Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0 Volvo 360

Views : 1874

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2017, 23:58   #1
Tilley78

Default 2.0 Volvo 360

I'm looking at getting a Volvo 360 2.0 and have been quoted 1500 quid to insure it I'm only 18 so I guess this isn't terrible?.
What's reliability like? Anything I should look out for I've heard there a bit thirsty and corrosion around the fuse box makes them run rough but is there anything else?
Thanks in advance
Tilley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 00:15   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Thats a good price for insurance. The fuse box problem normally causes a non start.

Rust with these is the biggest issue as with any older car. Make sure you have some budget for uprades
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 15:13   #3
Tilley78

So when you say upgrades what sort of upgrades can i do?
Tilley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 15:28   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

There are lots you can do. Give me a call to discuss what can be done
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 19:13   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Turbo engine from a 740/760/940 also if you have a carburettor 360 then twin webers or 2.3 carb engine with twin webers.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 20:51   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

His insurance might not like the turbo swap
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 15:32   #7
dlucas

Would be a great car to have - sad to me that young people heave to pay such high insurance these days. If I'd been faced with that sort of price when 18 I'd have felt unable to afford it.

My 1st car was a 1974 saab 99 that I rescued in a semi abandoned state parked up on the street after a minor MOT fail plus flat battery and flat tyres. Didn't take much to get it sorted. I suspect if I'd had to pay that sort of insurance I'd have been left thinking 'that's a lot of bus fare money...'!

My 340 costs me less than £100 to insure! But I'm the wrong side of 45 years...

Good luck!
dlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 16:59   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I have my 1984 360 gle saloon for sale but it needs work and will probably need rust repairs for the next mot.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 00:36   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley78 View Post
I'm looking at getting a Volvo 360 2.0 and have been quoted 1500 quid to insure it I'm only 18 so I guess this isn't terrible?.
What's reliability like? Anything I should look out for I've heard there a bit thirsty and corrosion around the fuse box makes them run rough but is there anything else?
Thanks in advance

Only you can say whether the insurance is reasonable or not. My first year's TPO insurance cost £15 for a car that cost £10! But that was back in 1966 when I was earning £4 a week - everything is relative !

Bear in mind that the youngest 360 is now 26 years old and 'classicswede' is right to point out possible corrosion issues. Mechanically, the 360 is a very reliable car in my experience. I bought an '86 GL at 10 years and 100K; ran it for two years putting another 40K on it averaging 32 MPG with very few mechanical issues.

My MIL had an '83 GLE, bought at 6 years and 45K; ran it for 11 years and 42K, again with very few mechanical problems. She only averaged mid twenties MPG on account of her many cold starts and short journeys. That car expired when I was changing a rear wheel for her and the jack went up but the car didn't! We searched for a replacement at the time to no avail; it was eventually replaced by a Saab 900 from a garage offering a late GLT saloon which she test drove, but which didn't cut the mustard. Back in 2000 at 17 years old, the car was essentially worthless and fit only for scrap.

Today, such cars are usually in preservation in the hands of enthusiasts like '360beast'. If you can find a car in good mechanical condition, and can keep on top of the corrosion issues, I think that you will find the 360 a rewarding purchase. Good luck with your search!

Regards, John.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:04   #10
rustytoba
Master Member

As mentioned and speaking from experience of both 360's and a number of insurance policies £1500 is a good start (when I was 25 my 740GL was £1200 to insure, by the time I was 27 my 760GLE cost £1600 now I'm 36 and my 240GL is only £290 the prices do come down eventually), if you find a good 360 grab it with both hands and guard it as you would your own life or iphone! Lay off the mods til you have accumulated some NCB this will give you extra time to do more homework, collect the relevant parts or perhaps appreciate the car as it is as there really aren't many stock Volvos of this vintage left out there.

Whatever your choice good luck there are plenty here to help with advice and we all like looking at photos of our hard work.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote