Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trouble getting Downpipe>Cat joint sealed

Views : 482

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2018, 21:55   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Trouble getting Downpipe>Cat joint sealed

Hi all,
I fitted a new Lambda sensor today, but the old one was so badly rusted into place I had to remove the cat and use a very lengthy breaker bar to get it to shift.

New Lambda is in, car runs fine, except for the fact that the cat>downpipe joint is blowing. It has the two swaged flange sections with the sealing ring between them, all surfaces were slightly pitted and rusty but were sealing just fine before I dismantled it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it to seal nicely again? Or am i looking at a new cat and downpipe to get a clean seal?
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 22:29   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Hi all,
I fitted a new Lambda sensor today, but the old one was so badly rusted into place I had to remove the cat and use a very lengthy breaker bar to get it to shift.

New Lambda is in, car runs fine, except for the fact that the cat>downpipe joint is blowing. It has the two swaged flange sections with the sealing ring between them, all surfaces were slightly pitted and rusty but were sealing just fine before I dismantled it.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it to seal nicely again? Or am i looking at a new cat and downpipe to get a clean seal?
Rotary wire brush in a drill on the mating faces, new gasket and thin smear of copper grease Phil.

Tighten it finger tight only before starting the engine, let it run up to temperature, tightening gently and evenly on the clamp until the blow stops.

Don't be tempted to use any form of exhaust sealant - it can easily clog the cat! Usually though, clean the mating faces up and a new sealing ring all smeared lightly with copper grease does the job.

I hope you smeared some copper grease on the threads of the new Lambda sensor so you don't have this palaver again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 01:58   #3
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Thanks Dave! Will sort that this coming week.

The Lambda was a Bosch unit and came pre-greased with copper grease and a neat plastic cap over the threads and sensor! Very good thinking of them.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 02:32   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I was slow discovering copper based grease Dave. About 1970. That tin of the stuff has gone manky now. (Technical term?) But the current tin of the stuff is always ready to hand.

Castrol red grease, vegetable based, is also useful. Can still be got from e.g. eBay. For use with rubber. I always use it with cooling system hoses. (There is a reason why Durex do not recommend petroleum jelly lubricants.)
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 08:23   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Thanks Dave! Will sort that this coming week.

The Lambda was a Bosch unit and came pre-greased with copper grease and a neat plastic cap over the threads and sensor! Very good thinking of them.
The protective cap is a common fit to all replacement Lambdas Phil and usually some sort of anti-seize compound on the threads, whether it's copper or graphite grease or something similar.

Never enough of it though!

You might find the blow seals itself as you use the car and soot gets into the gaps, meanwhile the blow might cause a little rough running as technically you've got an air leak upstream of the Lambda sensor so as well as letting exhaust gases out, it's pulling air in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I was slow discovering copper based grease Dave. About 1970. That tin of the stuff has gone manky now. (Technical term?) But the current tin of the stuff is always ready to hand.

Castrol red grease, vegetable based, is also useful. Can still be got from e.g. eBay. For use with rubber. I always use it with cooling system hoses. (There is a reason why Durex do not recommend petroleum jelly lubricants.)
You'll probably find you can scrape the manky layer off the top of the grease Stephen - saves buying a new tin if so!

As for suitable lubricants for latex products - not very many! Silicone oil will cause the latex to deform and swell losing its elasticity, long time since i've done anything with latex (about 25 years ago) but i know we had to use a water-based lube to preserve its integrity.

Quite important when the latex products in question were small balloons as part of a bleed valve assembly as a pressure control for peristaltic and similar medical garments for preventing bed sores, DVT and other nasty things for patients with limited/restricted movement.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 10:15   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

Thats the flanged clamped joint?
The clamp normally rusts to death, how is yours. My 'fix' was to fit a custom stainless system from the Turbo back including new cat, although its fairly cheap and easy to fit (weld) a new sleeved joint or, more difficultly, to remake the original.

The clamp is captured on the down pipe and cat and cannot be removed, also pretty much impossible to source except for a 3 piece job, which seem rediculously expensive (£30 per side). According to my experience it should be possible to get this laser cut for a very small amount (like £2 per section).
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 10:31   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

This is the system i'm pretty sure he has Tony :

The sealing ring is SBG5 in that diagram and is pretty generic throughout not just Volvo exhausts but many others as well.

If all else fails, the clamp rings can be removed by cutting the ends of the two pipes and joined using one of these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-100-...t/301941663929

I think 54mm is the right size, would be wise to measure first though! The clamp bolts need tightening evenly, a couple of turns at a time on each or the sleeve will distort and blow.

All that said, if the exhaust parts aren't rotten (Phil mentioned slight pitting on each so nothing to speak of really) a new sealing ring and some copper grease on the ring after cleaning the inside of the conical bits of pipe then progressively tighten the clamp bolts as it warms up usually sorts it.

Old Sep 14th, 2018, 10:54   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

You'll probably find you can scrape the manky layer off the top of the grease Stephen - saves buying a new tin if so!

As for suitable lubricants for latex products - not very many!

The manky layer can stay to seal the contents of the museum piece tin. And why risk trusting the stuff underneath. Yuk. I'm not spoiling the jam jar for a haporth of new grease.

Plenty of lube on supermarket shelves nowadays....and as you mention latex I guess the forum member whose grandfather invented the bicycle will know about lubricating latex.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: