Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B5 vs D5 - noticeable differences?!

Views : 1231

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2024, 08:08   #1
thisisbeaker

Default B5 vs D5 - noticeable differences?!

After toying with the idea of changing our previous XC90 for a Q7 until we realised a) the XC90 already ticks all the boxes for us and b) insurance quotes for the Q7 were insane, yesterday I picked up our new XC90 (Bells in Bedford were very good btw). Previous R-Design, with 82k miles, was due new timing belt this year, new tyres all round, boot struts needed replacing (parts alone quoted at about £900!) and bonnet release cable had become detached from the handle, which having tried and failed with a DIY fix, was probably another few hundred to fix (dealer was aware of all of this!). And I'd already fixed a rear door myself that wasn't opening from inside or outside (thanks Google and YouTube!). So we concluded it was time to change

New one has got the B5 (diesel) engine and I'm curious about other's experiences versus a D5. It *seemed* smoother on the run down the A1 after collecting it, but that could just be a newness thing? A neighbour has got a V60 with a B3 engine and he's fairly sceptical about the mild hybrid saying he doesn't feel any difference!

Thanks for reading:-)

Previously: XC90 MY16 D5 R-Design, Bursting Blue, Winter/Xenium/BLIS
thisisbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 19:26   #2
volvocamper
Master Member

I went from a 2018 XC90 D5 to a 2022 xc90 B5 (diesel), ironically from Bells although the Northampton branch.
Main difference is the start-stop, this now works via the 48v generator as I understand it which gives the car a shove when accelerating and is noiseless - the car just goes, no starter involved like the old D5 (and no Powerpulse hose issues either). I had the Polestar upgrade on my 22 car from new so difficult to compare acceleration etc but both cars v good. If anything I think the D5 was a quieter engine marginally.
The drive mode selector behind gear selector has been omitted on newer cars (now on the screen) but to my mind this is a retrograde step - I didnt use it often but was very convenient if I did need it, not so now.
There are some money saving areas on the new car such as the central armrest cover and surrounding trim was leather on the 18 car and now vinyl covered, as is the steering wheel and the gear selector.
Obviously the operating system has changed on yours from Sensus to Google, mine were both Sensus. There is for and against according to reports on here.
Main difference is seat comfort, my 22 car is far, far more comfortable than the 18 car.
MPG seems similar on both cars although the new car ‘feels’ heavier.
I am old school and tow a 2000kg caravan so assumed I needed the diesel car, I wonder if petrol would have been a better option buy hey ho, I like it.

Hope you like the new car as much (more!) than the old one. Like you I looked hard at Q7 in 2018 before the first XC90 and while i liked the idea of the v6 engine, I just didnt like the Audi as much as the Volvo. The Audi just seemed to not look quite right from some angles - not something i felt about the Volvo. In 2021 when selecting current car i didnt even look at anything else just went straight back for another XC90.

Last edited by volvocamper; Feb 20th, 2024 at 19:28.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 08:52   #3
watto64

This is our first volve, a 2021 XC90 B5D and owned it since July 2022. Never having driven a D5 but owned and driven other makes of Diesel I would say the B5D is more than adequate for our needs which include towing a 2000kg win axle caravan.

We regularly get 50+ mpg on regular steady motorway runs when not towing and as enough midrange torque to keep up with traffic.

The hybrid stuff with the integrated starter motor generator makes for very smooth almost seamless top start driving and a strange sensation as the engine cuts out just before coming to a halt.

I would add that unlike previous diesels we have had the engine seems quieter when cold and becomes more noticeable when hot but no more than the usual diesel rattle..
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watto64 For This Useful Post: