Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

seat swap with an electric seat

Views : 783

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2018, 22:04   #1
amazondean
amazondean

Default seat swap with an electric seat

I have the chance of fitting leather seats in my 850. However my seats are not electric, but the replacement drivers seat is electric. How easy is it to fit the leather seat onto my non electric base. I am presuming it is straight forward, but haven't had time to investigate yet!

Thanks

Last edited by amazondean; Sep 11th, 2018 at 22:10.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 22:52   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

Straight forward ish. Very simple if you're happy with a bodge. Trickier and requiring much more parts if you want to do it properly. Here are a few links:

T5D5 link

T5D5 link two - has other links in that thread to other wiring diagrams etc.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 16:20   #3
amazondean
amazondean

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I'm not trying to wire in electric seats, I just want to fit the seat squab onto my non electric base. I haven't taken the seats to bits before, so I just wanted to know if I can have the leather seats but keep my non electric base somehow. I don't really like electric seats, they are too slow. I jut want to pull the handle and move the seat forward or backward.

Basically I just want to know if I can convert the new leather seat from automatic to manual without too much hassle

Thanks

Last edited by amazondean; Sep 12th, 2018 at 18:40.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 20:17   #4
Cookeh
Premier Member

To the best of my knowledge you'd have to take it off the frame. If you just need to replace the leather itself then the covers can come off fairly easily. If you want the foam base too then that can also come apart once you take the leather cover off. Then just swap them over.

Hopefully I'm now understanding it correctly. I am not sure if you can simply unbolt the bases and swap them over - though you should be able to tell easily just by looking at them.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 21:07   #5
amazondean
amazondean

So I presume I would have to snip all the circular clips off the underside that holds the leather cover on and all the internal ones too. I would want the foam base also. Could be a bit of a faf. I think you are right though, as I am guessing the leather will be strapped to the frame, unless the motorised part is removable. Sounds like it might be a quicker job getting power to the seats than stripping it all down!

If the base could come apart and bits swapped over then all well and good.
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 21:43   #6
amazondean
amazondean

It is looking more like I would need to convert my car to electric. I have read that the 850 is partially pre wired and just needs connecting under the dash. Is this the case? My car is a 1996 model diesel estate

I am planning on a donor car, so I could pinch whatever is needed off the other car to make this work.

Has anyone done this and could someone talk me through it please.

Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2018, 23:46   #7
Cookeh
Premier Member

If you're now looking to convert to electric then my first post has two links (which contain several other links) which should make the process fairly simple.

You are correct with regards to removal of the covers in your post before too.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 11:13   #8
amazondean
amazondean

Thanks for that cookeh

I have now done some investigation. I actually have three 850 diesel estates, one has electric drivers seat. The other two are manual seats. I am wanting to change one of my manual seat cars to leather, which has a drivers leather electric seat. I initially wanted to keep it manual but have realised it is going to be easier to try to convert it to electric

I have removed the drivers electric seat from one of my cars and removed the manual seat from my other car to compare and find the wires. The wiring for the electric seats are a thick green wire, a thinner brown/orange wire and a black wire which I presume is earth. The wires (apart from the black wire) go up under the dash and into two sockets. The thick green wire goes into the green socket and the brown/orange wire goes into the blue socket.

So I know where the wires will go now. Is it straight forward to get the small mental end out of the blue and green socket that holds the wires, as I will need these ends from the donar car to fit into the sockets of my car. I hope I am clear enough with my description.

The next question is, once I have the wires from the seat into the correct places in the green and blue sockets, is there a fuse I need to put in the fuse box. Looking under the bonnet at the fuses, there is no mention of electric seats?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5190796-972F-4523-879E-E8E819327BB2.jpg (160.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DD7DC59E-D3BF-4CC3-B65D-B4376F65007A.jpg (91.4 KB, 9 views)
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 11:16   #9
amazondean
amazondean

sttuggling to upload pictures

Last edited by amazondean; Sep 13th, 2018 at 11:24.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 11:30   #10
amazondean
amazondean

these are the wires under the seat from my car that has drivers electric seat. The green wire, brown/orange wire and black wire are for the electric seats. The other connector is for the heated seats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A0AC226B-480A-440C-A6E2-229310FF4C8F.jpg (164.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by amazondean; Sep 13th, 2018 at 11:36.