Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2001 LPG 1.8 Caliper Winding Tool

Views : 1919

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2014, 14:04   #11
Wainfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by doooford View Post
Hi all, really appreciate the answers but still seems that there is no tool that I can get under £30 that fits the bill without modification.

Why do the pistons need to be rotated anyway, just wondered if they are threaded?
I recently used a 3/8" inch drive brake piston cube (by laser) from machine mart,(code 5541) cost £5.99 including vat, can be used on many different cars.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 16:45   #12
doooford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paffel View Post
They need to be rotated as the handbrake mechanism also uses the same piston/pads as your rear foot brake mechanism.

For the brakes to engage, you need hydraulic pressure - which is great when you put your foot on the pedal, but when you want to get out, you need to take your foot off it. Ergo no pressure, no brakes.

The cable on the handbrake essentially rotates the piston slightly - as its threaded, it will move out/in depending on direction of cable force..

Perhaps think of it: As you apply the handbrake, you're effectively winding the piston out to allow the pad to meet the disc. Once you release, you are winding it in.

Thanks very much, that is a great explanation.
So if someone were to use a g-clamp, the amount of turns required is quite low then?
As I'm struggling to get any definite answers on which tool I need I think G-Clamp and plumbers grips it will be!
doooford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 16:48   #13
Paffel
VOC Member

Long nose pliers do work well - put the noses in the grooves, push (reasonably hard) and twist. Figure out which way it twists back first though (I usually mark the piston and mark the caliper in the same spot, then put the foot on the brakes momentarily, and see which was its moved, then just wind back the opposite)

The cubes also work well as above - you can get them cheap from ebay or elsewhere. You simply find the right fitting on the cube, then a wrench and extension bar will allow you to push and twist it.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-...FWT4wgodZ20Alw

Previous; '98 V70XC, '97 V40 2.0, '94 855 T5,'02 S60 D5,'97 V70 AWD,'90 740 Turbo,'97 855 T5 Auto,99 V70 10V,'04 S80 D5,'99 V70R AWD
Paffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 19:53   #14
doooford

Change of plan, was just about to buy the cube when this popped up on eBay as something I might like:-

UNIVERSAL NEW BRAKE CALIPER PISTON REWIND WIND BACK TOOL KIT 22 34 PIECES SET

It surely must have the right adaptor in it! I'll let you know how I progress :-)
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 11:45   #15
markgsv40

HI guys, for years I used the pump pliers and arse end of a hammer shaft(pushed by assistant whilst i rotated the piston)method, so i bought draper universal 3/8 drive cube. Not as universal as it says, did my Saabs brakes, tool didnt fit, and only last weekend did my V40 and that is not of the draper universe either.

Back to the pliers and hammer then.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 12:41   #16
flyingtech55

I believe you need the No. 1 plate.
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 21:15   #17
doooford

Quote:
Originally Posted by doooford View Post
Change of plan, was just about to buy the cube when this popped up on eBay as something I might like:-

UNIVERSAL NEW BRAKE CALIPER PISTON REWIND WIND BACK TOOL KIT 22 34 PIECES SET

It surely must have the right adaptor in it! I'll let you know how I progress :-)
Just to let you know, I did the job with this kit and it was a joy. Plate 6.
It's almost converted me into having the right tool for the job more often
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doooford For This Useful Post:

Tags
2001, brake, caliper, rewind, tool. s40