Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 rear fog light

Views : 1153

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2018, 11:18   #1
krismorgan

Default 960 rear fog light

Hi there,
My 1994 960 estate failed its mot on the rear foglight not working.I never even noticed it doh.
Anyway checked the bulb-fine,fuse fine,the fog switch was not even plugged in so done that-still nothing.So im thinking relay as i have no relay sound when switching it on.Can anybody tell me which relay i should be checking before i just wire an aftermarket one in?cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1437.jpg (176.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by krismorgan; Sep 6th, 2018 at 11:34. Reason: added a line
krismorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 13:58   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I can't answer re the relay. But.

Does your car have towing electrics? If so there are two other possibles causes to consider for the problem.

1. Many towing electrics sockets have a mechanical switch to switch the car high intensity rear lights orf when towing electrics are plugged in. Usually a simple piece of brass that makes and breaks the contact to the car's high intensity rear lights. That switch can fail.

2. There is apparently a possible failure in the "inner workings" of newer type towing electrics. I've seen it mentioned but I have older type towing electrics so I didn't pay much attention.

Good luck.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 16:28   #3
krismorgan

Cheers,never thought of that as it has extra wiring in the rear panel and i think it once had a tow bar before ownership.
The Following User Says Thank You to krismorgan For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 21:15   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The rear fogs don't have a relay. Check out Pg45 of this pdf :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y94_Wiring.pdf

Do your front fogs work? Have you changed the bulbs in the rear ones? Does the warning light come on when you switch the rear fogs on? They only work on dipped beam by the way! Depending on your switch, you may have to switch the front fogs on first and then the rears (3 position switch) or if you have 2 separate switches, the front fogs will work on sidelights with ignition and if the front fogs are on, the rears should work as well.

Stephens idea of the towing socket could be worth a look - if you have a trailerboard with a fog light, plug that in and you should see if the rear fog works on that. If so then it's the disconnect circuitry at fault.

Also worth checking the bulb holders, sometimes the contacts can get dirty as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2018, 22:57   #5
krismorgan

Cheers for that too.In the end there was no power to the fog lamp so i ran a wire with a new switch and all was fine,mot passed today,thanks for the ideas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krismorgan For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 11:52   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

That's good that you have the rear high intensity lights again, and a new MOT.

If the cause niggles with you, then the extra wiring must be suspect. And if it is towing wiring, that is a known cause of there being no power at the vehicle high intensity rear lights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2018, 12:23   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
If the cause niggles with you, then the extra wiring must be suspect. And if it is towing wiring, that is a known cause of there being no power at the vehicle high intensity rear lights.
It should niggle - unresolved wiring problems can lead to fires!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 17:33   #8
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The rear fogs don't have a relay. Check out Pg45 of this pdf :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...Y94_Wiring.pdf

Do your front fogs work? Have you changed the bulbs in the rear ones? Does the warning light come on when you switch the rear fogs on? They only work on dipped beam by the way! Depending on your switch, you may have to switch the front fogs on first and then the rears (3 position switch) or if you have 2 separate switches, the front fogs will work on sidelights with ignition and if the front fogs are on, the rears should work as well.

Stephens idea of the towing socket could be worth a look - if you have a trailerboard with a fog light, plug that in and you should see if the rear fog works on that. If so then it's the disconnect circuitry at fault.

Also worth checking the bulb holders, sometimes the contacts can get dirty as well.
Fogs work with just side lights on.
In fact it’s illegal to drive in Sweden with dipped beam AND fogs. It’s one or the other

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 19:44   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Fogs work with just side lights on.
In fact it’s illegal to drive in Sweden with dipped beam AND fogs. It’s one or the other

Cheers
Are you saying that in Sweden if one needs high intensity rear lights, one is only allowed to have "side" lights switched on at the front? I don't understand that.

In UK it is so far as I know usual that high intensity rear lights are wired not to work unless front headlights, or front foglights, are switched on. I think that is logical because if headlamps/foglamps are not justified how likely is it that high intensity rear lights can be justified?

Whether the high intensity rear will work with main beam as well as dipped is a moot point. On my 240 the high intesnity rear work with either headlamp dipped or main beam. After all one would not want the bright rear lamps going off if one flashes the main beam for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 20:21   #10
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

The “high intensity rear lights” is unnecessary - they’re fog lights 🤣

It appears so. If the fog is as thick enough as to not be able to see where you’re going without dipped headlights, you should drive slower - which I think is their thinking.
“Proper” front fog lights have steeply angled beams allowing the driver to see the road and be seen easier without dazzling.

On my 960, the front fogs work with lights set to 0, Park or Dipped. The rear fogs only come on with dipped headlights

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote