Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 losing coolant

Views : 2665

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:32   #51
Chris50

Quick update....my tape repair failed last night but probably my fault for being over confident and went on a 60 mile round trip involving fast A roads.
It's just seeping through and still drivable but will be checking and topping up every journey.
Hopefully replacement pipe will be here this week so I can ascertain if all ok now.
The car seems to run better now it's had a few good runs...it definitely didn't like being sat around for a few weeks.
Chris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris50 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:34   #52
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Fingers crossed the replacement pipe turns up soon Chris!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 22:12   #53
Chris50

New hoses being fitted in the morning so I will then establish if the kseal has worked I guess...will be glad to not keep having to top up water before every journey ( my repair was failing badly unfortunately).
I have now a slight dilemma.. do I keep the car if it's running ok now? I have been toying with the idea of a Japanese import 850 r which I have first refusal on..low miles and not bad price... would mean a small loan but they aren't going to be around forever and you only live once...so as much as I have become attached to the 960 I am tempted to trade it in( can't afford to run both) I will see if the coolant problem has been solved and have a think.......
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 22:44   #54
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Fingers crossed for you Chris!

This JDM 850R - how long has it been in the country? I've been hearing quite a lot on another forum about a couple of recent JDM imports that have been a nightmare to source parts for, weren't serviced as promised by the importers and so on. The main query is, has it been here long enough for these teething troubles to be sorted or will you be buying another cartload of trouble?

Sometimes the devil you know is better, even if it's not such an apparently straightforward proposition!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 05:09   #55
Chris50

The 850 r is a recent import from a garage that has a good reputation and although they don't usually import Volvo's they have lots of import experience apparently.
They are getting the clocks changed and UK plates so I have some time to think.They are saying full service history and 42k genuine mileage.I was under the impression parts were not an issue so that's got me thinking now....also it's over 2 hrs away so not ideal......🤔
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 12:59   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I might be over-cautious here, on another forum i'm on someone recently imported a Honda Elysion (Shuttle but not as we know it) and while the parts are apparently shared with other Accord/Shuttle/Odyssey models, it turns out there are some detail differences, the air filter for example is unique to the Elysion.

As it's a JDM Honda model and rarely found anywhere else, you might be forgiven for thinking that is a case in point merely to alarm you. However, when i'm trawling for Rover 800 parts, either for myself or others on the Rover forum, i constantly see "not Japan" then below it is a separate listing for the JDM spec part.

On the upside, there are probably a lot of parts in Sweden for any JDM spec alternative parts that Volvo may have fitted to the 850R so you should, in theory at least, be alright.

Also worth checking the insurance situation, some insurers will run a mile as soon as you mention the word "import", others are absolutely fine about it.

As a general thing, the Elysion owner bought it with full service history but is now finding a lot of things weren't done or haven't been done to the right spec.

With all that in mind, i would be inclined to keep the 960 if the leaks are finally sorted, run it, service it as and when required and start a "slush-fund" in case the engine ever decides to revert to being a huge kettle!

That way you could decide at the time whether to have a replacement engine fitted/fit it yourself or buy a replacement 960 and use this one for spares or maybe another option.

Going down the 850R route, although nice could have its pitfalls - that said it could also be the best decision you ever made. It's a gamble. I'm not a gambler as such but if i have to take a gamble with a car, i try to weigh the odds in my favour.

In your case, weighing the odds in your favour would probably mean keeping the 960 - after all, you've already bought it, spent money fixing it and have (hopefully!) fixed it now.
Unless of course you can sell the 960 for more than you paid for it and the cost of repairs to give you a bigger deposit on the 850R, then you're pretty much back to square one and the gamble begins again!

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:52   #57
Chris50

Thanks for your input Dave...I'm inclined to agree with you and I would definitely be out of pocket on the 960.
I spoke to a chap who runs a garage in Haselmere today who is very knowledgeable about the 850r and he recommended that I get an AA inspection done on it if I go that route.
I think I will see if the 960 is cured and I'm leaning towards keeping it at the moment.... decisions, decisions
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 21:42   #58
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The other thing to remember Chris is the 960 was more "popular" than the 850R so if and when you do need spares, secondhand ones will carry a premium (even things like lights etc, simply because it came off an "R" despite the fact it's the same as the rest of the 850 range! Scrapyards are like that sadly ) especially those unique to the "R" and worse still if it's a common fault.

The 960 sold in larger numbers and shares a lot of suspension parts with the 940 and even some 7xx models so parts are relatively plentiful, both new and secondhand. That said, some parts are the proverbial needle in the haystack for all of the above.

First, you need to know whether you're now leak-free on the 960, if not then it may all be academic.

Old Sep 27th, 2018, 23:27   #59
Chris50

Well ,I got my 960 back from garage yesterday...and I'm pleased to report that I have covered over 100 miles so far and it seems fine.
Coolant level hasn't dropped and drives lovely ( note to self....try to resist sport mode- very thirsty when driven hard).
I have decided to keep the car as it owes me a few quid and can honestly say I really enjoy driving it.
I've had a lot of cars over past 30 yrs but definitely feel king of the road in this old boxy wagon.
In the meantime I will start saving incase things go pear shaped and haven't completely discounted idea of an 850R.
Thanks to everyone for the advice I got when I needed it.
Friendly and knowledgeable members really helped me with my issues and decisions.
Cheers,
Chris
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 03:10   #60
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I am very pleased for you. I've lost track but I don't think there was anything hugely wrong found so far in sorting out the coolant loss? That's great.

I guess, and I can only guess, that either the problem developed after the previous owner sold the car, or, perhaps they knew there was a niggling coolant loss and couldn't trace it. So far as heater hoses are concerned, they are often less than easily visible or accessible on some engines. If so you've done the graft and can reap the benefits. And we'll never know how competently the pressure testing was done.

Saving in case of a serious underlying problem sounds like a plan. There have been hints of people worrying that there might be something serious. Possibly something addressed by that additive you used.

Best case scenario you end up with a good ongoing car, and some savings. Cushti!
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote