Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 ABS Fault

Views : 38223

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:24   #21
kiteski

b**ger car won't start now!!
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 22:15   #22
dominic99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasc2188 View Post
Hi,
Finally managed to repair my ABS fault on my XC90, although it wasnt really an ABS fault. Just wanted to share my experience with everybody just in case it helps. If you've read all of this thread, you will see that the car often flagged up the message "Anti Skid Service Required" when the car was started. The car would then often go into limp mode (stick in drive 3, a "-" where gearbox mode display should be). The limp mode could be cleared with switching car off and locking it with remote and then starting up again. Unfortunately the "Transmission Service Required" message would be displayed for the rest of the day. Sometimes it had both anti skid and transmission service messages displayed and sometimes just the transmission service message. Somedays the messages wouldnt appear, but one thing is for sure, if there was no messages on startup, the car would not go into limp mode. The car went to Volvo to plug into the diagnostic and the result was the DEM (differential electronic module) was off the network. I took the car away, armed with this information. I checked to see if the DEM was receiving the 12 V supply at the multiplg that plugs into the DEM itself. The 12 V was there no problems. Its worthy of note that the multiplug has a rubber boot around it. These can fail and not form a good connection with the DEM. They also come loose. Mine was fine but thought it worth mentioning. I took out the rear neaside seat to check the wiring below there. This was fine. I then emailed BBA Remanufacturing in Kent (UK) and asked if they could check these DEM's and repair them. They wouldnt commit themselves but they asked me to send it them. I removed the DEM from the car, which was a bit of a pig to get off. It is held in place by two 5mm bolts. They were really really tight and the first one snapped and I had to drill it out. Watch your eyes, i got metel in mine and ended up spending 3 hours down the A&E. I then sent if off to BBA. After about a week and a half, they rang me back and said the engineer had got it on the bench and had found a problem with the circuitry and wanted my permission to go ahead with the repairs. The next day it was returned via UPS. The repair cost me £128 which included the posting and packing, which may sound a bit expensive, but a new one is £1480 and then another £70 ish to code it to your car. So I was pleased with that. I put it back on the car and bingo, no problem, no limp mode and no messages.

You can check your modules if you hold the "Read" button at the end of your indicator stalk and press the rear fog light switch on and off twice (quickly). Wish I knew that before I embarked trying to sort out this problem.

Hope this helps
hi I think I have the same problem......abs warning light and brake warning lights at same time, failed its MOT today as a result so i need to get this sorted. I did the whole read button and fog lights button twice and it worked i got lots of codes but need a translation as i have no idea what they mean, can someone tell me please??? here they are....

DTCS in vehicle
BSM DTC set
SWM ready
REM DTC set
SAS ready
SRS ready
TCM checking
ECM DTC set
DEM ready
CEM DTC set
DIM ready
DDM DTC SET
CCM checking
PDM DTC set
VEM DTC set

Any of these relate to ABS module?????

Also where is the module and how can i get it out?

Last edited by dominic99; Sep 8th, 2011 at 22:18.
dominic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2011, 22:47   #23
dominic99

I have the same problem ABS warning lights and my xc90 has now failed its MOT because of the warning light (not so much as a bulb otherwise) ....great! i have found the below in-car diagnostis but have no idea what they mean or if there is any relevance to the ABS problem

DTCS in vehicle
BSM DTC set
SWM ready
REM DTC set
SAS ready
SRS ready
TCM checking
ECM DTC set
DEM ready
CEM DTC set
DIM ready
DDM DTC SET
CCM checking
PDM DTC set
VEM DTC set

Any bright sparks out there??

Last edited by dominic99; Sep 8th, 2011 at 23:12.
dominic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 00:17   #24
gasc2188

Hi,
Sorry for delay in replying, but only just logged back in for some other matter re my air con. Looking at your readings I would say the DEM is Ok. I am probably telling you things you already know, but when it says DTC set next to a module on the car, it means there is a fault code regarding that system. The DEM is saying ready, so I think the DEM is fine. I know how frustrated you must feel, as indeed I did when i was trying to get to the bottom of mine. I would advise taking the car to Volvo and getting a Volvo diagnostic check. I got one for £28 and I could then decide which way to go. I wasted a lot of time trying to guess. If I had my time to come again, I would go for the Volvo diagnostic everyday. Sorry I cant be any more help
gasc2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 14:10   #25
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

I think where you say BSM it should be BCM, or brake control module but as gasc2188 pointed out its better to get a diagnostic done as there can be a number of BCM faults and cures

For example mine recently had the anti skid service required warning and the following codes

BCM-0050 - Control Module faulty signal and
BCM 0121 - Yaw rate sensor signal outside permitted range
BCM 0139 - Pre pressure valve power booster signal outside its permitted range

All of them were found active.

I also had

DEM - 000A Power supply voltage, DEM Faulty value but this was inactive

I thought i was in for some expensive repairs but mine was cured by having the 4 wheels aligned and having the BCM recalibrated using VIDA (so volvo or independent)

I had the fault codes read and printed off, the wheels aligned and the BCM recalibrated for £99 and the message hasn't returned
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 17:15   #26
tailor

Hi Guys,

My 0.02 I have had a similar problem with a slew of error codes and found that the fuse #17 is blowing each time I replace it, this is for the AWD, so it lead me to believe that the Dem is at fault. I am about to go and remove the Dem and send it off to BBA (Canada) to look at. I have not had the Codes read by the dealer and will revert to them if all else fails.
Here is the post of my symptoms and findings:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=10&t=40973

Any other ideas would be welcome.
tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2012, 17:33   #27
nosmoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteski View Post
Interesting thread, my 6 month old XC90 came up with Brake Failure - Stop Safely warning last night. Followed by Anti skid service required, and the rev counter and speedo dropping to zero and then flicking back again.

Car is a manual and appears to drive fine, off to the dealer tomorrow as under warranty!

I am assuming its ok to drive and this is some kind of electronic warning, rather than the mechanical brakes being at fault?

cheers,

Greg
Greg

My new XC90 did exactly the same as yours, once so far. I took it in for warranty repair but the dealer can't replicate the fault, and now they are stumped. What was the outcome of yours?
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:12   #28
kiteski

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmoking View Post
Greg

My new XC90 did exactly the same as yours, once so far. I took it in for warranty repair but the dealer can't replicate the fault, and now they are stumped. What was the outcome of yours?
Blimey, just found this in my inbox and obviously hadn't replied! From memory it was diagnosed as software error, which an upgrade sorted out....
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 22:12   #29
Phillk

Default XC 90 abs

Hi new to this site and just taken procession of a 2004 xc90 d5. My problem is that the abs module has been changed and the abs and stability lights are on also when braking the front end vibrates/shakes right through to the steering wheel.
Any ideas the car is great apart from that cheers
Phillk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:22   #30
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasc2188 View Post

You can check your modules if you hold the "Read" button at the end of your indicator stalk and press the rear fog light switch on and off twice (quickly). Wish I knew that before I embarked trying to sort out this problem.

Hope this helps
Apols for digging up an old thread, but came across the above whilst browsing, and I'd say it's pretty handy to know!!

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post:

Tags
abs, brake, speedo, xc90