Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2018 Fuel Choice - BP/shell/any

Views : 2861

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which fuel do you use?
Vpower 28 25.45%
Ultimate 7 6.36%
Other Premium 12 10.91%
Non-premium + Additive 2 1.82%
Branded Non-premium 21 19.09%
Supermarket 28 25.45%
Cheapest (dont care) 12 10.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 26th, 2018, 10:59   #1
NorthantsPete

Default 2018 Fuel Choice - BP/shell/any

As the fuel additives change year on year, two leading premiums now actually liquid gas and other just heavy additives packs (and hefty prices) Im interested to know long term what you're running in your Diesel, and why

As a side note:
I also find, one station is not the same as the next. So, BP in central northampton is rubbish but the stuff on the a45 is good.
Ive also had some premium (maybe old, lack of use/expensive) run worse than standard!

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:04.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 13:16   #2
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I tend to fill up with whatever I find when the car want's feeding with only a little consideration into cost

eg

My closest garage to home is Morrisons & has the advantage of earning points.

I'm in Birmingham a lot at present & tend to fill up on the way home, the 1st garage I pass is a Shell station.

I won't ever fill up at a Motorway Services as it's too expensive, Some of the Stations on the A1(M) are crazy prices (Blyth, Washington, Peterborough) however others on the A1 are reasonable (BP Nr RAF Wittering, Texaco a bit Further on)

I'm in Brum now but I think I'm good to get home on what I have, Sunday will get filled up at Morrisons in Jarrow, Sunday Night Probably Fill up at Tesco's in Stevenage before travelling back to Brum again.

Last week was another mixed bag

Friday -Morrisons Jarrow
Saturday - BP in Swindon
Sunday - Morrisons in Jarrow
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 14:02   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

My S40 is ex BT fleet, I bought it at 80K, no idea what fuel it used up until that point but coming up to 200K now and has run mainly on Tesco diesel with no ill effects. Had a few tank fulls of shell / shell vpower and made no noticable difference to how it ran other than costing more.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 15:07   #4
Peter86
Pete

I use Costco premium diesel as its the same price as supermarkets and car runs great on it.
Use to use texaco near me but the price has gone up a fair bit there, currently 10p more than petrol.
Will use anything if I need to but always go for branded before supermarket if possible and not overly priced.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 16:15   #5
AliMurray

As I do a bit of local driving which probably isn't perfect for a derv ( Work is 13 miles but a bit in town and dual carriageway 2 miles roundabout on repeat) I use V-Power. My car two back was a re-mapped non DPF Vx and it smoked noticeably less on the V-Power. Seeing as my current driving regime isn't the most friendly to a DPF / EGR I'm splashing a little on the fuel in hope to not break one of those. I only do 8k a year so the cost is negligible .
AliMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 09:40   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
I tend to fill up with whatever I find when the car want's feeding with only a little consideration into cost

eg

My closest garage to home is Morrisons & has the advantage of earning points.

I'm in Birmingham a lot at present & tend to fill up on the way home, the 1st garage I pass is a Shell station.

I won't ever fill up at a Motorway Services as it's too expensive, Some of the Stations on the A1(M) are crazy prices (Blyth, Washington, Peterborough) however others on the A1 are reasonable (BP Nr RAF Wittering, Texaco a bit Further on)

I'm in Brum now but I think I'm good to get home on what I have, Sunday will get filled up at Morrisons in Jarrow, Sunday Night Probably Fill up at Tesco's in Stevenage before travelling back to Brum again.

Last week was another mixed bag

Friday -Morrisons Jarrow
Saturday - BP in Swindon
Sunday - Morrisons in Jarrow
I refuelled the van on a agency card on Washington Services last week. £1.55 a litre That’s just shocking when further down the A1 it was £1.37 a litre.

TT
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 10:43   #7
DSK
C70 T5

When I had a 2013 Astra GTC and 2011 Merc E350 diesels, they always felt smoother on Shell standard fuel compared to other stations like BP.

Doing the same 800-900 mile trek I've done for years, when I used Vpower, that was smoother still but more responsive and would give me another 3-4mpg average over a tank.

(The turbo petrol cars strictly get vpower unleaded ad that works whereas BP ultimate is no different than normal unleaded)

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 11:09   #8
Waynedance

Used to be Shell only but the Asda down the road is so much cheaper. I put in a litre of Moly diesel purge every 4 to 5 months ish.

Not noticed any real difference from the Shell to the Asda fuel. I did vote cheapest, supermarket and cheapest should be one of the same.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 20:40   #9
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Local Shell for me as we have a Morrisons, so price works out better, £1.41 @ another Shell under Waitrose on my way to work, compared to local Shell @ £1.34 for bog standed Diesel plus points, even the wifes C2 gets Shell fuel, even more points on the loyalty card.
The Ridge Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 23:55   #10
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

My 1991 petrol engine loves the local GULF but being local it is more expensive than Sainsbury's at Carlisle, which my engine also loves.
It likes Shell V-power too but the Carlisle garage got flooded

My engine hated a dose of Asda cheapo one time, put me off for good!