Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Wheels fitted

Views : 9412

Replies : 193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2018, 09:02   #91
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver Dave View Post
Why would you need to take it to Volvo - the rolling diameter is, to all intents and purposes, the same.

I swap from 20" summers to 18" winters with absolutely no problems. All I do is recalibrate the TPMS system each time, my dealer knows about this and has never mentioned having to take the car to them.

Can't see there will be any difference to the cars steering as far as the car is concerned and would be surprised if you notice much/any with the change in wheel/tyre size.
A change in tyre width is also a change in sidewall height. Since these cars have all sorts of high-tech
safety systems (eg. run off road mitigation) that try to stabilize the car, perhaps the systems that
monitor the 3D position of the car need to know what movement is normal or not. Since tyrewall height
changes the behavior of the car, maby the software of the relevant safety features needs to be told.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 21:35   #92
crip010

I was all ready not to do any software update and then gaby comes in and says maybe take it to Volvo

I think as rolling diameter is the same and so is the width on 22s and 20s I will leave it and NOT take the car to Volvo, this does seem to be the norm.

Also if I keep the 22s I certainly will not be visiting Volvo twice a year as it costs £150 each time.
MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse R Design, Black, Xenium, air suspension, CarPlay, BLIS, Winter, Family pack 7 seat climate, Heated Rear Seats, Power Cushion Extensions, Tinted Windows, tow pack, 22" Wheels, ipad holders

Past: 1988 740 GLE estate
crip010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crip010 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 00:10   #93
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
A change in tyre width is also a change in sidewall height. Since these cars have all sorts of high-tech
safety systems (eg. run off road mitigation) that try to stabilize the car, perhaps the systems that
monitor the 3D position of the car need to know what movement is normal or not. Since tyrewall height
changes the behavior of the car, maby the software of the relevant safety features needs to be told.
No, that does not compute. The safety systems monitor how the car is behaving on the road and act only if it has to to correct wayward behaviour.

As long as the rolling circumference of the wheels are within a couple of percent, it's not something that need worry anyone. Different pressures of swapped tyres to previous tyres may necessitate a recalibration of the tyre pressure monitoring system though but that is explained in the manual and easily accomplished through the sensus system by any driver.
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 14:17   #94
JamesN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
I don't disagree that winter tyres give more grip, I believe all who have told me so. It's the assertion that they are essential I question.

I do wonder at people living in London and Hemel Hempstead having a sort of winter tyre fitting ritual.
It usually involves lots of swearing and vows to just buy all-season tyres next time

I wouldn't go so far as to claim they are essential. But there are occasionally conditions where it would be prudent to have them if don't have the option not to drive. Chances are you'll end up stuck behind all the stranded people still running summer tyres though.

However, that said, we live near the top of a small but steep hill that has a reputation for icing over, but isn't well travelled enough to warrant regular salting. (The house on the corner at the bottom of the hill always has a new looking fence...). On summer tyres you can end up vehicularly stranded for days even if the rest of the roads are entirely passable.

I started off running winter tyres on a spare set of 16" rims a few years ago on my old car, and then eventually switched to running all-seasons year round. It's worked well for us. Even without decent snow the extra grip from winter or all-season tyres in the cold and wet is reassuring, and I've never felt a particular lack of grip during warmer weather either. Running all-seasons year round saved the faff of swapping, and had the added bonus of better ride quality and cheaper tyres than the original 18" rims.

I'd definitely run all-seasons on the T8 if you could get them in the 20" size to match the wheels. Instead I have a set of 19" wheels and winter tyres on order, and when they wear out I'll probably switch to all-seasons.

J
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 15:33   #95
Ringthane
VOC Member

A couple of weeks ago, I enquired about a set of 20” wheels and winter tyres, and at the same time, asked my local tyre fitter, the cost and feasibility of fitting Michelin Crossclimates to my existing wheels and storing the summers.

After deliberating, I decided that, while I still had tread on my existing tyres, I would gamble on the weather not turning so nasty, that I couldn’t use my car on summer tyres. I’m gambling this winter, but will definitely get Crossclimates for next winter. For a soft southern winter, they are easily good enough.

I had them for two winters on my old XC60, and worked perfectly, even in the beast from the east.

I can’t be dealing with swapping wheel and tyre sets.
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 15:55   #96
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I enquired about a set of 20” wheels and winter tyres, and at the same time, asked my local tyre fitter, the cost and feasibility of fitting Michelin Crossclimates to my existing wheels and storing the summers.

After deliberating, I decided that, while I still had tread on my existing tyres, I would gamble on the weather not turning so nasty, that I couldn’t use my car on summer tyres. I’m gambling this winter, but will definitely get Crossclimates for next winter. For a soft southern winter, they are easily good enough.

I had them for two winters on my old XC60, and worked perfectly, even in the beast from the east.

I can’t be dealing with swapping wheel and tyre sets.
I am not sure the cost of 20" tyres in all weather or winter etc. but I do know the difference is huge from 21's to 19's that I got such a good deal on the tyres and rims from Volvo that after another set of tyres to go on the 19s the saving is the rims themselves.

One thing I do like about the 19's Nokian tyres is higher walled and the wall sticks out a little more thus good protection of the rims, as for ride and handling, tbh it is a really a very slight difference at first but you soon get used to it, and you forget all about it.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 18:44   #97
Zebra
Chief of Staff

At last, collected the new wheels with winter tyres from Volvo dealer. 10 spoke 19" with Dunlop Winter Sport 5 SUV 235/55R19 V 105. Will fit them on the weekend.

All sorts of issues trying to get them as they are normally made up in Germany and the mid European market is hoovering them all up and few making it to Blighty.

Also got the rubber mats so now set for alpine adventures.

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 08:35   #98
crip010

I tried to get some 20" r design wheels with snow tyres as it was a really good deal and was told I was order number 55 and they only have about 10 in stock so had to sort it another way so you've done well.

The mats are a really good edition though for the wet and snow, I bought a set and they fit really well!
MY17 XC90 D5 Powerpulse R Design, Black, Xenium, air suspension, CarPlay, BLIS, Winter, Family pack 7 seat climate, Heated Rear Seats, Power Cushion Extensions, Tinted Windows, tow pack, 22" Wheels, ipad holders

Past: 1988 740 GLE estate
crip010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 13:12   #99
I Feel Old

With respect, the more I read this thread the more apparent it becomes that the fitting of winter tyres is not simply explained through the better grip. It is a much more complex and very much a subjective choice.

The reality is that much of what is offered, and believed to be, evidence for the need of winter tyres, is not in fact empirical evidence at all.

I now have my XC60 and have decided not to put winter tyres on it for now (I must check what rubber it actually sits on). Let's see how it performs during the coming winter.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 13:57   #100
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The (significantly) superior grip is surely indisputable? The question is whether or not it's worth it for you.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: