Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oncoming Lane Mitigation - Country lanes

Views : 1535

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2019, 15:29   #1
jryoung

Default Oncoming Lane Mitigation - Country lanes

Hi,
I am looking to order a new XC40 soon.
does the oncoming lane mitigation interfere with country lane driving, where either the lane is wide enough for a close pass, or where you have to pull over to let someone pass?
Does the technology rely on white lines or will it start getting jumpy when driving down narrow roads with hedges etc and no markings?
jryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 08:30   #2
inchindown
Futurist

As far as I can tell, it only uses white lines for lane control on all roads. When there are no lines, the lane control indicator goes out and you lose this function.
inchindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 09:34   #3
844PHW
Master Member

There is an option on the touch screen to temporarily disable lane departure mitigation should it prove annoying along some stretch of road.

There is also collision mitigation to consider. It sometimes seems over cautious. However, I don't find the loud bell occasionally dinging at me a problem

Last edited by 844PHW; Jun 21st, 2019 at 09:38.
844PHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 17:19   #4
jryoung

Great - just placed the order today, R-Design D4 (for towing)
jryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jryoung For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 12:21   #5
jamei305

Oncoming lane mitigation only works above 60KM/h, and it only activates where you have let your car drift across a clearly marked line into the path of another vehicle.

I can't see how it would interfere with normal country lane driving.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 10:43   #6
844PHW
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamei305 View Post
..... and it only activates where you have let your car drift across a clearly marked line into the path of another vehicle.
I don't think it actually has to be into the path of another vehicle - merely crossiing the line is sufficient. Also it will activate as you approach the line. It will try quite hard to prevent you crossing over.

I earlier mentioned the car dinging at me sometimes. On reading the manual more closely, this seems to be City Safety detecting a possible oncoming cross traffic collision on a bendy road. In this case a collision is unlikely of course as the traffic is just following the line of the road (assuming the other vehicle negotiates the bend correctly).
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 19:20   #7
jamei305

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
I don't think it actually has to be into the path of another vehicle - merely crossiing the line is sufficient. Also it will activate as you approach the line. It will try quite hard to prevent you crossing over.
Perhaps you're thinking of Lane Keeping Aid, which is a different system, and somewhat less assertive in its outputs. You shouldn't see Oncoming Lane Mitigation activated unless you're about to have a serious collision.
jamei305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 17:10   #8
844PHW
Master Member

Yes, that looks like Lane Keeping Aid and previously, before encountering it, I had not thought of myself as apparently such a slack driver. All these things come under the City Safety umbrella, so my account of the car's City Safety system dinging at me could well be the Oncoming Lane Mitigation system getting a bit over cautious. It can be triggered by coming over the brow of a hill as well as around a sharp bend (or does it need both together - I'm not sure).

Last edited by 844PHW; Jul 1st, 2019 at 17:17.
844PHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 09:30   #9
844PHW
Master Member

It has occurred to me that in the above account of my experience, the key factor is that the car was over the centre line of the road because there were parked cars occupying the left edge of the road. Most of the time it is ok, but sudden changes seem to briefly trigger the alarm. (And yes it is a more hazardous situation than most).

Does all this gadgetry reduce the likelihood of an accident? Probably.