Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

fuel tank

Views : 681

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:33   #1
bob13

Default fuel tank

Does anyone know if the fuel tank on 440 has positive pressure. There is a hiss when i take the fuel cap off, and i think the air is coming out not in. But i havent heard it before until the hot weather.

Last edited by bob13; Jul 23rd, 2006 at 12:43.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 22:42   #2
ebdl
At ease!

If it's fuel injected then the whole fuel system is pressurised. I presume that this would include the tank to some extent, though I may be wrong. In an case I remember my 440 used to do the same thing, so I don't believe it's anything to worry about (I'm happy to be corrected about this).

Ed
ebdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 20:28   #3
Ambiesda

"Does anyone know if the fuel tank on 440 has positive pressure. There is a hiss when i take the fuel cap off, and i think the air is coming out not in. But i havent heard it before until the hot weather."

There is a breather/ventilation pipe for the tank. Between the tank and the breather, there is a non spill valve in case the car turns over. It stopps fuel leaking out of the breather. It's a black plastic pipe like housing with a ball inside, which drops onto a sealing face if the car is inverted in a smash. In the early 1990 cars, the breather pipe stopped under the rear offside wheel arch. As the cars were being driven, the negative pressure in the tank, as the petrol was being used, sucked in grit from the road surface, the grit being thrown up from the offside rear tyre. In some extreme circumstances, the anti inversion spill valve would get totally clogged, resulting in the fuel tank being compressed by the external air pressure, and the float reading to the fuel gauge would show the tank being half full, but it was actually empty, the underside of said tank being distorted upwards, and the internal design of the tank made to protect the pump filter and fuel level float. (Personal experience) Volvo came out with a modification to extend the breather pipe as far back as the rear bumper, but this still sucks in dirt thrown up from the road surface, especially in long hot dry spells.
Might be wise to check the tank breather and A/IS valve.

Regards

Malky
Ambiesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:08   #4
bob13

Looks like it was the valve, there was no flow of air, gave it a good clean and now it seems to work air is flowing and it it stops when the valve is tilted. Only time will tell.

Last edited by bob13; Jul 25th, 2006 at 12:10.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:19   #5
bob13

Since i cleaned the valve there is still a hiss from the tank (not as loud a hiss). Looking at the pipes it looks like a closed system with the pipe from the valve going to the cardon filter under the front drivers side wing. So maybe a little hiss is the norm in warm weather ??.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 17:46   #6
manickbarry

mine dose the same whenever i remove the filler cap after driving the is a release of air i observed