Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pain in the seat pad!

Views : 11513

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 18:46   #11
TimCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky13 View Post
have a r-design xc60 and when i first got it i extended the leg support cushions - and yep the bar dug into my lower thighs. tried and tried to put up with it but i coudlnt anymore so just shut the extension and its been fine ever since. a shame its designed so poorly
Hi, the bar doesn't dig into my thighs, more the sit bones right at the top of my thighs. Basically what I sit on. After an hour out in the car today my backside is still sore. Interestingly, I saw yesterday that all Momentum models are now getting the extending versions of the seats. I tried one, just the same. Volvo is surely going to hear a lot more about this problem I think.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimCarter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 12:56   #12
Twickers83

Hi, I am looking at getting a used XC60 with those seats and I have very much felt this bar when test driving it. I also rented one and felt the same. I wonder if now you've had more time in the car you have found that using cushions helps at all? Thanks for your help.
Twickers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 13:30   #13
blobfish

Default Looks not everything...

We run a 2008 Xc90 (D5 SE 160k miles) and 2019 Xc90 D (R Design 7K miles)
Sad, but the 2008 seats are more comfortable on long trip.
R Design seat look fantastic and I also had the extending seat pad on max for a week, before winding them back in fir ever! (But not due to this bar issue)
blobfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 14:31   #14
gordonfleming

Default R design

I have a v90 r design and have the same issue to the point my legs get numb after half an hour.The only way i can stop it is to have extension fully retracted which makes my seat feel to small.this is my fourth volvo and can honestly say these seats are a big dissapointment.They look great tho.
gordonfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 16:47   #15
wheelnut

I can’t get comfortable in my V90 R Design either.
Initially the bar across the seat was uncomfortable until I read on here that it was more comfortable without the front extension extended.
That certainly helps, but I find that after an hour or so driving, I get a sciatica type pain down my right leg.
Stupidly (having had full electric seats in my previous V70) I hadn’t spotted the small pump action lever near the transmission tunnel which adjusts the seat base angle. Having been told about that, I am still experimenting with different angles and combinations to find the best position.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 16:56   #16
Tresco85

Could all the people on here who find the problem with the seats complain to Volvo as Tim and myself are not getting anywhere with Volvo over this problem.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 18:32   #17
gordonfleming

I have the fully electric driver seat and cant see the aformentioned pump beside trans tunnel.I can understand people using gel cushions ect but it sticks in my craw that i should have to do this in a 40 plus grand car.this is realy becoming an issue for me now as i feel its making my 55 year old back stiff all the time
gordonfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 22:35   #18
wheelnut

This lever to adjust the seat base angle is only on the manual seat versions. On the fully electric seats, the switch for the base can be lifted either at the front or the rear to raise the appropriate end of the cushion.
On the manual seats, the seat height switch is a simple up or down (no angle). That is the adjustment done by the pump action lever near the transmission tunnel.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelnut For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 08:05   #19
Crockers
Premier Member

I have to admit, that with this being my 4th Volvo these seats are by far the best.............looking but by far the worst for comfort. I wouldnt buy another with these seats.

I too have to fully retract the extension for a modicum of comfort. Being 6ft 1 that makes the seat feel too small. When I drive my Golf GTi I ask myself . "WTF are Volvo playing at. These golf seats are far better"

A typical case of form over function. They seem designed by a marketing team not orthopaedic engineers.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 09:52   #20
Paddybear

I have an XC60 R-D and have to say that seats are superb. Never had any issues and feel fresh stepping out after a 4 or 5 hr journey. There is a foot height difference between me and my wife and she also comments on how comfy they are. I often drive other brands, some I now purposely avoid because of the seats, but I always enjoy going back to Volvo seats. Appreciate it doesn't help this thread but guess we are all different.
Paddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddybear For This Useful Post:

Tags
gel, inscription, pain, seat, uncomfortable