Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Ball joint rubbing against rim

Views : 682

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:59   #1
v70ed

Default V70 Ball joint rubbing against rim

Hi,

Rubbing got worse over the week, found the place where the ball joint rubs against the rim, may happen when turning right. Not driving until fixed. . .

Recently replaced: CV axle, wheel bearings, inner&outer tie rods, sway bar end links, ball joints

Is the ball joint not tightened enough? Why would it start sitting lower? Should I try new ones? Rims are 15", so possibly have the smallest/worst clearance situation

Old stuff include control arms and struts. Strut upper bolts are springy on top, and control arms were tight when last tested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rub.jpg (134.4 KB, 65 views)
v70ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 13:10   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I suppose a board rule about preventing a "non-expert" from answering first would be helpful...but here goes.

Remove the wheel and take a grinder to the edge/protrusion which contacts the wheel.
Hold the grinder at an angle which matches that of wheel's inner surface where scratched.
It doesn't seem to contact the wheel that much, ergo very little dressing will be needed.
Such dressing won't effect the removability of the nut and stud.

Off the top of my head I'll guess an aftermarket ball joint with a longer-than-usual stud was installed.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 13:41   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

What make is the new balljoint?
I'm guessing that it's not genuine Volvo, Lemforder or Meyle.

Also, how did you cross reference part numbers to be certain of a correct fit?
P2 Balljoints can be different shape dependant on model year.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 14:02   #4
oragex
Premier Member

To me, the length of the ball joint looks pretty standard - including the remaining threads near the bolt, see the link below. The struts or control arms have nothing to do with this clearance. I assume you use genuine 15" wheels ? I also have the 15" and there is about 1" clearance to the stud of the ball joint.

Looks like you replaced the whole hub/bearing with used parts. Were these from similar V70/S60 ? If you still have your old parts, may be worth comparing the dimensions

https://volvoforums.com/forum/attach...p-img_1335.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (175.9 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by oragex; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 14:30.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 14:25   #5
v70ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
What make is the new balljoint?
I'm guessing that it's not genuine Volvo, Lemforder or Meyle.

Also, how did you cross reference part numbers to be certain of a correct fit?
P2 Balljoints can be different shape dependant on model year.
The fit is for the old aluminium control arms with cone insert, these are by Quicksteer. I believe the CV axle was SKF and other things were SWAG.

I compared all parts with old ones before installation and they were identical within a millimeter. All replaced ones are new, replaced 2 weeks up to 3 months ago so some grime is already on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I suppose a board rule about preventing a "non-expert" from answering first would be helpful...but here goes.

Remove the wheel and take a grinder to the edge/protrusion which contacts the wheel.
Hold the grinder at an angle which matches that of wheel's inner surface where scratched.
It doesn't seem to contact the wheel that much, ergo very little dressing will be needed.
Such dressing won't effect the removability of the nut and stud.

Off the top of my head I'll guess an aftermarket ball joint with a longer-than-usual stud was installed.
Thanks. I wanted to prevent grinding as I thought it would mask a fundamental issue somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
To me, the length of the ball joint looks pretty standard - including the remaining threads near the bolt, see the link below. The struts or control arms have nothing to do with this clearance. I assume you use genuine 15" wheels ? I also have the 15" and there is a good clearance to the stud of the ball joint.

Looks like you replaced the whole hub/bearing with used parts. Were these from similar V70/S60 ? If you still have your old parts, may be worth comparing the dimensions

https://volvoforums.com/forum/attach...p-img_1335.jpg
The hub assembly was new, matched with the old one. I have been a little puzzled as to what exactly determines the center of the wheel. . . Can coils sag by 5 mm to affect this?

These are rims that a similar size to original ones, my winters are originals but they are out of reach to compare at the moment. . .
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 14:41   #6
oragex
Premier Member

No, the wheel is attached to the bearing plate (the one with the 5 holes for the lugs). And the bearing with it's plate sit inside the hub (spindle)

The coils will affect slightly the 'angle' of the control arm and rotate slightly the ball joint stud, but again, there is so much clearance between the tip of the ball joint and the wheel that I can't figure out what would cause this gap to vanish..

I've reuploaded my picture with a zoom in

Now not all 15" rims are the same.. the offset may be different, and the inner 'clearance' of the rim surface may not be the same. from your picture it is a little difficult to say but it looks like the surface of the rim makes an angle going towards the center of the rim. My genuine ones don't make such angle, the inner surface is 'flat' - the 'inner' diameter of the rim is the same across the section of the rim
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 11:04   #7
v70ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
No, the wheel is attached to the bearing plate (the one with the 5 holes for the lugs). And the bearing with it's plate sit inside the hub (spindle)

The coils will affect slightly the 'angle' of the control arm and rotate slightly the ball joint stud, but again, there is so much clearance between the tip of the ball joint and the wheel that I can't figure out what would cause this gap to vanish..

I've reuploaded my picture with a zoom in

Now not all 15" rims are the same.. the offset may be different, and the inner 'clearance' of the rim surface may not be the same. from your picture it is a little difficult to say but it looks like the surface of the rim makes an angle going towards the center of the rim. My genuine ones don't make such angle, the inner surface is 'flat' - the 'inner' diameter of the rim is the same across the section of the rim
Thanks for the nice picture, I showed it to the mechanic. They basically inspected the whole front end. The ball joint cones were found to be very slightly different, so the ball joints are now Meyle. I'd say they added 1 or 2 mm of free space, at most. Everything else was top notch. They did another alignment as final step. The rubbing is mostly gone, but it is still close enough that I think it still knocks sometimes on sharp turns over bumps. I guess I have to put bigger rims to get rid of it. . .
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:09   #8
MarvinMitt

Are these aftermarket 15" rims?
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 17:34   #9
v70ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinMitt View Post
Are these aftermarket 15" rims?
Yeah, could be Alessio (hub caps are Volvo ). As I recall, the original 15" ones were indeed flatter inside. People have historically opted for larger rims here, so this problem seemed obscure to everyone.