Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake adjuster 2004

Views : 2580

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2017, 15:22   #11
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

No - that's not right. If the lever is going all the way up, there's no more adjustment and there's nothing, then something is either broken or fitted incorrectly. Bedding in or fitting adjusters is not going to fix that.

If you're absolutely certain that everything is correct inside the hub AND the drum (incorporated in the disc) is all good, then you need to look at the cables.

If the lever is going up a few clicks and and there's poor handbrake performance, you might sort it out a bit with cleaning, bedding in and/or in-hub adjusters.

The in hub adjusters ONLY splay the brake shoes apart a little before the cable pulls them tight. That's all. All said, I've fitted them because I've found on this car and my previous that one side starts biting before the other and in my mind that isn't right, despite the wheels being fully locked on the 2nd to 3rd click. As in, on click 1, one side would turn easier than the other; I've fitted the adjusters and they're now equal. I tow a heavy log trailer.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 15:34   #12
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmith44 View Post
Sounds like the brake cable is stretched,new one needed.
If it is not stretched then it isn't fitted right.Even with worn out shoes there is room for adjustment.
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 22:55   #13
redjelly5000

I didn't say there was nothing, I said there was nothing left to give, as the adjuster is fully adjusted and the handbrake is up as far as I can pull it. The brake works, and it will hold the car - just, but as stated before, it's ineffective. The MOT showed as with yours, that one side is less effective than the other, but since the entire setup is brand new, and double checked by the MOT garage (not the original installer, as was installed under previous ownership) it seems that the shoes are just not reaching the drum soon enough. If the adjusters don't help, then the only other explanation can be that the cables are too long and I'll have to replace them. Seems odd if that's the case though, with them being new.
redjelly5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 00:07   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjelly5000 View Post
Seems odd if that's the case though, with them being new.
The newness won't make any difference if the parts are a crap quality and fit so what make are the parts that have been fitted? It should be easy to answer because quality makes clearly mark their products.

Also, have you checked the cable attached to the handbrake lever yet?
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 13:00   #15
redjelly5000

Problem solved in ten short minutes. Adjusters arrived this morning, fitted in ten minutes. The difference is definite. I have been able now to slacken the main adjuster by the handbrake lever right off and with both rear adjusters properly adjusted the handbrake lever now has the brakes locked solid within a few clicks. The lever is no longer high, the front adjuster is no longer fully screwed in, and the brake is sharp and positive without having to be Geoff Capes or pulling it up to your armpit.
So, I don't know specifically what's causing the trouble, I don't think it's down to cheap parts, I suspect it's actually just down to the thickness of the linings. As I read on here even the Pagid linings are known to be very thin, and nobody can accuse Pagid of being cheap parts (although I'm not saying mine are Pagid). The fact is that the linings just weren't running close enough to the drums and the handbrake lever didn't have enough adjustment or movement to get them there. The rear adjusters have taken up the slack and now the cables and lever can do their job properly. No idea why they decided not to add these adjusters from the factory, but I can only imagine that OEM shoes have thicker linings. Even Volvo themselves realised the need for these adjusters and provide them for this model. It's clearly not just my car.

Last edited by redjelly5000; Feb 17th, 2017 at 13:03.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 14:38   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjelly5000 View Post
Pagid of being cheap parts (although I'm not saying mine are Pagid). The fact is that the linings just weren't running close enough to the drums and the handbrake lever didn't have enough adjustment or movement to get them there. The rear adjusters have taken up the slack and now the cables and lever can do their job properly. No idea why they decided not to add these adjusters from the factory, but I can only imagine that OEM shoes have thicker linings. Even Volvo themselves realised the need for these adjusters and provide them for this model. It's clearly not just my car.
Volvo don't feel the adjusters are necessary as they don't fit them from new. They sell them because people still want to buy them for whatever reason.
It's not the thickness of the lining either as they're all thin, even OE, it's the fit of the shoe and the friction quality of the lining but only a limited number of manufacturers seem to have grasped that.
The adjusters you've fitted are simply making up for poor fitting parts and really aren't necessary if the job is done right first time but at least you now have a handbrake worthy of the name now so.....
Look how long it's taken you though to get a road legal handbrake as a result of previous people's lack of understanding.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 20:02   #17
smk70

Default handbrake adjusters

The adjusters weren't made for the V70/S60 P2 they were fitted on earlier v70 P1 and XC70 it just happens that they will fit the later models.
They do help, if you don't fit genuine shoes the difference is fantastic. My handbrake was always only just good enough and was getting an advisory at MOT time now it will hold the car and caravan on the steepest hills.
smk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:47   #18
redjelly5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The adjusters you've fitted are simply making up for poor fitting parts and really aren't necessary if the job is done right first time but at least you now have a handbrake worthy of the name now so.....
I think the point here is that they're poorly FITTING parts as opposed to poorly FITTED parts. I know what I'm doing on a car, and I cannot fault the way the parts have been fitted, whomever did the job. Clearly the shoes used here were not the OEM shoes, and maybe if they were the problem wouldn't have been there, but the installation of the adjusters for just a meagre cost has ensured any pattern parts can be used in future. I don't always agree that genuine parts are the best, and can name many occasions where patterns parts are in fact an improvement, sometimes in quality, sometimes in fitment, and sometimes in longevity. Almost all handbrakes I've done in the past have had these adjusters, on various car makes, and they serve a worthwhile purpose.

Also, think about the physics of brake shoes. If you can only adjust the cable, then the only adjustment is at one end of the shoe meaning that the pressure applied when braking is all at one end, causing uneven wear. With adjustment at both ends of the shoe, the shoe can be more evenly pressed into the arc of the drum meaning it's more efficient, with more surface area in contact, and therefore evenly wearing for extended longevity.

I spoke to the garage that did the MOT who said this is a real common problem even sometimes with genuine parts. Even Volvo parts dept have told me that they do in fact advise adjusters for this model when this problem is reported.
The Following User Says Thank You to redjelly5000 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 19:21   #19
bulldogdrummond

I replaced discs handbrake shoes and spring kit, also bought rear cables and then on a sunday morning had to look for the cable attached to the lever, as Cheshire D5 said this seems to be common, and my only had a few strands left intact. I opted not to fit the adjusters but I guess thats down to preference.
bulldogdrummond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004, adjuster, brake, handbrake, v70