Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 hesitation on accelerating

Views : 7523

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 20:51   #1
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Default V70 hesitation on accelerating

Can anyone give me a pointer on why my v70 2.5 20v hesitates on acceleration? Warmed up it comes and goes, but when cold and warming up its very lethargic. Could it be a fuel issue? No codes thrown up, but I have the problem with the TRACS and abs light on, An issue I am waiting for spares for to fix.

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 22:29   #2
green van man
Premier Member

No idea what your trouble is but if its any help my V70 diesel had a flat spot when accelerating when I baught it, no fault lights showing, turned out to be MAF sensor faulty. £300 or so later was back to flying. Told MAF sensor was only thing that would give the symtoms and not show a fault light.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 23:20   #3
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Can anyone give me a pointer on why my v70 2.5 20v hesitates on acceleration? Warmed up it comes and goes, but when cold and warming up its very lethargic. Could it be a fuel issue? No codes thrown up, but I have the problem with the TRACS and abs light on, An issue I am waiting for spares for to fix.
from my experience its all linked to your ABS/TRACS issue
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 08:22   #4
scutyde
Retrofit master

ABS/TRACS -> bad solder points in the unit?
Which year is yours? 99er and up models are known for problems due to the e-gas throttle unit.

Cristian
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 08:34   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Hesitation when cold

Before looking for complicated and expensive explanations and solutions it's a good idea to consider the simple stuff first.

For what they cost, try some new spark plugs and an air filter. Total cost less than £20.

If the car has a distributor cap, rotor and plug leads then either replace or at least clean up the contacts. If yours is a 99MY or later it's possibly an ETM car, and so may not have a dissy and rotor in the conventional sense.

Get some carb cleaner and manually clean the throttle body. If it's never been done you'll be amazed at how much gunk accumulates. Read the instructions on the carb cleaner tin carefully.

Clean and remake the earth connections under the bonnet - one on the engine block and one near the battery.

Finally, drop some injector cleaner in the fuel tank next time you fill up.

We had a not dissimilar set of symptoms with our S70 recently, and the above steps cured it.

One last thought - are you certain the thermostat is in good order? The temperature should be at the 3-o'clcok position within a couple of miles, even on a cold morning, and the heater nice and hot. If this doesn't happen then you need a new thermostat. A dodgy thermostat will definitely affect cold running performance. £10 from GSF, £20 for a genuine Volvo one. Don't forget the rubber sealing ring too.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Nov 8th, 2012 at 08:39.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:36   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Suggestions is the above post are all very good ones, but personally I'd sort out the ABS problem first - as mentioned, most likely by re-soldering the unit.

Reason I say this is that the ABS unit does provide at least one signal feed (vehicle speed) to the main engine ECU, so if the ABS unit is playing silly b*ggers then it's possible that it is messing up the control of the main engine ECU too.

All the best
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:13   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Good advice there from Luxo.

One thing to do that might help clarify how far the ABS unit is at fault would simply be to disconnect it I guess and see if that affects anything.

The ABS and TRACS won't work of course, neither will the speedo. I mentioned our S70, which also had ABS issues just before the poor running problems started, but the car was certainly driveable with the ABS module disconnected.

If there's a poor idle when cold then that too might suggest that the problem isn't related to the ABS as the car isn't moving and so can't get any signal from the ABS unit about the roadspeed!

Cheers

Jack

BTW: If you don't fancy trying to fix the ABS module yourself, there are a number of companies offering a good repair-exchange service.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 16:08   #8
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Found a few Vacuum leaks, Fixed them, seems to be a bit better, Tracs fault was repaired a day later, and thats gone now, (usual dry joints inside the unit)

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 10:05   #9
N Gauge Bob
N Gauge Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Mine is the exact opposite. It is fine when cold but starts jerking at around 10 miles, at which time the bottom right hand "gearbox sign" illuminates on the dash panel. Mine is a v70 1999 I assume 20v as I haven't got the log book yet, fuel injection type.
N Gauge Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 11:08   #10
V70Zig
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Gauge Bob View Post
Mine is the exact opposite. It is fine when cold but starts jerking at around 10 miles, at which time the bottom right hand "gearbox sign" illuminates on the dash panel. Mine is a v70 1999 I assume 20v as I haven't got the log book yet, fuel injection type.
Think you'll find that is the engine management light. There will be codes stored so get a reader on it......beats guessing

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Zig For This Useful Post: