Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Touring Caravans & Sites

Views : 5951

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:59   #41
sunshinetours

Some outgoing people will always assume that those who aren't outgoing and camp/caravan for the solitude/peace and quiet, can be snobbish.

Doesn't mean its true, but it is real in that the outgoing person feels that way.

As in all walks of life there are different strokes for different folks.

For those who don't feel comfortable on a CC Club site there are a huge amount of other options including C&CC amongst many other commercial sites

The CC CL network is fantastic and provides other smaller options (main reason we have the CC membership to be honest aside from some rallies)

However saying all CC members are snobbish or all sites contain snobbish people is as silly as saying all Volvo owners have beards and pipe and slippers......

Just find what works for you from advice you are given when you ask for it
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 18:19   #42
mike95

Here, here.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 19:48   #43
Lamp Swinger

In 27 years of caravan ownership, I have experienced snobbery once on a Caravan Club site. We were right at the beginning of our caravanning life in 1988. We had just bought our first caravan, a Fleetwood Colchester 5 berth. We had pitched up at Daleacres CC in Kent, when a huge brand new Lunar Delta twin axle gin palace arrived on the pitch behind us. The woman stood in her fur coat and high heels looking down her nose at us while her husband reversed the new Range Rover along side their palace. The ironic thing was, our caravan was brand new also!! Maybe they were put off by my 3 well behaved kids? Who knows??

David

2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Auto. Now sold - MY14 XC60 SE Lux Nav D4 AWD Geartronic
Lamp Swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 19:52   #44
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp Swinger View Post
Maybe they were put off by my 3 well behaved kids? Who knows??

David
Yup, definitely the kids....

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 19:58   #45
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
Maybe volvorocks was referring to the C.C rallies when he was speaking about snobs?
I am beginning to wonder if it was the signs we had displayed around the van that made people 'stand offish'..??...

volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 15:12   #46
Sallys Tow Car

Default Is towing a big stress on the car?

Hello everyone!
I'm the proud owner of a XC60, it was my other halfs company car which came up for renewal, he couldn't have a car that sturdy for his next car so I bought it so we could still tow our Elddis Odyssey 634 (a biggun). Since the car has been mine the turbo pipe has cracked and the alternator drive belt has snapped - can this be the stress of towing? Should I have it serviced more than once a year? Am I being paranoid? Am I just unlucky? Any help would be great!
Sallys Tow Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 22:21   #47
Traveller11

We've had a Hobby Single Axle Caravan which has been all over Europe and Scandinavia, normally on tours lasting 3 months, & being hauled around by a 2010 XC70 D5 SE Manual which tows/hauls it like a dream.

Currently we use CL sites in the UK preferably ones that have not been 'coerced' by the 'CLUB' into fitting EHU Points as the Hobby is fitted with the facilities to allow us to not have to rely on EHU for everything!

2 x 60Watt Solar Panels, Solar Controller and 125AH Battery along with a 3000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter (Not used that often, but has been known to drive the Microwave to cook Salmon for dinner!)

Currently the Volvo which is aptly named 'Flamenco Red' has also hauled the 'TinTent' on 5 x 90 day tours of Morocco where the 4x4 drive has on occasions been required when travelling along a river bed, as we move from 1 campsite to another!
Or up over a mountain range over 8000ft high! Beautiful views and narrow places to get through!

While we are preparing to head off on our 6th adventure 'down there' once more.

While the Hobby has been with this Volvo it also did a couple of trips into Europe and Scandinavia with our previous XC70 and totaling the distance covered so far is over 120,000 Miles, while 'Flamenco Red' has just gone over 100,000.

I must admit that the XC70 is by far the best Volvo I have owned and driven in over 45 years of owning and driving them.

For me it's a darn shame that Volvo/Geeley decided to drop the XC70 as the XC60 is too wide to fit in the garage when we are back home! Grrrr!

P.s. If anyone asks 'How do you do it for so long?'
It's called retirement and luvvin every minute of it!

Last edited by Traveller11; Nov 12th, 2017 at 22:25.
Traveller11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 23:02   #48
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallys Tow Car View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm the proud owner of a XC60, it was my other halfs company car which came up for renewal, he couldn't have a car that sturdy for his next car so I bought it so we could still tow our Elddis Odyssey 634 (a biggun). Since the car has been mine the turbo pipe has cracked and the alternator drive belt has snapped - can this be the stress of towing? Should I have it serviced more than once a year? Am I being paranoid? Am I just unlucky? Any help would be great!
It's unlikely that these faults are caused by towing. But, when getting it serviced, make sure they look after the transmission and do regular oil changes on that.
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 20:34   #49
Traveller11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallys Tow Car View Post
Hello everyone!
Hello Sally,

There are a couple of things in your post that would help if you could clarify please?

While you do not say how old your XC60 is or the Model D5, D4 or D3, which tells us the type and size of the engine.

There was a recall not long ago by Volvo that affected my XC70 and required a swap out of the Auxiliary Drive Belt Tensioner and Belt which is the one that drives the Alternator as a couple had failed, so Volvo decided to swap out the lot but I am not sure if that was also the case for the XC60.

In terms of 'Weight' when loaded, how heavy is your Eldiss as it sounds like a Twin Axle when you say 'biggun'

While your Turbo Pipe cracked.
The air intake pipe from the air filter developed a couple of places that started leaking and had to be replaced on ours at around 60,000 miles, but I think that was due to the heat of the engine affecting the plastic after we had travelled a distance of over 250 miles with our 'TinTent' hooked up, which was quite a regular occurence!
The engine in the XC70 of ours is a D5 2.4Litre 205Hp Turbo Diesel.

I think if you can provide the Engine Size: D5 2.4 Litre or D4/D3 2 Litre and the total weight of your Eldiss 'biggun' then we would have a better idea what is happening when you are on the road.

Cheers
Traveller11 is offline   Reply With Quote