Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential owner questions

Views : 1802

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 16:50   #21
candell

Thanks Terry, it does seem like Volvo allow much more as configurable options in the car as opposed to VAG who hide many features for the UK market, forcing people down the ODB route.

The newer A4's don't let you tether, forcing you to buy a sim but I have an unlimited data contract so once I get in the car, the family and the car leech from it lol. Makes sense to use what I already pay for.
candell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 19:01   #22
TimCarter

Default Check the seat

As well as the technical Q&A going on here, and I too am impressed with what my car can do, make sure you test drive the same model you are thinking of purchasing for a good hour first. I didn't and when I collected the car I quickly realised I had a problem with the seat pad.

There is, apparently, a strengthen wire inside it and on my Inscription seat, this the one with the extending thigh support, it lays right across the very top of my legs and presses right on my sit bones. Discomfort at best, pain quite often. I have reported this to Volvo and had hours of discussions with them, and the car in the garage for 6 weeks, but they can't, or won't sort it out. These forums have others with the same experience.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 08:59   #23
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by candell View Post
It really annoys me how Audi 'facelift' a car and don't tell their customers that a facelift is imminent, effectively letting them buy an old shape car.
For me that't the tip of the iceberg. Was fairly shocked with the 2015 scandal but even before that I started to realize that Audi was not giving a rat's f%"k to it's customers. I started to had problems with my Audi dealership back in 2014 due to the quality of the maintenance. When the scandal broke out, I was already really pi&&ed with the brand and I decided back then that my next car wont be from the VW group.

On top of that, if you compare the quality of materials and construction of entry level cars (A3, A4, Q3, Q5) post 2012, it's a huge letdown comparing them to prior 2012 models. I sold my 9 year old Audi and it looked like brand new inside. By that same time, I rented a 2 year old Audi similar to mine, and it looked like it had >15 years of usage. That car was an utter disgrace and it reminded my the quality from the Scodas back in 2000.
Their mindset now is to sell the brand not quality.
I had a look around to other brands like Mercedes, Jaguar, Range Rover, etc (excluding BMW because i dont like the cars) and all of them were a bit behind in terms of the whole package if you compare it to Volvo.

Mercedes: very old infotainment system and aged car models
Jaguar: also issues with the infotainment system and the active security features were a letdown although they are very nice cars
Range Rover: the Velar is interesting but I did a spec and it was super expensive

So I arrived to Volvo.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 10:37   #24
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Maps are downloaded from the volvo support web site at 49 gb on to a 64 gb USB stick, then into the car , the car bit takes just under an hour , It could be a bit pricey to use your mobile Data ! I believe the traffic does come from Elsewhere Via the SIM or your tethered phone .
Maps OTA are much smaller and you do not need to update all regions at once, only those you need.
You can also download just regions to USB in order to save data. But the update process in the car is than a bit quirky as it does not give proper back feed during the update. (But it works.)