Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Long Term Storage

Views : 912

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2019, 17:11   #1
AlexO

Default Long Term Storage

Chaps,

I was wondering if anyone's got any ideas or information about long term car storage in the South of the UK, say anywhere between Exeter/Bristol/Oxford/London? Basically I'm almost in a position to get one of these fancy "45-to-the-gallon", "modern", post-2000 cars that apparently wont eat my wallet in fuel costs but I really, really want to hang on to the 240 for the future. I know well-kept mint condition cars are going up in price but mine was more functionally than aesthetically gifted when it passed in to my ownership and so probably isn't worth much to sell, plus I'd hate for it to go to the bangers -shudder-. I don't have access to a big shed or a farm or a garage or any kind of parent's house so I'm looking for somewhere I can store my 240 that's secure, and preferably dry, until I've got the time and space to get it back up to the standard/give it the big turbo it deserves. I'm not made of money but I'd be willing to pay monthly or yearly if required.

If anyone knows or has used anywhere that they can recommend then I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Alex
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 10:45   #2
AlexO

Guess I'm the only one facing this problem.

Thanks guys!
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:35   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

If you have a look at the advertising companies in various classic car magazines then they generally have company’s list- you may find one?
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:19   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexO View Post
Guess I'm the only one facing this problem.

Thanks guys!
What's with the sarcastic post?
I'm sure you're not the only one but your question isn't 200 series specific so why post in the technical section?

You'd get a wider audience with a more specific title in the General Section or even the lounge.
You want someone with knowledge of storage locations in a particular region of the country not a 200 series owner per se.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 21:12   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Alex, I see the issue very clearly. Trying to balance things that are not directly comparable, and the mix includes the great unknown that is the future. What does the future hold for the value of 240s? If you part with it will a replacement cost an arm and a leg? If you store it will it deteriorate? When might you fit that turbo? And indeed all those questions.

There are two definite positives to keeping the car if you can. It is a car that you know, not someone else's problems bought by you in the future. And. It is a 240 !!!

By the way, could you have two cars? Would the 240 be cheap to keep if if is second/classic on an insurance policy? Running two cars might be cheaper than well ventilated secure storage. And. Every so often someone has an interesting time
re-commissioning a stored car.

Just my three farthings worth.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 15th, 2019 at 21:17.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 10:14   #6
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
What's with the sarcastic post?
I'm sure you're not the only one but your question isn't 200 series specific so why post in the technical section?

You'd get a wider audience with a more specific title in the General Section or even the lounge.
You want someone with knowledge of storage locations in a particular region of the country not a 200 series owner per se.
Apologies, this certainly wasn't supposed to come across as sarcastic. I posted in the 200 series technical forum because I find that people here tend to be slightly more discerning when it comes to sensitive subjects like car storage. You make a very good point though so I'll look more widely on the topic in the future.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 10:16   #7
AlexO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Alex, I see the issue very clearly. Trying to balance things that are not directly comparable, and the mix includes the great unknown that is the future. What does the future hold for the value of 240s? If you part with it will a replacement cost an arm and a leg? If you store it will it deteriorate? When might you fit that turbo? And indeed all those questions.

There are two definite positives to keeping the car if you can. It is a car that you know, not someone else's problems bought by you in the future. And. It is a 240 !!!

By the way, could you have two cars? Would the 240 be cheap to keep if if is second/classic on an insurance policy? Running two cars might be cheaper than well ventilated secure storage. And. Every so often someone has an interesting time
re-commissioning a stored car.

Just my three farthings worth.

Another good point Stephen! If I had a drive then, really, this would be a no-brainer. On a 5K miles a year classic policy the car wouldn't cost me anything to keep and I'd still get to enjoy the time I spend keeping the car going. My problem is that I'm in a tiny two-up-two-down in Portsmouth with no road space at all and nowhere to store spares. It's a dilemna. On the point of other people's problems though I'm actually looking at taking on a car from another forum member who's documented their work well and has already done all of the difficult jobs that I wanted to avoid so hopefully, fingers crossed, I wouldn't be taking on someone else's problems.

Thanks for the input chaps, I'll cast my net a little wider.

Cheers,

Alex
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 23:22   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Alex. At the moment I'm having a positive time in life, maybe brief. But if it helps, I might be able to store some of my Scorpius for you. Or. Your possible purchase of a different 240 might not need Scorpius. Or have I totally misunderstood up a gum tree?

Anyway. You have to sort out what to do with your 240. So this is a 240 thread. Please. Keep this 240 thread updated.

Oh. And utter nosiness. By me. What are you doing with your trailer?

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 21:26   #9
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.carcoon.com/

Any use?
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote