Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 R design seats uncomfy

Views : 9150

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:45   #1
tricky13

Default XC60 R design seats uncomfy

had mine about 3 months now - anyone else find the seats fairly uncomfortable?
the seat back seems to arch forwards near the top meaning you kinda sit hunched over and eventually gets a bit sore
and the knee extenders (is that the right name?) when used leaves a big gap that feels like it has quite a hard ridge?
wish id got the standard seats now
tricky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 10:52   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Even with standard seats it took me months of adjusting to find a comfortable position, I was getting neck pains, I had to recline my backrest really far back, it looks too far back when not sat in it but its the best position for me, then adjust the front and back seat base height. I do find that the seat padding in the middle of my back is still not quite right on longer journeys.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 3rd, 2018 at 10:59.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 11:10   #3
MaDProFF
Master Member

I do not find the seats in my XC60 R Design Pro to bad, although not really done many really long long journeys, most are no more than 90 minutes at one go. There is a lot of different adjustments to play with.

The Leg Extenders I agree are odd, not a problem the gap does catch certain tyres of trousers, or sitting on the edge, but I just move.

One thing I do know as I get older sitting in one position for periods of time does make me ache a little more than it used to, but I tend to move around every so often while driving, just changing seat position a little helps.

I think the one thing I am more disappointed in not knowing, I thought the Seats were all Leather on R design, and not this nubuck or what ever it is called. mostly because of stains.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 13:27   #4
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky13 View Post
had mine about 3 months now - anyone else find the seats fairly uncomfortable?
the seat back seems to arch forwards near the top meaning you kinda sit hunched over and eventually gets a bit sore
and the knee extenders (is that the right name?) when used leaves a big gap that feels like it has quite a hard ridge?
wish id got the standard seats now

I find a lot of seats uncomfortable and volvo are the only ones that never bothered me short or long drives. Even my momentum which is way too small for me at 6’2” and is more suited for me 5’ missus.
The first complaint sounds like the seat back is too uptight relative to the base. That wil pish you up. The second sounds like your base front is too high, make base a bit flatter to distribute your pressure more evenly back to front on the legs. That may help with first issue too. It is possible that you have issues with range of adjustments on that particular seat. Check passenger seat - if it’s better that’s a proof; of not it’s not proof of negative as it could also be faulty. Go to dealer and try another r design if you definitely cannot find a comfortable position. If no luck there then you are probably not compatible with volvo seats and likely the first.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 16:39   #5
T4ylor

I do fairly high mileage (over 3300 in 2.5 weeks) and I feel your pain (no pun intended 😁&#128513. For me it’s my lower back and no matter where the seat is it still hurts. I am hoping I can adjust to the seats other wise it will be a long painful relationship.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 18:23   #6
WhatNext?

3 months in, I would have expected you to "acclimatise" to it. Initially everything feels a bit odd.

The only car that I couldn't get a comfy driving position was the new X3 which I test drove straight after the XC60.

No prizes for guessing which one I bought

The best seats? ... my well used second hand Peugeot 406 Executive

Last edited by WhatNext?; Oct 3rd, 2018 at 18:26.
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 21:22   #7
Tresco85

We have had our Inscription Pro nearly a year now and I know what you mean, the back of the seats are fine it's the seat base we have trouble with and the hard bar where the seats extend. We have complained to Volvo and the dealers who just say there is nothing wrong with the seats and the only thing we can do is buy a new Momentum with the basic seats which seem a better seat. After spending £50,000 I wasn't prepared to spend another £5,000 to buy another car and spec it up to ours. We have tried 1 seat cover which is a bit better but can still feel the ridge and are at the moment are trying another gel cushion to see if that helps.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 09:09   #8
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
I find a lot of seats uncomfortable and volvo are the only ones that never bothered me short or long drives. Even my momentum which is way too small for me at 6’2” and is more suited for me 5’ missus.
The first complaint sounds like the seat back is too uptight relative to the base. That wil pish you up. The second sounds like your base front is too high, make base a bit flatter to distribute your pressure more evenly back to front on the legs. That may help with first issue too. It is possible that you have issues with range of adjustments on that particular seat. Check passenger seat - if it’s better that’s a proof; of not it’s not proof of negative as it could also be faulty. Go to dealer and try another r design if you definitely cannot find a comfortable position. If no luck there then you are probably not compatible with volvo seats and likely the first.
Second this. It took me A LOT of adjustment and re-adjustment to finally get that perfect setting. Year in now and I find the RD seats extremely comfortable (and I frequently drive long distances- just in August I've done a 2000+ km trip in 2 days..) Not as soft as my old V60 - but a perfect match between soft and firm support.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 11:57   #9
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ylor View Post
I do fairly high mileage (over 3300 in 2.5 weeks) and I feel your pain (no pun intended 😁&#128513. For me it’s my lower back and no matter where the seat is it still hurts. I am hoping I can adjust to the seats other wise it will be a long painful relationship.
How good are you at stretching your hamstrings? Do two weeks of every day mhamstring stretches. I find no amount of props ever helps lower back pain. The only way to do it is fix it at source. most common cause for sitting jobs is shortened or weak hamstrings resulting in misaligned pelvis even if you are sporty and fit. Can actually be worse as stronger quads from running or cycling can be creating even more imbalance with weak hamstrings.

If you are a chronic case and can’t stretch them out go for a couple of sessions of sports massage and ask them to loosen hamstrings and hips - most of them supplement with needle therapy so check whoever you find that they do that as it allows them to loosen muscles really deep.

Of course you can pay tons of money for physio but what I said would work for most people and is a lot cheaper.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 11:59   #10
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
We have had our Inscription Pro nearly a year now and I know what you mean, the back of the seats are fine it's the seat base we have trouble with and the hard bar where the seats extend. We have complained to Volvo and the dealers who just say there is nothing wrong with the seats and the only thing we can do is buy a new Momentum with the basic seats which seem a better seat. After spending £50,000 I wasn't prepared to spend another £5,000 to buy another car and spec it up to ours. We have tried 1 seat cover which is a bit better but can still feel the ridge and are at the moment are trying another gel cushion to see if that helps.
Inscription has a known issue with hard bar to improve leather wear but I thought r design did not have it. OP has a problem with the gap. It sounds like adjustments to me but it could really be that range is not sufficient to satisfy.