Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with car modem

Views : 18459

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2018, 15:55   #11
Bicax

I tried the profile trick and it didn't work.

And then yesterday I got in the car and after 10 minutes of driving the internet connection started working again. And this morning it was working fine.

Also, Sensus is now telling me I have updates pending, but then nothing appears on the updates page...

So I think something is clearly wrong with this update.
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 21:11   #12
roundyuk

The updates alert will be maps, even when the maps you don't have installed get updated you get a prompt - proper annoying!

Give them their due though, I've got another map update I need to download on the laptop!
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:38   #13
PaulDrives

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but after dealer software update I spent a good while scratching my head to work out why the vehicle modem stopped working. Eventually I went back through settings > communication > car modem to discover that this had been turned off. I assumed that was something the dealer did during the update, or else part of the system reset that they also performed.
Anyway, switched that back on and the setting seems to have stuck.
Old Dec 14th, 2018, 13:44   #14
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDrives View Post
I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but after dealer software update I spent a good while scratching my head to work out why the vehicle modem stopped working. Eventually I went back through settings > communication > car modem to discover that this had been turned off. I assumed that was something the dealer did during the update, or else part of the system reset that they also performed.
I *think* this is probably because the switch the cars internet connection to Wifi (which disables the modem option) in order to connect to the garage WiFi for software downloads.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 10:55   #15
Neil S

I now have this problem after the car went in for a service and sensus was updated. The constant new problems that keep appearing with this car are simply tiresome.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 12:18   #16
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S View Post
I now have this problem after the car went in for a service and sensus was updated. The constant new problems that keep appearing with this car are simply tiresome.
It might be useful to Forum Members to advise what problems you have had and put your model details on your signature.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 13:07   #17
Neil S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
It might be useful to Forum Members to advise what problems you have had and put your model details on your signature.
Don't know how to edit signature but it's MY17 XC90 T8. SIM has worked fine for 18 months and now doesn't following the latest sensus update by the dealer. I know if I explain the problem to the dealer they'll look at me as if I've asked them to check with NASA for advice. I'm just sick of it. And the engine light is on - again.
Neil S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 15:44   #18
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkBoy View Post
100% agree - this would help those of us who are willing to help.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 16:02   #19
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDrives View Post
I also had exactly the same problem last week after my cars 3 month initial check up.
The dealers now connect the car's systems via the built in Wifi rather than the previous method of a cable, but by activating the inbuilt wifi this auto deactivates the car's modem.
Hence unless the dealer has turned the modem back on, you will experience the above problem.
If after you have turned the modem back on it still fails to connect to the outside internet, then check the modem's APN setting which in my case I had to delete/auto reset to get it working again.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 10:54   #20
Begonia

Wifey and I very nearly went potty trying to sort this problem out.

We also got quite confused by apparent mentions/requests for things like the 'Volvo on Call' PIN coupled with a similar mentions/requests for a PIN for the non-working SIM card. We couldn't find the latter anywhere in our files.

Our car had been in for its Service and also had a software upgrade. But when it came back, none of the Apps worked and neither did either of our mobile phones' 'Volvo on Call' apps either. Grrr!

In the end, I merely asked BT for a replacement SIM card for the car (these are FOC). It arrived a couple of days later. I then inserted it into the required slot in the SIM holder in the boot.

No PIN was required for the new SIM card. It just started to work OK by itself.

Job done! Sorted! Phew! Genius or wot?
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote