Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Johnsons Volvo... A Warning.

Views : 2247

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 20:12   #1
Bill_56
Premier Member

Default Johnsons Volvo... A Warning.

About 18 months ago I entrusted some warranty work to Johnsons of Oxford.

Ever since, I have had a stream of nuisance phone calls from them, every few weeks/months, on the mobile number I supplied during service. Each time they call I tell them not to call again, but they always do. These calls seem to come from some HQ centre rather than the Oxford branch.

More worrying, last week, I received a reminder that according to their records ... my car will soon be due for its next service. It isn't, my car is on a 12 month/18k miles service interval and was last service, at a Volvo main dealer, about 8 months/8k miles ago. Somebody more gullible than me might have believed them of course, and shelled out for unnecessary work.

To each his own, but I'd strongly advise anybody thinking of using Johnsons of Oxford to seriously consider either Fawcetts of Newbury, or Motorlux at Wantage, both are franchised main dealers and both have provided service that is beyond reproach in the years I've owned Volvos.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 20:58   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Can i just ask how were they to know the car had been serviced at another different main dealer from their own? (from my understanding of the post).

Although they should remove your data from their system if you say to remove your data and stop contacting you.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 21:09   #3
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Can i just ask how were they to know the car had been serviced at another different main dealer from their own? (from my understanding of the post).

Although they should remove your data from their system if you say to remove your data and stop contacting you.
I can only speculate that their service 'reminder' is a complete guess, based on the anniversary of date of registration, since my car is indeed approaching it's birthday. There are of course many reasons that the service date drifts from that anniversary.

The only time Johnsons saw the car was for out-of-service warranty work, shortly following a previous service at a different dealer.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 21:15   #4
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Well it will be based on the registration date of the vehicle because the 12 month term has elapsed on their system.

hmm but they should not of been calling you anyway in fairness to yourself.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 21:36   #5
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Well it will be based on the registration date of the vehicle because the 12 month term has elapsed on their system.

hmm but they should not of been calling you anyway in fairness to yourself.
I think you may be missing the point, there is absolutely no reason for them to assume that service corresponds to date of registration.

Johnsons may have had sight of the service history when the warranty work was carried out, which would have shown the previous service in April 2011, and so next service was due at March/April 2012. Even if I had not had that carried out (which I did, elsewhere) it is no reason at all for them to conclude that service would be due again in December 2012.

But in any case, the point is that they sent me a fairly convincing letter that suggested service was due, when it wasn't. The letter went on to stress how a full-service history enhances resale value. Cynics could read 'scare-mongering' into that.

The letter was carefully worded... 'regular servicing will not only ensure you car runs at optimum... etc'. Note that they refer to 'regular servicing', rather than Volvo's own service schedule, and I would imagine that may be their 'get out of jail' card should I take a complaint to Trading Standards.

Last edited by Bill_56; Dec 5th, 2012 at 21:39.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:01   #6
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
I think you may be missing the point, there is absolutely no reason for them to assume that service corresponds to date of registration.

Yes there is, service should be every xxxx miles or xx months so lets say its at 18 months that would mean every 18 months if MAY need a service.
That does't mean they should keep phonng you though, a good company will ring at most twice or send a persanally addressed text or Email.
and having a full service does increase the resale value!
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:15   #7
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
Yes there is, service should be every xxxx miles or xx months so lets say its at 18 months that would mean every 18 months if MAY need a service.
That does't mean they should keep phonng you though, a good company will ring at most twice or send a persanally addressed text or Email.
and having a full service does increase the resale value!
The letter did not say MAY be due for service, it said WILL (soon) be due for service. But even if it had said 'MAY', I would still disagree. Of all the cars I have owned since I started using main-dealer service, I don't think any of the 'due dates' have borne much correspondence with the cars' birthdays, once more than 2-3 years old.

For one thing, the service is due at either 12 months or 18 k miles, whichever is sooner. Any time the car exceeds 18k miles in a year, which is common for 'executive cars' such as Volvo in the early years, the service date creeps forwards from the date of registration.

Alternatively, whilst I would never allow a service to 'slip', a previous owner might. Should I then buy the car, the service date would again have become misaligned from the anniversary of registration.

Yet again, I may buy a used car that is due for service in (say) 3 months time, and negotiate with the seller to thrown in an early service as part of the deal. Yet again, service date is then detached from birthday.

Last edited by Bill_56; Dec 5th, 2012 at 22:20. Reason: Premature senility
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:27   #8
Bill_56
Premier Member

I would also add that, whereas I have been using Vauxhall, Saab, and now Volvo franchised dealers for all servicing for over 20 years now, this is the first time I have taken exception to their tactics.

So I really don't think I'm being 'over-sensitive'. But as I said in the opening post, 'to each his own' If other folks want to carry on using Johnsons then carry on, you may be fine.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:41   #9
volvo145
Premier Member

As far as i know a lot of companies remind you of a service or special offers if you have been a customer..
Its simple to stop as you just phone up there service department which i have done in the past.Once you have done that they should take you off there contact list.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 22:49   #10
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
As far as i know a lot of companies remind you of a service or special offers if you have been a customer..
Its simple to stop as you just phone up there service department which i have done in the past.Once you have done that they should take you off there contact list.
Remnding of a service is one thing, deceiving into thinking that service is due when it isn't, is another.