Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Self opening boot

Views : 1559

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2018, 17:25   #1
BARNEYROVER
VOC Member

Question Self opening boot

Locked car up on Saturday morning, everything secure when left. An hour later returned to find boot wide open. Checked VOC on phone and it showed all locked and no warning from phone to say car unlocked. All other doors and windows fully locked. Had key in pocket and am sure not activated accidently but even so no phone warning. Lucky nothing missing as quite a bit in boot at time. Makes me wary about it happening again. Anyone else had similar fault?
BARNEYROVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 17:32   #2
weemark

Not on my XC90 no thankfully - happened twice on my Disco Sport tho, once at 60mph on the A14. Heap of garbage had to go for that and a number of other reasons
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 17:32   #3
MaDProFF
Master Member

Boot generally closes and then reopens a little due to something stopping it closing. It is annoying as you walk away, I always look around to double check.

Not the first car manufacturer it has happened to me before.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 17:38   #4
BARNEYROVER
VOC Member

Yes had that problem when something in way and boot opens again on hitting it. I always do check that it stays shut when locking car and even occasionally check VOC on phone when away from it to check all ok. As no doors shown open this time even that exercise seems a waste of time.
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 22:26   #5
pdhv40

Not on an XC90 but when I had my Disco Sport I had an evoque as a courtesy car and that had the boot sensor on it.

It was a nightmare when it rained and often the boils would self open if rain drops got on the sensor. In the end the JLR technician pulled the fuse as the only work around he knew!
pdhv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 23:44   #6
Director76
Master Member

The slightest activity around the towbar at floor level opens or closes the blasted boot.

Hooking the 13 pin plug in the other day the boot opened into my bike rack, fortunately it hit a soft saddle and no damage was done.

Why the electronics don’t isolate the electric boot when you have anything plugged in to the towbar power (like it did on my Touareg), I’ll never know. Schoolboy design error!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 09:17   #7
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
The slightest activity around the towbar at floor level opens or closes the blasted boot.

Hooking the 13 pin plug in the other day the boot opened into my bike rack, fortunately it hit a soft saddle and no damage was done.

Why the electronics don’t isolate the electric boot when you have anything plugged in to the towbar power (like it did on my Touareg), I’ll never know. Schoolboy design error!
+1 for disabling when electrics are plugged in, but then that wouldn't help the accidental triggering when you move into plug in the electrics! A simple disable option with Sensus setting would do for me! My work around is to put the key out of range of the boot when I'm messing around down there!

Regarding the OP's original question, its odd that the VOC app didn't show the boot open, maybe this suggests a failure rather than an unfortunate accidental opening.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 10:21   #8
Haldex
Premier Member

How far was your car from the nearest key fob?..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 12:10   #9
BARNEYROVER
VOC Member

Car was about 100/200 yds parked in car park outside bath showroom.
The Following User Says Thank You to BARNEYROVER For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 14:45   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Oookay... that's worrisome.. I hope this is just some VOC glitch and not an actual malfunction on the keyless entry module - otherwise our cars will be super easy to steal/rob..
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote