Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

temperature gauge not working

Views : 3486

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 18:38   #1
manickbarry

So I had a leak today on a coolant pipe that feeds the heater matrix and T’s off towards the inlet manifold.

I fixed it by cutting off the bit that split and reconnecting it (only just fits now).

My problem now is that the temperature gauge on the dash doesn’t work anyone have any ideas, I have checked the connection on what I think is the sender unit next to the thermostat and one that is the other end by the alternator.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 20:44   #2
manickbarry

Hi can anyone tell me which of these controls the temperature gauge on the dash?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01187.JPG (68.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01188.JPG (54.4 KB, 29 views)
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 22:26   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Lightbulb

Hi,

I think it is the first one.
But the thing to do would be to disconnect both and clean up the contacts each end (block and cable) and reconnect and test.
Pluging together and disconnecting several times once cleaned can also help..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:33   #4
manickbarry

thanks will try today.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 18:56   #5
manickbarry

I found the right one it is round the back of the engine just behind the distributor (it was loose), I don’t have a clue what the other ones are, the one in my first picture when disconnected activated a green triangular warning light on the dash, and the second one did nothing.

If anyone knows what they are I would like to know.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 00:58   #6
jubjub

the temp sender is located at the back of the cylinder head and has only one wire on it, if its suspected to be faulty then your local volvo parts desk will get you one for around £12, be sure to specify if you have the info centre or not as theyre different to ones without it, the other sensor located next to the oil filter is the oil presure switch which would put on the oil light on the dash should your oil be low or low oil preasure, hope this helps m8
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 14:17   #7
mollusk
VOC Member

Hi manickbarry,

The sensor in your first picture is NTC engine coolant sensor for the injection ECU (it provides a variable resistance dependent on temperature that allows the ECU to to adjust fueling according to whether the engine is cold, warm or hot etc.).

As jubjub says the second sensor is for the dash oil light (a simple pressure operated switch that earths the dash oil warning lamp - as oil pressure rises the switch breaks the earth and the light goes out). As you found the temp gauge sender is at the back of the head.

Mac.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote