Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a 2011 S40, any recommendations?

Views : 1319

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2018, 11:29   #1
AndrasL

Default Just bought a 2011 S40, any recommendations?

Hello dear community!

I just bought a 2011 S40 with D3 engine and automatic transmission, Kinetic trim level and 136k km.

I would like to ask recommendations on what service steps I should take and what recommended upgrades/changes are?

I am buying from a Ford dealer and they will make the following services:
  • general yearly service (they services this car for the last few years)
  • brake pads, disks
  • all four shock dempeners
  • new battery
  • transmission fluid flush
  • brake fluid flush

Note: I also posted this question on a sister forum of this, with no reply.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 12:00   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasL View Post
Hello dear community!

Note: I also posted this question on a sister forum of this, with no reply.
Thats because our US friends from SS dont know what "D3" is :P SS forum is mainly for T5 and 2.4i's and some general info. Here you have better chance to get diesel-specific answers.

All the services dealership will do for you are essential and fact you will have them done takes 99% of your worries for a start - thats good. Cant advise you much about diesel - related maintenence, but from general rule of thumb I will point out few things:
- find out when the T-belt was changed. If never or you dont know - change it immediately
- check condition of tyres, just for your peace of mind
- if car has sunroof - make sure you research "sunroof drain clog" problem on either of forums and act immediately
- get yourself a 15e OBDII reader from ebay/amazon. Hopefully you wont need it, but knowing our P1 cars, you may at some point - will realy come handy and may save you a tons of money.

Get familiar with a car after few days and post any further questions - if you are not familiar with P1 platform you may have some.
Also post a picture - otherwise its a Honda :P
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 13:27   #3
AndrasL

Hello!

Thanks for the reply, I did not realize that the other forum is more specific to some models. In this case I will probalby lurk around here much more.

It has kumho wintercraft wp71 tires (1 or 2 years old), which I plan to replace with some Michelin Alpin 6s. Quick question here, is the 91 weight index enough or should I get the 94 ones? Once spring comes I will get some Michelin summer tyres (yes, I trust them a lot).

I asked the service to check the timing belt and give me a quota if it was not changed. I plan to use this car for a long time, so I want it to be real reliable, I won't skip on this repair, if it is needed.

About the ODBII reader, I actually bought that volvo-specific one from ebay. Not sure if I want to use it though or just stick with my old normal reader (don't know if it is safe).

I will post some pictures once I have the car, depending on how long it takes for them to get all the service done. I did not take any when I purchased it because I did not think abou it, besides, it was dirty from rain.

Oh yea, are Volvo cars inheretly male?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 13:34   #4
iainmd

I'd go for 94 load rating. OEM tyres are 93.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 18:17   #5
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Hello!

Thanks for the reply, I did not realize that the other forum is more specific to some models. In this case I will probalby lurk around here much more.

...)
its more specific as they simply only had 5-pot petrols only sold there hence lack of information on diesels there.

If you got yourself VIda+Dice - you are prepared for almost everything, well done !
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 10:19   #6
AndrasL

Hello!

It took a while, but I am back. I just got the car last friday. There is still lot of maintneance work to do, but I have a mechanic friend, who will help me with those.

Anyway, I was asked for a picture, so here it is.

I am happy with this car. The ride is really comfortable, with little noise and the seat too is great.

There is something I could not figure out: how do I select the trip odometer and how do I reset it? I checked the manual, but can't find it either.

Another question is about the trunk. On pictures (and even in the manual) the trunk has a lowered place for the spare wheel. In mine the spare wheel mounting point is flush with the trunk floor. This results in the trunk floor to be flush with the load lip when the wheel is in. Is this normal for my engine (D3) or can I somehow remove that cover to make the trunk deeper?
I will attach a picture of my trunk and one from the manual. I hope my question is clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181205_082902.jpg (135.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg pg172.jpg (52.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20181205_082813.jpg (260.7 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by AndrasL; Dec 5th, 2018 at 10:21.
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 11:23   #7
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
I will attach a picture of my trunk and one from the manual. I hope my question is clear.
You are actually missing part of the boot floor. There should be a styrofoam-type of mould where wheel+jack goes, and just on TOP of that there is a boot floor that you seem to dont have. Its carpeted and makes a perfectly even floor, also raises up to expose the spare wheel etc.
Was your car sold with as-is, metal boot floor and nothing else?

trip odometer - on my pre-fl I have 2 pins on the dash, one for odometer change/reset other for clock. On your FL model, clock is on waterfall so I suspect you either have 1 pin on dash for ODO (press& hold to reset if its there) or somewhere on the indicator stalk possibly...

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Dec 5th, 2018 at 11:25.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 11:27   #8
AndrasL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
You are actually missing part of the boot floor. There should be a styrofoam-type of mould where wheel+jack goes, and just on TOP of that there is a boot floor that you seem to dont have. Its carpeted and makes a perfectly even floor, also raises up to expose the spare wheel etc.
Was your car sold with as-is, metal boot floor and nothing else?
Don't worry, I have those parts. There are actually two layers of styrofoam I have removed. I was deep-cleaning the boot, which is why I took them out. However, with the lower styrofoam in place, my boot still looks different from the picture in the manual.

If I have both layers of styrofoam in there, the boot is flush with the load lip. However on many pictures of this model, it is not. Maybe they don't have spare wheel?
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 13:11   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

some only came with a "space saver" wheel, a skinny thing compared to the road wheels
Others came with a 12v tyre inflating pump and a can of "goo" to seal holes,,

the boot carpet Should be a flush level surface
Old Dec 5th, 2018, 14:25   #10
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Don't worry, I have those parts. There are actually two layers of styrofoam I have removed. I was deep-cleaning the boot, which is why I took them out. However, with the lower styrofoam in place, my boot still looks different from the picture in the manual.

If I have both layers of styrofoam in there, the boot is flush with the load lip. However on many pictures of this model, it is not. Maybe they don't have spare wheel?
Oh ok, I m isunderstood you then. Not sure what u mean, though, maybe if you take pic with boot floor in it I would get it.
but as Andy said, there were 2 options - with wheel or without, also high-floor and low-floor but that was only for AWD models. Not sure if first option was also 2-variants or not.