Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996 850 T-5 - Has my timing jumped?

Views : 511

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 21:20   #1
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Default 1996 850 T-5 - Has my timing jumped?

This evening I got into my T-5 to take it a drive. I haven’t used the car the past few days and felt I should take it out. As I attempted to start the car, it coughed and spluttered and then cut out, this was maybe a second at most. As I attempted to restart it, it seemed to spin over quickly. Fearing the worst, I stopped what I was doing sharply and didn’t attempt to try and start it until I’d checked the belt.

Removing the belt cover, the belt is still in one piece and seems ok in this respect, but looking at the timing marks in white, even without setting them in line with the marks on the cam cover, they don’t seem to be in sync. I’m hoping that the pic I have taken will upload on this thread, and I welcome suggestions on whether it is or isn’t likely to have jumped.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31D5470A-BA75-4D09-8CD8-99FA201B2948.jpg (73.8 KB, 37 views)
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 08:59   #2
volvo again
Master Member

Without turning the engine over to get the marks lined up with the cam cover, you can't really tell if the belt has slipped, you also need to check that the crankshaft mark is in the right place.
Unless the belt tension is loose I think it's unlikely to have slipped.
If it has, the hydraulic tensioner may be faulty, when was the belt last changed?

My advice would be, remove plugs making it easier to rotate engine, carefully turn it over, line up the timing marks & check nothing jams. May need to remove & replace belt & tensioner.

Symptoms also sound like it may be a faulty camshaft sensor...

Last edited by volvo again; Jun 20th, 2019 at 09:02.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 15:49   #3
V70Zig
Master Member

Many years ago I had a Cavalier that stripped the teeth off the belt resulting in fast turnover but no start...only way to tell is if you can see the lost teeth at the bottom, take the belt off to check it or and possibly not advisable.... get someone to very briefly try to start it whilst you look to see if the cams turn with the cover off.....

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 22:25   #4
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I believe these are interference engines (I may however be wrong). If it had stripped teeth from the cambelt, presumably the pistons would then make contact with the valves and I wouldn't expect it to turn over at all. The fact it will still turn over is probably a good sign.

If you can turn the engine over by hand then you should be able to see if the camshafts move sensibly without much risk of doing any damage.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 22:35   #5
oblark

These are interference engines and if the timing slips the valves make contact with the pistons. It will still turn over by hand and on the starter motor but won't have any compression as the valves are bent and not closing. I can speak from experience as I had a timing belt jump and it wrecked the engine.

1996 850 AWD M4.4 ECU with COP`s, K24 turbo, 3.25" MAF,
oblark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:22   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I see. My experience is confined to the D5252t diesel engine. After the belt broke you couldn't turn it over by hand or on the starter and that was with just one bent valve.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:50   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
This evening I got into my T-5 to take it a drive. I haven’t used the car the past few days and felt I should take it out. As I attempted to start the car, it coughed and spluttered and then cut out, this was maybe a second at most. As I attempted to restart it, it seemed to spin over quickly. Fearing the worst, I stopped what I was doing sharply and didn’t attempt to try and start it until I’d checked the belt.

Removing the belt cover, the belt is still in one piece and seems ok in this respect, but looking at the timing marks in white, even without setting them in line with the marks on the cam cover, they don’t seem to be in sync. I’m hoping that the pic I have taken will upload on this thread, and I welcome suggestions on whether it is or isn’t likely to have jumped.

Thanks in advance.
Cam belts don't jump a tooth ..... the clue is you said you have not used the car for a while and the engine spins over quickly ... The hydraulic valve tappets may have drained in which case keep trying , spin it over for 15 seconds with a wait of a couple of minutes to let the starter cool try again a few times .. it will eventually fire on one or two cylinders , then pick up and fire on more , then be ok with any luck .
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 14:16   #8
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Cam belts don't jump a tooth ..... the clue is you said you have not used the car for a while and the engine spins over quickly ... The hydraulic valve tappets may have drained in which case keep trying , spin it over for 15 seconds with a wait of a couple of minutes to let the starter cool try again a few times .. it will eventually fire on one or two cylinders , then pick up and fire on more , then be ok with any luck .
Happened to me, in fact I called the AA out as the starter was cranking so quickly I was sure the belt must be snapped. Lawnmower syndrome he called it.
The strange thing is it has only happened once in 260,000 miles despite many occasions of the car being left for long periods unused or just started briefly.

Hope that is all your problem is.
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 14:31   #9
Joe H

Adding pictures to Clan's words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3InZVPLYgqs

Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 20:49   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It is possible for a timing belt to skip a few teeth, I had it happen to me on a mk1 VW Passat, fortunately that was a 'non interference' engine so I got away with just realigning the crank and cam shafts and fitting a new belt. The cause of that was the failure of the bearing in the belt tensioner so the belt was worn and slack, maybe a special case but still possible.

Looking at Josephs picture it would seem that the timing marks on the wheels will not align with the notches on the cover at the same time. I'd be inclined to carefully turn the engine with a spanner on the crankshaft to align all of the marks and check them, given that the engine has already been turned over 'As I attempted to restart it, it seemed to spin over quickly.' turning it through a full cycle by hand shouldn't do any more damage.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote