Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V is for vibration

Views : 8824

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2019, 06:46   #41
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

@Giles1234 have you had the replaced prop shaft fitted?

My car is going in today for an initial assessment. I'll be mentioning that I'm aware of others with issues so hopefully they can do some research and not let it drag on.
Bash D Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:49   #42
Deman77
Master Member

I have had mine hunter machine force balanced and a slight resonance that I get around 75 did not go away but it disappears by itself at higher speed. I pushed her to 225kph on an autobahn and it was no louder than at 50mph nor did it feel unstable in any way. I think if there was smth really bad it would just keep getting worse the higher the speed.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 14:27   #43
Giles1234

I have been using the car for the last few weeks with the "modified" original propshaft refitted while a replacement was ordered. It has been slightly better but I'm still getting noticeable vibrations at highway speeds. Today, the car has gone in to have the new propshaft fitted and tested at speed. Hopefully this will solve the issue. I will report back.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 20:00   #44
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

Bit of a waste of time today. "There were wheel weights loose". Yea, right, sure there were. 🙄🙄🙄

Within 15 minutes of leaving I was back on the phone getting it booked back in. The Lead Tech supposedly road tested it but couldn't feel anything untoward. I pointed out that the bulletin said the test should be done with the customer present but it wasn't.

It's booked in for an extended stay next week with a road test with me and Tech taking place first.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 21:16   #45
Giles1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash D Bishop View Post
Bit of a waste of time today. "There were wheel weights loose". Yea, right, sure there were. 🙄🙄🙄

Within 15 minutes of leaving I was back on the phone getting it booked back in. The Lead Tech supposedly road tested it but couldn't feel anything untoward. I pointed out that the bulletin said the test should be done with the customer present but it wasn't.

It's booked in for an extended stay next week with a road test with me and Tech taking place first.
I was having these problems with the service team until I switched to Leatherhead Volvo. They seem to really know the cars, they took the time to listen to me explain the problem and then set about witnessing it themselves. This is no easy task as it only really gets bad above 75mph and on the m25 during working hours that is pretty difficult to achieve in itself! Anyhow, the garage called this afternoon to say the new prop has been fitted and the road test confirmed that the vibrations have been cured. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and verify myself. Maybe I’ll be eating my words but hopefully not!
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 06:20   #46
bigx86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles1234 View Post
I was having these problems with the service team until I switched to Leatherhead Volvo. They seem to really know the cars, they took the time to listen to me explain the problem and then set about witnessing it themselves. This is no easy task as it only really gets bad above 75mph and on the m25 during working hours that is pretty difficult to achieve in itself! Anyhow, the garage called this afternoon to say the new prop has been fitted and the road test confirmed that the vibrations have been cured. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and verify myself. Maybe I’ll be eating my words but hopefully not!
Have you verified that the vibrations have been cured mate?

My Volvo retailer is not willing to help me with my vibrations anymore...
bigx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 18:29   #47
Giles1234

Yes all good now bigx86. The traffic has been heavy all week on the M25 so I've only been able to get up to 80 / 85 once or twice for a short distance but I am satisfied that the vibrations I had before have now gone.

All I can say is that Leatherhead Volvo have been brilliant. The previous garage in London were dismissive of the problem at best, at worst they couldn't tell there was anything wrong with the car.

You should try a different garage. I did find out that there are numerous different causes of vibrations and it's a process of elimination. If it turns out that the cause is something not covered by warranty, then it's going to cost to put right. I was convinced that it was a warranty job so took the gamble. But if you have dinged a wheel or pushed the suspension in the wrong direction then understandably the warranty won't cover it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 16:38   #48
Bash D Bishop
Volvo Virgin

My dealer has my car for an extended period. Looking at VOC, it appeared to sit exactly where I had left it for all of Day 1. On Day 2 it moved around 9 miles for the afternoon (no idea what could be at the location) before returning to the dealer. It then went 45 miles to the Workshop Controllers house (I agreed to this for the purpose of a roadtest) before returning to the dealership on Day 3. It's not moved since.

If it doesn't move tomorrow I'll be back on to them.