Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Breather/PCV system

Views : 1401

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2017, 15:16   #1
Faust
Master Member

Default Breather/PCV system

My girlfriend has a 1999 V70 2.5 10 valve. The car has 190k miles. showing

Been doing a bit of tinkering today and I noticed that the engine is breathing a bit heavily: there are fumes coming out of the dipstick and oil filler cap.... this leads me to believe that the crankcase breather system is blocked and needs to be renewed (she's had the car since it was 30k miles old some 14 years ago and the system has never been worked on).

My question is: is this a hard job or can a competent home mechanic tackle it? Looks like the inlet manifold and associated pipework etc. will have to come off to grant access.

I do my work on the street and I'm getting a bit old to be working out in all weathers - should this job be farmed off to a decent garage, what sort of bill will she be looking at?

She's getting a bit stressed (bless her) as the timing belt needs doing soon and the poor old girl (the car not my missus) is still running on it original front dampers and springs etc (I'll do this job for her though).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 16:36   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Do the rubber glove test first. Warm the engine - switch off - and then remove the oil filler cap and cover the filler hole with a piece of fairly thin plastic. either hold the plastic with your hand or secure with a jubilee clip and then start the engine and let it tick over. If the plastic is drawn down into the filler, the PCV is fine, if it blows up like a balloon, it is blocked and needs replacing.

It is do-able, but a bit fiddly as the inlet manifold needs to come off.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 22:31   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Worth doing the glove test, but on your car if it hasn't been done before it's almost certainly due. Not too hard, but as above, fiddly but OK if you have a decent set of tools.

There's a "how to" in the Articles section at the top of the forum, here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46946

Unfortunately no photos due to Photobucket's greed and idiocy, but the words alone should help.

When I did mine I got a complete kit of parts from FRF at a reasonable price - great service and they will post. For details see the dealer section.

Go for it!

There's a "how to" in the articles section on replacing the cam belt too - again, a fairly easy job relative to many other cars.
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 01:00   #4
sdg1970
Master Member

Are non-turbo cars more prone to PCV system blockages???🤔 I ask because I've only ever had turbo V70's, all with 120k+ on the clock when purchased and none (on the third thus far) ever had such an issue. Oil always flushed on purchase and changed 3 times a year thereafter with 0/30 synthetic.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdg1970 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 11:06   #5
Volvo V70 diesel

Default PCV cleaning process

Hy,

If the PCV is concerned due to its state, there is a "how to" from Univers volvo that may help, a French volvo website. It's in French, but there are several pictures that explain the process. It has been realized on a 850 estate T5, the "how to" should be the same. If you need translations if you decide to follow it, don't hesitate.

It's a bit long, (could seem impressive), but already done it on my 850 estate. Take your time, it's able whenever for a newbie like I was at this time. Some tools necessary, currents ones.

Cheers.

VV 70

PCV cleaning or replacement.

V 70 ESTATE TDI 1998 D5252T - Manual L.H.D.
(850 GLT ESTATE 2,5 L 20 V - Manual L.H.D.)
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo V70 diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 16:16   #6
Faust
Master Member

Thanks for the answers and advice...

Tried the glove test: it inflated very quickly so I'd say the car is breathing heavily - noticeable 'puffing' on my hand from the filler cap as well.

Any recommendations for a kit? All the ones I found seem to be for turbo models.

Also, the car doesn't have the hose from near the top of the oil filler cap down to the catch tank - as far as I can see there is one main hose from the flame trap near the throttle body to the tank. I'd imagine that there'll be one from the bottom of the tank to the block.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 16:25   #7
Volvo V70 diesel

May someone possessing the same engine could post some pictures for our friend ?

It would be useful. thanks for that.

VV 70

V 70 ESTATE TDI 1998 D5252T - Manual L.H.D.
(850 GLT ESTATE 2,5 L 20 V - Manual L.H.D.)
Volvo V70 diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo V70 diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 21:25   #8
EMM

Parts for Volvo or ring your local dealer and ask them to price match on genuine parts like for like.

That’s what my local branch do. They even give me a little bit extra as well which is always nice.
EMM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EMM For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 23:42   #9
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

I just got the complete kit for my 850R from FRF Swansea for approximately £105.
Comprehensive kit including clamps, manifold gasket etc.

Remember to clean out the valve in the intake pipe also!
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 05:34   #10
Stumo

Have a look at CNGBiFuel's post on PCV systems - ie using larger diameter pipes and making them up yourself . It makes a lot of sense... food for thought.

Last edited by Stumo; Nov 10th, 2017 at 07:47.
Stumo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumo For This Useful Post: