Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY Zinc electroplating at home

Views : 3497

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2021, 15:37   #1
fishyboy

Default DIY Zinc electroplating at home

Hi all,
This week I have had my first go some DIY zinc electroplating and I thought you might be interested in the results.

I am using a Zinc plating kit supplied by Gateros Plating, based in the UK (https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/zinc-plating-kit-5L). The kit has actually sat on my shelf in the garage for the last 3 years and I finally decided lockdown was the ideal time to have a go. Dan at Gateros is a great font of knowledge, always willing to help and also written a easy to follow book on electroplating (https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/acc...roplating-book).

All of these chemicals must be handled properly to avoid any accidents, especially with the acids. You’ll need the appropriate PPE (Gloves, mask, face shield or goggles) and will end up looking the Walter White in his Crystal Meth lab (Photo 1).

I started with the battery bracket from 1966 Volvo Amazon (Photo 2) for some suitable parts. Most of the original zinc plating had disappeared (the original 25 micron zinc plating is preferentially sacrificed instead of the steel at about a micron a year) and there was local pitting and some rust (I had previously cleaned the components on a wire wheel last year).

My plating set up has an alkaline cleaning bath (to degrease the pieces), an acid dip (to remove any remaining old zinc plating, rust and general muck), electrolysis tank (to do the plating) and a passivation bath (apply the final chromate protective layer). As I was a bit eager and had not set up the cleaning bath or acid dip I substituted these two by a methylated spirit bath to degrease and a HCL acid dip to remove old plating, rust and also act as a pre-plate etch.

As with most things preparation is the key. Poor preparation will lead to a poor plate. Compared to the commercial platters we can probably spend more time on the prep and at least match the professionals products.

For this run I took the bracket parts, which has some surface rust and pitting (Photo 1) and put them into the HCL acid dip. For this I used neat Bostik Mortar and Brick Cleaner which is approximately 20% HCL and available over the counter at places like ToolStation. I left the pierces in the acid dip to chemically clean for 30mins, the washed in water to remove any acid residue. I then gave the pieces a good buffing on a wire wheel to polish up the metal. Next I calculated the surface area of the items and calculated the current required for plating (at a rate of 0.1 Amp/Sq Inch). The parts were then scrubbed with meths (spirit not “crystal”), washed in water, dipped in the HCL solution for one minute to etch the surface, allowing for a better plate, and washed again. The items then went into my electrolyte tank (hung off copper pipe on copper wire – Photo 3) and platted for 40mins. The electrolyte was heated to 25C using a fish tank heater, agitated using a fish tank pump and the current was produced and regulated by a cheap variable power supply off eBay. After another water-wash the pieces were dipped for 40secsonds into the clear chromate passivate (Photo 4) to enhance corrosion resistance. I chose the clear finish over the more modern yellow finish. Once more the parts were given a final water-wash and then hung to dry for 48hrs. Finally, the parts were put back on the Amazon.

I have to say the parts came out pretty good for the first attempt (Photos 5 to 8). While it may not make economic sense in the short term, I think the feeling of satisfaction from doing your own work and with the results being at least on a par with commercial platters, all make it worthwhile. The whole process is within easy reach of most owners

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 1.jpg (9.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 2.JPG (105.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 3.JPG (109.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 4.JPG (92.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 5.JPG (111.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 6.JPG (122.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 7.JPG (75.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DIY Electroplating 8.JPG (86.8 KB, 78 views)
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 17:18   #2
142 Guy
Master Member

The results look very good. We won't get into the cost effectiveness side of the equation.

HCL / Muriatic acid is an effective rust remover. I have muriatic acid around because I have a 90+ year old solid masonry house that requires repointing on a regular basis. I am a poor mason so I need the acid for cleaning up my sloppy repointing. The muriatic acid which is easily available here is 20 Baume which is more like 30+ % so should be used diluted. Be aware that prolonged dipping can result in hydrogen embrittlement of steel. That is not a problem for things like brackets; but, to be avoided on highly stressed pieces. The biggest problem I have found with using HCL as a rust remover is the flash rusting that occurs after removal and clean up of the piece.

The yellow suits, respirators and vats might have been an interesting sight for any neighbors who spotted you. This didn't precipitate a raid from the local constabulary for cooking up a different kind of 'meth'?
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 14:32   #3
Army
marches on his stomach

Have you tried it on welded repairs yet?

In the classic Land Rover world there are often complaints about vast sums of money spent on hot galvanising only to have very patchy looking finishes.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 15:37   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

That’s rather interesting isn’t it!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 01:10   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Be aware that prolonged dipping can result in hydrogen embrittlement of steel. That is not a problem for things like brackets; but, to be avoided on highly stressed pieces.
Hydrogen embrittlement can be removed by "cooking" the steel in an oven for a period of time, not sure on exact figures but basically by heating it for about an hour at a relatively low heat the hydrogen escapes.

I'm a big fan of electrolytic rust removal using a sacrificial anode of steel, water with some washing soda added and the work piece is the cathode.

I haven't tried zinc plating as yet, just nickel plating. Made a few mistakes but also had a few good results too, not as good as the OPs but that said i was only trying it as an experiment.

The cost of DIY is much cheaper than having it done "professionally" but neither is cheap but still cheaper than renewing and as the OP pointed out, the satisfaction of refurbishing the parts yourself.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 05:30   #6
Army
marches on his stomach

Hydrogen embrittlement again (!)

On the whole the chances of that happening on these types of car parts is pretty low. Most of these parts are made of a steel with a low carbon content. Hardening (if any) is usually made by work hardening during a pressing process of manufacture.

Those of you who are concerned about hydrogen embrittlement have a butchers here =>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrog...tlement#Steels
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 11:34   #7
fishyboy

Hi all
Some more before and after zinc plating photos of parts from the 131 engine bay.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6029.jpg (114.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6031.jpg (118.0 KB, 39 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 19:38   #8
fishyboy

Hi all
Finished of the dip stick today.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.JPG (106.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg After.JPG (88.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Detail.JPG (74.5 KB, 26 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 20:11   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Very nice too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 13:05   #10
Vintagewrench

Nice work on all of your parts and pieces, it sure makes a big difference in the appearance of all of the pieces.

Cadmium plating, not zinc was commonly used on fasteners and small parts on Volvos and other cars up to about 1970. At about that point it fell out of favor because it is extremely toxic, and the plating process polluted the environment, harmed workers, and some of the chemicals and left over cadmium found its way into waste water. It is a hazardous substance and for the most part was banned in the EU and the US by the EPA.

Cadmium is actually extracted from zinc ore and the two metals are related, and share some similarities with mercury.

While preparing parts do not remove it with a wire brush as the dust that results is highly toxic. Learn more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post: