Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lights On with Unlock?

Views : 4880

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 18:49   #1
ShamusUK

Default Lights On with Unlock?

Hi,

Quick question....

At night time when I press the Unlock button, are my headlights and rear lights supposed to come on until I open the driver's door? My last few cars (all with auto-lights) used to do this. Seems strange the Volvo does not do this.

Also, is there some art to using the follow-me-home lights? The setting is on in MyCar settings. I switch off the engine. Open the door. Quick pull of the light lever toward me. And nothing happens....

Thanks.
ex: 2016 Volvo D3 SE Lux Nav Auto
ex: 2013 BMW 320i Luxury Auto
ShamusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 19:03   #2
Rex65

I've no need to use the function but I believe you need to press the button on the fob to turn them on.
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 22:33   #3
afeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamusUK View Post
Hi,

Quick question....

At night time when I press the Unlock button, are my headlights and rear lights supposed to come on until I open the driver's door? My last few cars (all with auto-lights) used to do this. Seems strange the Volvo does not do this.

Also, is there some art to using the follow-me-home lights? The setting is on in MyCar settings. I switch off the engine. Open the door. Quick pull of the light lever toward me. And nothing happens....

Thanks.
Only works with an extra push on the light button on your remote.
I personally find this strange that Volvo didn't in cooperate this from factory.

Is there any way to have this function somehow? Maybe some hack or so?
afeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 11:25   #4
Spike56
Master Member

Surely if the lighting came on when the doors unlock, you would be unable to sit, work or generally have the car unlocked without the fear of draining the battery?
If you just want the light on, on approach, then as stated.... Button on the key.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 12:04   #5
ShamusUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Surely if the lighting came on when the doors unlock, you would be unable to sit, work or generally have the car unlocked without the fear of draining the battery?
If you just want the light on, on approach, then as stated.... Button on the key.
The unlock lights would only stay on for a designated number of seconds (as happens with the light button on the fob).

Anyway, i'll have to remember to use the button on the fob.

I wonder if there is an App for Volvos (like Bimmercode for BMWs) which lets you over-ride settings, and go above and beyond MyCar settings? I guess there was VIDA/DICE, but nothing for the post-2014 models?

I actually bought Bimmercode (£50 for App and Dongle) - it was extremely useful. To be fair, there's not much i'd change on the Volvo.... just the lights on unlock, and increase the seat heater temps, and set a default radio volume on startup.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShamusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 14:02   #6
Spike56
Master Member

I agree with you. If you can have the whole follow me home lighting thing it would make sense to link it to the unlock sequence. And second the seats heater!

Is there something you can do with a canbus function extender? Might be a bit overkill for just one function, but if you could change several at the same time it might be worth the money...
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 22:42   #7
Roland_F

What durations are set for your Approach light and Home Safe light? If they are set to zero (and I recall correctly), then neither will work, giving the appearance of something broken.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 00:41   #8
ShamusUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_F View Post
What durations are set for your Approach light and Home Safe light? If they are set to zero (and I recall correctly), then neither will work, giving the appearance of something broken.
Both settings are set to 30 seconds. The home-approach lighting does not work when i pull the wiper stalk and exit the car. Maybe i'm missing something? Are you supposed to open the door first? I've tried everything, but can't get it to work.

Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 08:10   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The CFE module provides these extra functions
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 13:20   #10
Spike56
Master Member

Home safe..... Stop, switch off engine, remove key, pull back on the mainbeam stalk and the lights should come on. They can be altered in the 'my car' menu if you have it.

My car..settings..car settings..light settings..approach (!) light duration. CAN BE off (!) 30s, 60s, 90s.

The same can be found for Home Safe.

At least for my S60.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post: