Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Abs unit

Views : 1687

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 16:02   #11
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
Ooh, mine has 6 .. time to find a TRACS switch!
Then Again I could talkin out of my Rear End !!!LOL!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 21:57   #12
Vimto

Hi Everyone

I am deeply depressed!

Damn the Volvo 1997 850 S Estate.

I got this motor for £375.00 so I got what I paid for. What really bugs me is the way this ABS ECU problem causes so much hassle and is so expensive to replace as a new unit.

Damn and blast all computer-controlled cars.

What I'd really like to do is rip out the ABS system completely. Sensors, rings, wiring and ECU and pump and then take out the light fitting to the dash. Just get rid of the whole thing completely.

Why?

Because two garages have had my car for eight days and twelve days respectively and can't do a darn thing because they are numpties.

I told them the problem and they faffed about and found the problem I told them. Then they pratted about some more and it gets no better.

The first garage is really just a scrap yard and I'm well miffed with the state the car was in when I eventually got it back. They did some work but didn't put things back together correctly or tighten anything up. Anything they took off the car was left up under the bonnet near the wiper blade arms. I can only assume they are deeply depressed because of dealing with Volvos.

I'd made a list of jobs to be done and asked on my list for a pre MOT check and MOT. I also listed service items I wanted doing.

No receipt, no clear indication of what work had been done. An engine stabiliser bush that I wasted money on from a main dealers because this garage (read 'scrap yard') couldn't fit it. I got a secondhand one fitted instead - I think along with the V unit!

No ABS ECU repair beacuse no other customer had come in with a 1997 Volvo 850 S to knick their ABS ECU unit off to check if the ABS light went out.

So, you go to a garage to get a job done and they borrow bits off your car to check if another customer's car is working correctly or not!

It just doesn't get any better with the next garage and I'm still waiting for the auto electrician with the jeweller's magnifying glass.

Seems they've been away on holiday for a week.

The ABS ECU came off easily enough and it was already split open. The person who did that must have been depressed because they had a Volvo so they neglected to put any sealant around the ECU when they bolted it back on.

So, I'm losing work and I can't go on my weekend break all because I have a Volvo.

Avoid them like the plauge is my advice.

Something went wrong with Volvo in about 1985.

They're trading on their name nowadays.
Vimto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 22:08   #13
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
I got this motor for £375.00 so I got what I paid for. What really bugs me is the way this ABS ECU problem causes so much hassle and is so expensive to replace as a new unit.
Really??? This is a Wind up Right ???? ... Recon ABS unit from reputable supplier £60 fitted by Volvo "Indie" (or Reputable garage) ... £80

Total Cost £140...

You should have come on here sooner & asked the guys advise .. it may have saved you the hassle you've been put through ...
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 22:38   #14
Vimto

Been here, done that.

I learnt everything I know about the Volvo 2.5 auto 850 S ABS ECU from here. I reckon I could build one out of the component parts.

I was busy with work so I handed it over to the experts.

I accept they have to be rational and do all the checks but, I'd pinpointed the problem and I was right.

I could have the one I've got fixed for £59.99 including returned by recorded delivery by a company in Swansea.

Everybody I've dealt with has known this. I've given them addresses. I've given them colour printouts of the areas of the board to be re soldered. I even offered them my e5 torx socket.

Why didn't I do it?

It was windy!

That circuit board is bleedin small though and it would take a jeweller's magnifying glass and a steady hand.

Better for me to leave it to an auto electrician or someone who repairs transistors.

The garages said their is someone local!

Like all things in this existence I'm better doing it myself.

We are thankfully, doomed as a species. And the sooner the better.

Hey! Just remembered. I don't have the Volvo Diagnostic Tool to clear the codes (OBD II no good) and I can't give the vehicle an MOT.

I just thought "I'll do what I'm good at (Philosophy and digging ditches) and give the work to an expert re the flagging economy and all that. Get the country back on its feet like.

Sod em all. I'm going to go and live in a wood.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 22:54   #15
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

first of all if the problem is sorted the light will go by itself no need for code reader of any description, secondly are u sre its the ecu? i did the repair and light stayed on, mine turned out to be a faulty abs sensor and 1 piece broken on the reluctor ring.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 23:23   #16
Vimto

Yes it's the ECU.

To be fair to the second garage they did all the checks right through. Initally they couldn't commuicate with the ECU and the pump wasn't working.

The first garage did a sensor check and got near as equal reading off all four.

I told the second garage to do as they pleased and they have taken an empirical approach and systematically gone over everything. They got the pump working and have taken off the ECU to be re soldered.

I reckoned it was that, from reading posts on here. I had the associated speedo and odometer problems and, on very cold days, the ABS light went out when the solder joints were damp and so a connection was made until they warmed up and the ABS light came back on.

The MOT is due on the 27th February so I started early and, after all the waiting, I hope to get the car back soon.

Then I expect loads of lights to come on and all manner of problems due to stuff that can't be tackled with a spanner or screwdriver.

I'm after a 1970s transit or any car that has never heard of a computer.

I also want a car in which I can hear lots of road noise. I like to be in touch with the road. These modern cars are useless and unsafe because people can't hear the road noise. They're in a soundless bubble and so a souless bubble and it will be their undoing when they think they're at home in their favourite armchair.

I always liked those 1964 Ford Corsairs. Comfortable but you could feel and hear the road.

It's also good to have simple brakes so you have to be alert.

Modern life is rubbish.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 20:27   #17
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
if you have the number i have a few in my shed
you can have one for postage if its the right one
Do you have ABS/Tract unit for a 2000 C70 2.3T5?

JP
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:38   #18
Rob.D
Captain Mainbearing

Hi ALL, I deeply sympathise with Vimto! My 1998 Volvo V70 2.5 Auto SE model has been well what shall I say, - A Love/Hate syndrome!!! There was I thinking that I was the ONLY one that was experiencing deep and potentially VERY expensive trouble with my ABS Pump/ECU (with TRACS) unit, and here I discover that I'm not the ONLY ONE! I must replace these items pronto. The Volvo part number for the two is 9173470, so if anyone can help in any way, I would be extremely grateful? I draw comfort from the fact that the problem seems UNIVERSAL!
Rob.D is offline   Reply With Quote