Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 idle problem

Views : 6001

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:06   #21
Heather L

Thank you so much for that. Would.Bosch or a Bosch dealer be able to supply or will I need to go directly to volvo?
Heather L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 13:09   #22
B20F
Master Member

Here you can find the Bosch site with the Bosch parts for the Volvo 440 B18U (1.8i). According to the list you need the idle actuator listed as part# 0280 140 516.

edit:
I clicked on the image and it shows that 0280140516 is an idle control valve for the multipoint B20F engine! It is exactly the same part# which is on my idle control valve on my B20F. There seems to be a mistake made on the Bosch site, it is definatly not the part you need for your B18U!

Last edited by B20F; Jul 20th, 2011 at 13:36.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 13:37   #23
Heather L

Thanks, that could explain why the Bosch dealers could not find it and didn't know what I was talking about! I have also made enquiries directly to Bosch - will see what they come back with.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 13:45   #24
B20F
Master Member

I suggest you'll try to find the Bosch# on your steppenmotor. It should be on it somewhere, hope it's still readable though.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 14:04   #25
glasgowjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather L View Post
Did I mention a 480? It's a 440 not a 480 and I can assure you they come in both fuel injection and carburettor versions!
I know your 440 can come in injection and carb just pointing out that icv are used in injection systems.

But had not realised the difference between a B18u engine and B18f engine.

Just trying to be helpful and showing you what I am talking about in case there is a difference (which there was).

No need to be so defensive.
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 14:31   #26
Heather L

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgowjim View Post
idle control valves are used on all 480 volvo models and none of them have carburettors !

Your local volvo man is wrong !!!!

look up this thread on the volvo club 480 forum and you will be able to see the IDV in the pictures at the bottom of the thread.

http://volvo-480-europe.org/forum/vi...p?f=24&t=15569
Not being defensive merely stating facts. You were talking about 480s in your email, I was referring to a 440, so a totally different car.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 23:26   #27
c_lee
VOC26332

I rarely venture away from the 200 forum, not been here on the 400 forum for years and this post caught my eye.

When I had my 440Xi ( B 18U ) I had exactly the same problem at one point.
It was a very frustrating fault to cure.

I too replaced the stepper motor which didn't cure the problem - in fact I have just recovered the stepper motor box from my garage with the dismantled old stepper motor in it.
It also has the receipt in the box for the new motor ( £57.90 in 2003 ) - and the part number on the receipt.

On the receipt it says STEPPER MOTOR 0 132 008 600 ( This is the part number on the motor body too ).

But on the BOSCH box it has a different number 3 437 010 524-000
The box also has some more numbers on the Bosch label 192 087925

From memory, the actual fault turned out to be an intermittent connection on the main loom connector where the stepper motor plugs into it - I opened the connector and soldered it - cured. I figured that the flexing of the engine was disturbing the connection.

Hope this helps - Colin.

BTW Heather - I see you are in Bolton - I don't think there can be many B18U's in Bolton and the lady ( Heather I think it was ) that bought mine ( K***BND ) in 2006 was from Bolton.
Does hotelchocolate mean anything to you?

EDIT: Just noticed yours is a '95

Last edited by c_lee; Aug 10th, 2011 at 23:34.
c_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 02:28   #28
owenski

On the B18U 1.7 or 1.8 engine the Idle stepper motor is also known as an idle air control Valve

The Bosch one should cost you around £75 approximately from a Bosch dealer.

Volvo have never made this part and when the B18U engine was made by Renault to be fitted to the 440s they used the Bosch Idle stepper motors.

DO NOT buy this Bosch part from a Volvo dealer, as when I priced it from Volvo they wanted £115 for the same exact same Bosch part that I ended up getting from my local Bosch dealer for £75

Go to link below and just click on Dealer Locator at the top of the page and enter your postcode to find out your nearest Bosch Suppler.

http://www.boschautoparts.co.uk/

When you ring them they will ask for a Bosch part number for your idle stepper motor and the part number you need is 0132 008 600

A word of warning on cheap ebay idle stepper motors

You can get cheap unbranded Idle stepper motors from many sellers on ebay. However I would not recommend buying these as I bought my first replacement stepper motor from ebay for £35. Thinking I would save a few pounds but however It just broke within a few weeks of me fitting it. Shortly after I noticed the cheap ones have a very weak thin black plastic cap at the end of the spring that breaks easy.

The genuine Bosch stepper motors have a much thicker harder plastic black cap at the end of the spring and this will not break on you unlike the cheap ones.

Last edited by owenski; Sep 9th, 2011 at 02:36.
owenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 23:10   #29
davejm

Bringing up this topic again my 1.8 with idle prob will have fits every so often of revs sticking sometimes 2000 - 3000 rpm this will last a couple of weeks and then be ok again for a bit.
Iv now discovered that when it starts playing up i unplug ecu plug and leave disconnected over night and in morning when i plug back in its fine again the only prob it almost stalls when you press the clutch to change gear but this is better than the high revving i have done this trick a few times now and as worked eveytime it must reset the system iv got a spare ecu and it does exactly the same with that one
davejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 22:11   #30
owenski

Davejm I had all these problems

in my experience this is all down to just 4 simple things and can be easy fixed yourself.

1 the idle stepper motor if your engine is a B18U could need replaced
2 the vacuum hoses that run from the back of the single point injection unit can be cracked and will need replaced.
3 the grip pins inside the long black ecu plug come apart and need to be closed with a jewelers screwdriver.
4 the solder joints inside the ecu unit need resoldering

Check the grip pins in your ecu plug if any of them look too wide apart you will need to find the smallest jewelers screwdriver (I got a set for a £1 in my local pound shop) then carefully push all the ecu pins together without breaking them. do all of them that look too open.

Also open up the ecu unit and check the solder joints on the back of the incoming pins and I in my case I soldered them all with my cheap £5 soldering iron . In many cases these have cracks and this will cause the revs to stick high.

if you feel you cannot manage this yourself do a google search for your local car auto electrics garage and get them to do it.

this will fix your idle problem