting boot open message but seen a great guide for that already. What would be a good quick setting glue to take care of this seal, as have a few like this. Ive got jb weld but that takes far too long to set and my hot glue gun would not be suitable as once hardened the glue really stands out....

Ive also just put back my boot trim pieces and the lock looks strange to me, is this the way its supposed to be, can't think what way the little spring was supposed to be or if its important..

I also in need of getting an R-Design custom sticker made to cover a small patch of missing paint, who could do this?

Im also on the lookout for a 2009 s40 wing mirror, if anyone can help then i will compensate you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1128.jpg (165.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1382.jpg (232.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg boot.jpg (281.9 KB, 34 views)
aidy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 09:28   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Picture 3 the flap should spring up when the boot is open. On mine the spring had come un hooked. Easy fix and still working.
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 09:29   #3
iainmd

Your boot latch cover is simply missing a spring. You can get the replacement spring from Volvo for about a pound and it's easily fitted yourself. I did out V50 when I bought it as ours was the same.

Your door seal needs replaced.

Not so sure about the headlamp issue. Never heard of such an issue on our cars before.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 17:13   #4
Welton
Premier Member

My boot lock 'flap' is broken like that too, I've left it like it for 2 years.

Dim headlight sounds like either a tarnished reflector inside the unit or corrosion in the multi-pin connector to the headlamp.

If I may say your boot floor looks very rusty this is very unusual, mine is a 2005 and the boot floor is still factory-looking.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 17:46   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
My boot lock 'flap' is broken like that too, I've left it like it for 2 years.

Dim headlight sounds like either a tarnished reflector inside the unit or corrosion in the multi-pin connector to the headlamp.

If I may say your boot floor looks very rusty this is very unusual, mine is a 2005 and the boot floor is still factory-looking.
Maybe that could be due to his boot latch not working properly, letting water in?

My boot floor is also in mint condition - 2009.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 18:10   #6
dingov70
Master Member

As a starting point , pull the power plug off the bulbs Carefully ! . Look at the connectors & wires for any signs of green corrosion . If they are clean spray a quick burst of wd40 or similar over connector & refit to bulbs . Then trace the wires back to their earth points ( the wire is either brown or black ) and if i remember the earth point is under or close to the headlight unit , make sure that is clean & bright , as poor earths can make for dim lights as well as illuminating othre bulbs that are not switched on . I.E. you brake & reverse light lights up at same time
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 20:07   #7
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Maybe that could be due to his boot latch not working properly, letting water in?

My boot floor is also in mint condition - 2009.
The flap doesn't do anything other than keep the manky latch out of harm's way. Looks like there's been water ingress into the boot. Most likely the two rubber legs/bump stops are adjusted too high and pressure washing the car is getting into the boot. Either that or the previous owner carried much fluid in the boot and spilled it.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 20:58   #8
steV50

Your boot latch cover is simply missing a spring. You can get the replacement spring from Volvo for about a pound and it's easily fitted yourself.

It's a bit more than a pound. I got a new spring from the Volvo dealer for my V50 and it cost £8 plus VAT!
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 21:28   #9
aidy55

Thanks for bringing the rusty floor to my attention. Must look into it. What concerns me most that I haven't mentioned is the rusty tailgate. Just on the lip at the bottom where it closes on the rear bumper...

paint is gone and very rusty all along this bottom edge....could there be anything dubious going on here...

I plan to get this touched up when i get my front bumper resprayed, having to get the whole bumper sprayed as there is a patch of paint missing and upon further inspection i can confirm it has been sprayed without the use of primer lol...

Hoping to get a r design sticker to cover this patch until i can afford to get the spray job done...Can anyone recommend a custom decal site...
aidy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 08:57   #10
v70stu
V60 T6

When I bought my v50 I noticed the paint had chipped off the lower edge of the tailgate and that the bumper bowed up slightly in the middle. It was rubbing the tailgate, hence the chipped paint. I missed that when buying (missed a few things, the perils of being distracted by a 4 year old at the wrong time really!). The rear bumper had clearly been off mine at some point and when I took it off again I feared I would find accident damage. Thankfully I didn't but what I did see was the bumper "skin" had not been clipped into the support beam behind it properly, hence the bumper was slightly bowed up. Properly clipped in it is now straight and doesn't foul the bottom edge of the tailgate. I used silver Hammerite on mine to sort the paint, it's good enough as it's out of sight. It's possible your bumper might not be fouling now but could have been in the past.