Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch / DMF Problem, or spmething else?

Views : 741

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2015, 00:22   #1
geoffco

Default Clutch / DMF Problem, or spmething else?

Hi,

The car (07 V50 2.0D) developed a new problem tonight. At first I noticed when I depress the clutch pedal all the way down there is a clattering / tapping noise and vibration through the pedal. The clutch seems to be working perfectly fine but this is obviously not right / something has broken. It seems to go away when adding a bit more revs. Even without pushing the clutch pedal, there is an occasional (every half second but not regular) rattle / clatter from the transmission.
Anyone know what this is and what will need to be done about it? Is this something that is going to fail spectacularly or can I afford to drive 10 miles on it to the garage..? The car's records suggest it had a new clutch only 25k miles ago (before I got it)..

Cheers,
Geoff
geoffco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 13:54   #2
geoffco

Update: Spoke to the garage and they reckon sounds like the DMF needs replacing.. Ouch
Old Aug 27th, 2015, 16:07   #3
Dangerousdave

Some smarty pants say you can fit a new clutch and leave the dmf, which is perhaps what's happened in your case?

A massive error if that's the case..

They show you online how you can check the dmf to see if it's reusable, but I don't think a test/check is needed....bin it every clutch change.
Dangerousdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 16:55   #4
geoffco

Yeah, I thought that might be it.. However, looking at the paperwork it seems the flywheel was also done at the same time as the clutch. Perhaps it wasn't a good one or I've just been unlucky (again) with this car...

Geoff
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 20:36   #5
XcOM

Just out of curiosity how much is a DMF and clutch change? also whats the expected life from one that spent most it's life on the motorway?

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 22:09   #6
Dangerousdave

The clutch is a self adjusting clutch plate, normally to just whack then on with your eyes shut, on the Volvo you have to load the centerplate during fitting and bolting up.. If they didn't do it correctly, another possible failure point.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 22:13   #7
Dangerousdave

I paid something like £325 or maybe £375 for a luk clutch, flywheel and hydraulic release bearing...

Then I paid £125 for a sac clutch aligning tool and did it myself.