Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

centre console blank plate

Views : 709

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2023, 09:07   #1
chefshoes

Default centre console blank plate

good morning

in the storage box under the arm rest i have the 3.5mm jack for aux but next to it is a blanking plate

i pull it out and what looks like the end of some wires in there with a grey plug.

can you let me know what is supposed to be here and is it easy to install please?

thanks

dyfed
chefshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 10:51   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The second and missing connection is a USB socket of somewhat limited value. Among some of the things it does do is to upgrade the obsolete Sensus maps if the Sensus sat nav unit has been reprogrammed by a dealer to accept online map updates.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 11:19   #3
chefshoes

ah i see no great loss then as i dont have sensus anyway (it really is fm/am/cd/aux!

thanks ill keep it blank!
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 09:25   #4
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefshoes View Post
ah i see no great loss then as i dont have sensus anyway (it really is fm/am/cd/aux!

thanks ill keep it blank!
On your 2012 V70, which has the Sensus infotainment system, that USB socket allows the playing of music stored on memory sticks of up to 32GB capacity.

For me it's an absolute boon. I've ripped all of my CDs to a hard drive and then converted the files to MP3 format, allowing me to fit over 38,000 tracks onto seven 32GB memory sticks.

The files need to have a proper folder structure, and it's necessary to understand how USB playback works on Sensus, but once these things are attended to the musical world is your oyster.
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 19:33   #5
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
On your 2012 V70, which has the Sensus infotainment system, that USB socket allows the playing of music stored on memory sticks of up to 32GB capacity.

For me it's an absolute boon. I've ripped all of my CDs to a hard drive and then converted the files to MP3 format, allowing me to fit over 38,000 tracks onto seven 32GB memory sticks.

The files need to have a proper folder structure, and it's necessary to understand how USB playback works on Sensus, but once these things are attended to the musical world is your oyster.
Can you please explain (The files need to have a proper folder structure, and it's necessary to understand how USB playback works on Sensus,). Mine is a 2008 S80 and i use about 8 different USBs but they don't seem to play all the music on them. Thank's
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 14:16   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith44 View Post
Can you please explain (The files need to have a proper folder structure, and it's necessary to understand how USB playback works on Sensus,). Mine is a 2008 S80 and i use about 8 different USBs but they don't seem to play all the music on them. Thank's
I'm afraid that I can't speak about your earlier infotainment system but I can describe how Sensus works.

In terms of choosing artists, albums, and tracks for playing, Sensus uses the same file system as Windows, i.e. a hierarchy of folders. So when putting tracks onto a memory stick you'll need to organise them correctly.

The folder structure that I use from top to bottom is: -

1) Memory Stick Name.

My first six sticks are named "Pop Stick 1" ..... "Pop Stick 6".

2) Top Folder for the files.

(On six of my seven sticks there is one of these top folders called "Music". On the seventh stick (called "Memory Stick 7 - pop classical and Christmas"), there are three top folders entitled (shockingly) "Christmas Music", "Classical Music", and "Pop Music".)

3) Artist Name.

One folder per artist, e.g. "Stevie Wonder", "Pink Floyd", "Riverside", Shelby Lynne" etc. NB All Various Artists compilations are stored under the single artist's name of "Various Artists".

4) Album name.

One folder per disc. If the album is, say, a 2CD set, then you'll need one folder per disc, e.g. "Songs In The Key Of Life CD1" and "Songs In The Key Of Life CD2".

Within each "album name" folder is where individual album tracks will be stored as files.

When a track is being played, Sensus will display the metadata (data about the track) that is embedded within the file.

If your music is organised as above, i.e. all tracks at the bottom level below album name/disc name below artist name below a top folder of some kind, then all tracks will be visible and playable.

My guess is that your older infotainment system works similarly.

It's also worth noting that Sensus doesn't like memory sticks with a capacity greater than 32GB, and your infotainment might also have a similar limitation. In fact, the size limit might be a much smaller number. Worth checking, perhaps?
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 17:17   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:

It's also worth noting that Sensus doesn't like memory sticks with a capacity greater than 32GB,
I believed that also for uploading maps to the Sensor sat nav but then I read the Volvo instructions which said:

The map must be downloaded to an empty USB memory (64GB) in one of the following formats: FAT32, NTFS or exFAT. The capacity of the USB memory required depends on map size, see detailed information for each map.

However the maps won't load so your comment about 32GB sticks may well apply. Either way I'm getting fed up with Volvo and their in-car systems!
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 19:00   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I believed that also for uploading maps to the Sensor sat nav but then I read the Volvo instructions which said:

The map must be downloaded to an empty USB memory (64GB) in one of the following formats: FAT32, NTFS or exFAT. The capacity of the USB memory required depends on map size, see detailed information for each map.

However the maps won't load so your comment about 32GB sticks may well apply. Either way I'm getting fed up with Volvo and their in-car systems!
According to the following web page, maps should be loaded onto a 32GB memory stick.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...ps/mca/europe#

According to a Sensus manual that I've just found, the limits for music storage relate to maximum numbers of folders and sub-folders, not stick size. There's juicy info on page 47.

https://az685612.vo.msecnd.net/pdfs/...GB_TP23907.pdf

All the above applies to the Sensus system installed in P3 cars and not to the later SPA platformed cars.

Last edited by Sotosound; Oct 15th, 2023 at 19:08.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 21:34   #9
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
According to the following web page, maps should be loaded onto a 32GB memory stick.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...ps/mca/europe#
That advice seems to apply to Sensus Navigation systems from 2013

A navigation system that was introduced 2013. The map is stored on an internal hard drive. Update is done with a USB stick (32 GB) and the maps are downloaded for free from Volvo Cars Support site.

Sadly mine is a 2012 and the comment recommending a 64GB applies to cars with the Sensus system up to 2012. And I used the 64GB stick as recommended and it isn't recognised. I suppose I can buy a 32GB stick that I don't otherwise need and try it in case Volvo got their wires crossed!
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 08:51   #10
chefshoes

i think further up on this post the usb is only good for updating the maps if indeed you have satnav on your car

mine doesn't literally am/fm/disc/aux and a 3.5mm jack in the arm rest box

where would you get the usb part from though?
if its only used to update something i dont have then it can stay a blanking plate