Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Puddle Lights/HomeSafe Lights

Views : 756

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2023, 22:07   #1
Clive12

Default Puddle Lights/HomeSafe Lights

Hi

Can anyone help me, I've only had the car 5 days so I'm very much trying to find out how thing work, it has a TFT digital instrument display.

It's a V70 SE LUX 2014 diesel estate and the nearside mirror directional indicator is not working, so I stripped the mirror down ready to fit a replacement indicator as the existing one is shot, which is the state it's in at the moment.

On stripping down, I noticed the car has puddle lights but they are not coming on, neither do the home safe lights come on.

I haven't been into MY CAR so I'm uncertain if they have been deactivated in the settings or indeed if they can be deactivated anyway?

Can someone tell me how I can actuate these, I've read some threads which talk about pressing the yellow key on the key fob, there is no yellow key on mine.
It's a 6 button fob but there's no yellow button.

If anyone has put brighter bulbs in the puddle lights without any issues, I'd really appreciate it if they could put a link of what they bought.

Thanks again to anyone who can help

Clive
Clive12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:54   #2
simboc2004
SimboC2004

On my 2011 car it's the button on the fob that looks like a lit bulb that puts on the puddle lights (together with front and rear side lights). All bulbs updated to LEDs now and working really well for over a year. I have seen pre-shaped LED puddle lights on Ebay. Not tried them, but would be easy to do. I can't remember what bulbs I fitted to mine - except all are 4000/4300K colour temp - I'll have a look in a bit. I tend to only use premium bulbs from Ring or Osram as they seem to be more long lasting.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 15:13   #3
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I know this isn't going to help anyone but I just needed to admit that after 8 years of XC70 ownership, I discovered that I have puddle lights. I thought the fob operation button with a picture of a light bulb just turned on the amber side lights and I didn't see why I needed to do that but in fact it turns on the puddle lights under the wing mirrors and lights the amber lights to let you know that you have operated the feature. Using the button toggles the puddle lights on and off. I'm always discovering something new about the XC70 but this must be a record time elapse - 8 years!
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 18:50   #4
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I know this isn't going to help anyone but I just needed to admit that after 8 years of XC70 ownership, I discovered that I have puddle lights. I thought the fob operation button with a picture of a light bulb just turned on the amber side lights and I didn't see why I needed to do that but in fact it turns on the puddle lights under the wing mirrors and lights the amber lights to let you know that you have operated the feature. Using the button toggles the puddle lights on and off. I'm always discovering something new about the XC70 but this must be a record time elapse - 8 years!
Think mine could've easily run to 8 years without knowing had I not seen this !LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreenThing For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 18:55   #5
Clive12

Hi Guys

Thank you both for your replies,

Tatsfield you said you have owned your car for 8 years and still discovering new things about it.
To be honest I’m from the era when starting handles, contact breaker points and turning the distributer to advance or retard in ignition timing was all the rage and I’ve just sold a car which was a 2000 reg so I’m well behind all this high tec stuff and this Volvo I’ve just bought has got me lost.

I’ve tried pressing the button on both key fobs with the light bulb symbol on and they have done absolutely nothing, incidentally I’ve put new batteries in both fobs.

Whist I was waiting for someone on the forum to answer, I decided to see if there was anything in the MY CAR settings and when I did manage to muddle my way through to “Light Settings”, for some unknown reason it was greyed out ie I can’t get into that menu.

Simboc2004

Thanks for letting me know about the bulbs I’m just hoping I don’t buy the wrong size, that’s if I ever get the Puddle Lights/Home Safe Lights to work, perhaps it would be easier just to sling a pair of wellies in the car .

If either of you or anyone else who reads this thread has any suggestions please don’t hesitate to let me know.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 16:35   #6
ShadeTek
Premier Member

This might be of interest?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330587

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 22:22   #7
Clive12

Ok Guys

I think I’ve finally managed to muddle my way through it.

The reason the puddle lights were not coming on is because that facility was switch off and I’ve also found out why the Light Settings function on the menu was greyed out.
So, if it helps anyone else this is the sequence of what I did to activate them on my V70.

Start the engine.

Press the My Car button on the centre console.

Turn the outer ring on the right upper knob on the centre console until Settings is highlighted, then press the Ok/Menu button which is on the same knob.

With Car Settings now highlighted press the Ok/Menu button again.

Turn the outer ring on the upper right knob on the centre console and select Light Settings, NOTE! it will be greyed out unless the engine is running and will not allow you to move onto the next menu and if you start the car at this point, I found it took me back to the start so I ended up having to input everything all over again.

Once into the menu scroll to either Approach Light Duration or Home Safe Light Duration, whichever one you choose the time limit can then be changed or you can turn off whichever facility you don’t want.

Hope this will help someone
The Following User Says Thank You to Clive12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 22:25   #8
Clive12

ShadeTex

Thank you for the link, now that Iv'e seen the puddle lights in action, I will defiantly be looking for some bulbs a little brighter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clive12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 21:01   #9
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Here's my car with puddle lights on - all interior, side light and puddle light bulbs are Ring LEDs. My phone does make it look a bit brighter than it actually is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9685.jpg (355.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9686.jpg (364.8 KB, 10 views)

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote