Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car functionality.

Views : 3564

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2019, 20:51   #11
I Feel Old

Tis all very interesting fellas, however it doesn't help me understand my issues…and you'll likely put those in the know off admitting they have modern cars.

I'll confess to being somewhat won over by technology over the years. Most, but certainly not all, technology enhancements I dismissed have pleasantly surprised me over the years.

An example on my last car being the bendy xenon headlights. It was new, but sitting in the showroom with the dealer desperate to shift it, so xenon I had an open mind on, the bendy bit I simply thought was a gimmick…no longer, so much so I wanted them on my Volvo…and of course along with that comes the shadow technology…not perfect, but a fantastic function.

In addition the new to me in the Volvo which, having previously seen as a gimmick, I rate;

The HUD
Auto speed limiter
The tailgate sensor opening (if I could get it to work properly)
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 21:11   #12
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
Tis all very interesting fellas, however it doesn't help me understand my issues…and you'll likely put those in the know off admitting they have modern cars.

I'll confess to being somewhat won over by technology over the years. Most, but certainly not all, technology enhancements I dismissed have pleasantly surprised me over the years.

An example on my last car being the bendy xenon headlights. It was new, but sitting in the showroom with the dealer desperate to shift it, so xenon I had an open mind on, the bendy bit I simply thought was a gimmick…no longer, so much so I wanted them on my Volvo…and of course along with that comes the shadow technology…not perfect, but a fantastic function.

In addition the new to me in the Volvo which, having previously seen as a gimmick, I rate;

The HUD
Auto speed limiter
The tailgate sensor opening (if I could get it to work properly)
I had a V60 D4 Inscription as a courtesy car recently and I have to agree with you there. The HUD is a nice feature once you get over staring at it rather than where you’re driving and where has the active limiter been all my life? Ok, it’s got a flaw in it which is a little annoying but maaaaan I like it. Motorised tailgate? I can live without that, it’s a potential fail that could be a pain in the chuff. I have bendy lights on my V60 and they’re ok but I can live without em TBH. I have to admit though, I’m quite taken with the glass roof with retracting headliner. Modern cars are great until they go wrong then it’s off to the dealers rather than patching em up on the side of the road enough to get you home.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 15:28   #13
I Feel Old

I have established the red car warning was City Safety detecting an obstacle.

It has 3 settings with mine being on normal. Reluctant to reduce its sensitivity for now so will monitor it.

A bit concerning that it activated without me considering there to have been any risk.

Surprised no one else has experienced it, you can’t all be running around in Classic Volvos?
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 16:27   #14
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

(Stating personal and biased view)

Quote:
you can’t all be running around in Classic Volvos?
Why not?

Most of volvos that I see nowadays are either "classics" (that is over 10 years in this example), and drivers seem mostly aware of what's going on around them. I can quite easily expect good percentage of those to at least visit this forum.

Then there's new ones. Unfortunately, what I see (and it may be different elsewhere) mostly big, driven by someone whose head barely clears dashboard, self centered and apparently requiring at least 30 metres clearance on both sides of car to pass safely.

Now, I wouldn't expect such a person to even know of this sites existence..

All that is actually a half-joke.

I may be only having a little of a banter session here, but yes, unfortunately I can see something I call for myself "a BMW behaviour" with more and more Volvo drivers. Interestingly- new models.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:00   #15
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
(Stating personal and biased view)

Why not?

I may be only having a little of a banter session here, but yes, unfortunately I can see something I call for myself "a BMW behaviour" with more and more Volvo drivers. Interestingly- new models.
Thomas, it's when they start displaying Audi syndrome, then you have real problems.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:09   #16
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Thomas, it's when they start displaying Audi syndrome, then you have real problems.
Let's hope it'll never get to that
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:20   #17
I Feel Old

Okay, how about a simple question for you simple folks?

Do any of you have the sensor (under the bumper) operated tailgate, and if you do does it work flawlessly, ie every time?
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:32   #18
Welton
Premier Member

I'm guessing you mean the tailgate opening/proximity sensor? you waggle your foot around in the vein attempt to look organised but hopelessly missing the target?

If so is it not just a case of cleaning the sensor 'eye' (if it has one) I'd imagine it'll be caked in shyte at this time of year.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:34   #19
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

Do any of you have the sensor (under the bumper) operated tailgate, and if you do does it work flawlessly, ie every time?

"simple folks"

Not me, no.
Neither bendy lights, reversing sensors, etc...
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 17:39   #20
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:

I just press a button, works every time. Can't be doing with a aerobics workout each time I want to put something in the boot.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote