Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50T5 How can I have been this lucky? Coolant Cap Left Off!

Views : 947

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 14:01   #1
UKGenesis

Unhappy V50T5 How can I have been this lucky? Coolant Cap Left Off!

I am ashamed of myself.

I drive a V50 T5 FWD Manual '07.

In my rush to get away for the weekend, I left the coolant cap off of my header tank and proceeded to complete a 285 mile journey at high speeds.

I swear I never saw the temperature gauge do anything out of the ordinary during the journey.

Only after we arrived, slept the night, run it for a further 30 mile round trip did I see steam coming from the header tank under the bonnet. Popped it, commence S***ING myself after seeing an empty header tank with boiling coolant bubbling up the feed-pipe.

I let it all cool until it wasn't boiling, then I threw in what coolant I had available (500ml) and drove it a very slow 5 miles into town to a garage, bought 1 litre and threw that in, then had to top off the rest with something like 4 litres until the tank was full, so she took something like 5-6 litres of coolant at this point.

The absolute wildest thing is, she's completely fine. How on earth can I be this lucky? - Checked the coolant the following day, needed a bit more, then drove the 285 miles back home, not an issue. All power is there, there's no coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant, no smoke out the exhaust.

Are these engines just built like brick s*** houses or is my car screwed in some non-observable way? - I could do with knowing what I'm dealing with and what to look out for since I am getting it tuned next week after completing a full spec of bolt-ons, list below.

Airtek intercooler and boost pipe
K&N Typhoon
3" Downpipe and De-cat
GFB DV+ (To be installed).

PS I regularly change the oil every 5k with Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A5/B5

Last edited by UKGenesis; Jul 3rd, 2019 at 14:05.
UKGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 15:13   #2
kmb

Sounds like a very near miss, buy a lottery ticket is my advice
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 15:16   #3
kmb

Forgot to say, I think full capacity of coolant is 8 or 9L, so it sounds like you lost over half, but as it was recirculating and didn't get pushed to the reservoir then kept things working.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 16:19   #4
UKGenesis

Pretty incredible I dodged the worst of it then. I'm certain to the nearest litre on the amount required to top up.

Thank you for the advice there, it must have been just enough... can't believe my luck...
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 21:41   #5
UKGenesis

Update, that T pipe off of the thermostat has broken it's plastic surround and it's leaking slowly when warm from there. Nothing I can't fix myself thankfully, seems it's a common fault?

Tags
coolant, coolant cap, temperature, v50, v50t5