Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New key / fob off eBay for 2002 v40

Views : 1098

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2005, 20:23   #1
tomr

Default New key / fob off eBay for 2002 v40

Hello,

I'm a newbie here having just bought a 2002 volvo v40 - which looks to have been a good choice.

I have the same dilema as I have seen others have reported: I only got 1 key with my car and object to paying £150-£200 for a second key from my local dealer. Previous postings suggest getting a key off eBay and taking it to a dealer, thus only paying a more reasonable reprogramming charge.

Has anyone actually done this successfully with this model of car? The local volvo dealer say this won't work. I've read on the newsgroups that you need a numeric code that comes with the key so unless your second hand key comes with that then you're not going to succeed. A different volvo dealer said they had never heard of doing this. Someone else on a newsgroup said you can't do it for a v70 but you can a v40. A definitive answer would be appreciated!

No guarantee required ;-) as I'll take a gamble on spending ten/twenty quid on it - just want to know if I'm wasting my time and whether I'll discover that a dealer can't/won't do it.

Cheers,

Tom
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 18:30   #2
woody-som

Default RE: New key / fob off eBay for 2002 v40

don't know what happened to my reply yesterday?

You can buy them off ebay, and get a dealer to program the car, but the part number on the remote that you buy on ebay, must be the exact same part number as the one you already have with your car.

Different part numbers are used to different cars/systems, and are not interchaingable.

hope this helps

chris
woody-som is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 21:38   #3
tomr

I got notified of a reply but there wasn't one there. Strange.

Thanks, Chris. I'm getting a key and will see whether my local Volvo dealer change their mind and agree that it can be done.

Cheers,

Tom
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 12:50   #4
Carlos

I had the same problem with my 1998 S40 - it's a late model '98, the early '98s are dead easy apparently :(

Don't know if the 2002 models are the same, but my car uses rolling codes which can't be read by transponder key copying machines. Haven't been able to find an independent with the Volvo equipment either, so if I want a second key I need to order the cut key from the stealer (the key comes direct from Volvo they tell me) then take the car in to get it programmed, all for a mere 235 quid.

I can get a non-transponder key made for about eight quid, which would at least mean that if I lost my original key I could get my car and wallet towed to the nearest Volvo garage (or possibly get the factory immobiliser disabled and a Thatcham alarm/immobiliser fitted for that sort of money, but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it...).
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote