Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rack and Pinion Steering in an Amazon?

Views : 4002

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 09:28   #11
tom-madbiker
Master Member

I tried it with a triumph herald rack it was terrible as the rack has to be really short or bump steer becomes a major issue in the end I went back to good old steering box
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 11:50   #12
Need For Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshj View Post
Spotted in the piece on the Swiss Aston Martin engined P1800 in Octane this month that they fitted a TR4 steering rack to the car. Has anyone else got any further experience of trying to fit rack and pinion to an Amazon or thoughts to add? Might make for even nicer steering feel and parts to do the conversion are quite reasonable.

Harvey
Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but have you tried adjusting the front suspension? I have found that with the right toe-out and camber settings there is a good deal of positive feel through the steering. Tyres also make a difference. Not tried a TR4 rack to know how that would differ though, but certainly happy with my setup.
Need For Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 13:45   #13
ksmi
Master Member

Cool rack & pinion

As Tom The Biker said the rack has to be very short, Way back in my not so ill spent youth,I worked at Lotus for a spell,( any body in the middx/herts/essex borders and interested in bikes/cars did so) I worked on the drive line bench moding and putting bits together for Elites(prettiest car you ever saw) They used herald racks,the racks being cut and shut,can't remember anything about the geometry unfortunately.

The GP team were based on site and now and again the door would open and one of the team cars "would bomb off" down Delamare rd. the local boys in blue must have heard,they were only a mile away, but copped a deaf un' This quite often occured when "THE MAN" from Webber came over from Italy to breath on the carbs, was like black magic to us lads!!!

Regards,Keith(misty eyed with nostalgia)
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 11:48   #14
jimbo1593
Master Member

I have seen pics of a rack and pinion set-up bolted to the front of the cross-member I think on swedespeed forum.

As stated above we all know that rack and pinion is "better" than a steering box, but is it really? I suspect that an aftermarket rack and pinion with wrong geometry would be significantly worse than a well maintained original steering box set-up.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote