Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"only a dealership will do any work on a volvo"

Views : 2089

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2011, 13:13   #11
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Volvos not a good idea?

Au contraire M Tim L'Ecosse!

Volvo's are an excellent idea second hand because they are brilliant cars!

Get yourself a good 'un and the chances are you won't actually need any garage very much!

We've now owned a total of 12 different Volvos of all ages, and have never had a problem getting work done, or MoTs carried out, or servicing, or parts. Very often I've found the main dealers to be the best option - even on older models.

Some examples:

When I had my 1972 1800ES a few years ago, the car was well over 30 years old, but the local motor shop could actually supply a set of points and a condensor from stock!

A couple of weeks ago I bought two new front tyres and had the tracking checked on my 1997 V70. The fitter remarked on how easy it was compared with some of the newer Vauxfords and Fordalls he's more used to dealing with!

Last year, a cambelt change in my V70 came in at £160 all in, including a loan car - from the local main dealer!

And the genuine Volvo front discs and pads from Rufe (the world's friendliest and most helpful Main Dealer) for less than the cost of non-OEM stuff for a basic Disastra!

Buy your Volvo and Fear ye not!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Aug 17th, 2011 at 13:19.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 13:56   #12
Bernard333
Premier Member

You dont need a dealer , I got my V70 new in 2003 and had it serviced twice at a main dealer as I was under the misguided impression it was a necessary condition of the warranty and the pcp hire purhcase scheme but its not . The only item I would not attempt to dismantle and fix is the AW55-50 automatic gearbox and it would seem that main dealers would also not try to fix one of these themselves . There is a good independant in Glasgow (Volvomax) that I am impressed with and who seems to be able to do anything a main dealer can do but at a third of the cost . For the easy stuff like servicing I do it myself costing approx £25 doing the same thing a dealer charges £350 for .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 14:16   #13
tt82
Forum Support Team

Whoever told you that is seriously misguided and tbh, any garage that refused to work on a particular car make I would avoid like the plague, obviously don't have much confidence in their work if they do that.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 14:19   #14
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Tim,
However told you that Crock of SH!TE Please cut & Paste this Message from me & Give it to them

"Dear Sir,

I have been informed by my good Friend Tim that you have informed him he should not buy a second Hand Volvo due to any work required will HAVE to be carried out by a Volvo MAIN DEALER.

I am afraid that I must inform you, that you are talking UTTER BULLSH!T, there are many many Volvo INDEPENDENT Technicians located around the country who would be only too happy to carry out repairs using the Volvo Hard & Soft Wear that Volvo Main Dealers use.

Now, I thank you for reading this far & would respectfully suggest that you book an IMMEDIATE APPOINTMENT with your Doctor & ask if you can have a BRAIN SCAN .....Coz putting downright STUPID IDEAS like you have suggested into Tim's head says to me that there is defiantly something "A MISS" upstairs.

Respectfully Yours

A Driver of SEVERAL second Hand Volvo Automobiles.

^^^^^^^ YEP!!! I think that just about covers it ^^^^^^

KEITH
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 14:39   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

dont forget to ask his Dr to re aim the brain scan to a "region lower down, more used to sit upon"...else they may not find it,,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 14:42   #16
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplights View Post
I find most jobs fairly straight foreward on my V70 at least.I recently removed my heater matrix as it was leaking,it turned out to be one of the easyest jobs i have done on the car in five years.On most others makes it would be dash out ect.Whoever told you no one would work on them, was tallking out of his ar@e. As with other car forums you will find invaluable help on this one.
Yup! A piece of cake! An hour and a half tops even for a dolt like me! Plus You don't get so many of the rusted fasteners like you do on other makes of the same age!
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 16:12   #17
Gazdok
Master Member

I would say 2. hand Volvos are as good maintained as any 2. hand car by a good garage.

I try and avoid franchised Volvo dealers more and more.

I had a problem with my AWD and went into two dealerships after telling them over the phone beforehand what the problem was and the car required some fault finding.
After a couple of hours they got back to me telling the fault was what I had told them before and they do not have the time for fault finding and they would require the car again and asked for the payment. I was a bit cheesed off.

The one person who actually had a bit of knowledge and knew what he was talking about was the guy at a Volvo breakers yard!!!!

A colleague went into our local Volvo dealership with a non-functioning driver's door dead locking function and without even looking at the car they claimed it needed a new lock for £200+.

We opened the door up and found that one of the link rods had slipped out of its ankering point. Easy fix, no spares needed.
Pretty arrogant dealer approach.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 18:44   #18
940Graeme
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
I would say 2. hand Volvos are as good maintained as any 2. hand car by a good garage.

A colleague went into our local Volvo dealership with a non-functioning driver's door dead locking function and without even looking at the car they claimed it needed a new lock for £200+.

We opened the door up and found that one of the link rods had slipped out of its ankering point. Easy fix, no spares needed.
Pretty arrogant dealer approach.
Indeed, given this, and the many other Main Dealer horror stories on here - I would say the opposite to the opening post is true........AVOID main dealers and do it yourself or take it to an independant!!

Graeme
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 19:53   #19
scowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebab10 View Post
What rubbish. Took a Citroen GS to a Rover dealer for an MOT once for n MOT and he refused to do it as it was a Citroen. No problem at a FIAT dealer.
Needless to say didnt use the Rover dealer again. As for your mates statement, talking out of the hole in his ass!
No wonder the goons went bust!
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 08:19   #20
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
Tim,
However told you that Crock of SH!TE Please cut & Paste this Message from me & Give it to them

"Dear Sir,

I have been informed by my good Friend Tim that you have informed him he should not buy a second Hand Volvo due to any work required will HAVE to be carried out by a Volvo MAIN DEALER.

I am afraid that I must inform you, that you are talking UTTER BULLSH!T, there are many many Volvo INDEPENDENT Technicians located around the country who would be only too happy to carry out repairs using the Volvo Hard & Soft Wear that Volvo Main Dealers use.

Now, I thank you for reading this far & would respectfully suggest that you book an IMMEDIATE APPOINTMENT with your Doctor & ask if you can have a BRAIN SCAN .....Coz putting downright STUPID IDEAS like you have suggested into Tim's head says to me that there is defiantly something "A MISS" upstairs.

Respectfully Yours

A Driver of SEVERAL second Hand Volvo Automobiles.

^^^^^^^ YEP!!! I think that just about covers it ^^^^^^

KEITH
You know, Keith, there are times when you are just too subtle!

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote