Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

thermal switch for electric cooling fan conversion.

Views : 2145

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:10   #1
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default thermal switch for electric cooling fan conversion.

Can someone let me know where to obtain a thermal switch suitable for operating a relay so that my conversion to electric fan can be carried out successfully? I believe that someone has done such a conversion and it was reported on in one of these forums a while back. The info on where that report is would also be appreciated. Thankyou for your time in advance.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2002, 19:55   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: thermal switch for electric cooling fan conversion.

Peter - I suppose you could source one from Kenlowe? Otherwise, and electronic component supplier like Maplins or CPC may have something suitable.

PS: Happy Christmas to you and June

Paul
Old Dec 12th, 2002, 21:03   #3
Ian HT
VOC Member

Hello Peter,

I fitted an electric fan kit from Kenlowe to my 940 early this year. I think I reported that the adjustable temperature switch looked almost the same as the one I had just changed on my household boiler - approx. 1.5 inch cube shaped switch with a knob to turn for adjustment and spade connectors for the wires. It also has a thin capillary tube about three feet long with a "bulb" on the end that goes into the radiator where the top hose fits. I do not know how the temperature ranges of the Kenlowe-supplied part compare with a household boiler part!

I did wonder whether a standard Volvo part would do the job. I believe that some (air-con.?) cars have a thermoswitch in a short length of tube fitted into the bottom radiator hose. Would that be set at the right temperature? If rated too hot (to work the air-con electric fan as back-up?) would it work better in the top hose which may be meant to run hotter?

Halfords do replacement electric fan switches. Probably only any use if by some miracle your radiator has a matching threaded hole or if you make up your own length of tube (exhaust pipe?), weld a suitably threaded nut on and fit a switch of your choice.

On balance a "proper" adjustable switch would be easier. Note that the Kenlowe system uses a rubber fillet/wedge to help the top hose seal around the capillary tube: it really needs some of that rubbery gasket sealant to guarantee no leaks.

Apologies for rambling on, hope this helps!

Ian.

Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2002, 21:15   #4
Mike Arnold
Master Member

The professional electronic supply companies keep a selection of thermal switches. Maplin tend to be a bit limited. The best pro suppliers are RS (rswww.com) and Farnell (farnell.com). RS are a bit stuffy and will only supply to those with access to an official account but they did have a domestic mail order outlet (Electrovalue or something like that). Farnell (in Leeds) will serve anyone with money.

If you are really stuck I might be able to get to RS in Stockport providing you know what you want.

Happy hunting.
Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:23   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Thankyou for the help gents. I shall have a good hunt for a local stockist for these items. A merry Xmas to you and your families.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote